Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Great announcement for Native Americans
3/13/2010 4:52:58 AM
Hi Phil, Linda, Branka,

I am so far behind. How I appreciate your posts. Thank you all so much for your added information to this forum.

Linda ,I don't think there are any other people on this planet that been more abused then the Native Americans. Some day soon they will get their just dues. I look at their eyes and I see so much sadness, and so much pain. It is a heart pain of sadness. This is what I feel from them.

Blessings,
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/13/2010 6:04:40 PM

Quote:

Hi Myrna,

I was looking back here and thought it would be good to reuse your earlier post.

Great and interesting information.

Roger

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/14/2010 2:00:44 AM
Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for your post of all the Native Americans in the Northern America.
I found this today.

Tribal Leaders Close NCAI’s Executive Council Winter Session with Focus on the Administration and Legislative Issues

WASHINGTON—March 5, 2010—The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI), the oldest and largest Indian organization in the country, ended its Executive Council Winter Session with a focus on the President’s Fiscal Year 2011 budget, strategies for more effectively engaging the Administration, and legislative proposals that will affect Native people and communities in the coming months.

“We are pleased to have had so many critical partners in the Administration and Congress participate in our conference and dialogue about issues that are important to us,” said NCAI President Jefferson Keel. “I encourage tribal leaders to take these messages home to their communities.”

Before the first General Assembly, pre-meetings allowed for the exchange of information and sharing of tribal input on timely issues, including: federal recognition; violence against Native women; the fundamentals of health care reform and the Indian Health Care Improvement Act; land to trust; eagle feather use, acquisition, possession, and enforcement; and development of a national strategy for tribal natural resources.

General Assembly had a packed agenda, with messages from eight Cabinet Secretaries and Administrators and another seven speakers in positions in the Administration which are important to Indian Country. Attendees also heard from nine members of Congress regarding pending and future legislation impacting our tribal communities.

The fourth and final General Assembly ended with messages from the White House. Valerie Jarrett, the senior advisor and assistant to the President for Intergovernmental Affairs, talked about funding for Indian programs, White House staff working for Indian Country, President Obama’s Memorandum on Tribal Consultation, and the First Lady’s “Let’s Move” initiative, which was created to address childhood obesity. Jarrett closed saying, “I think we have made some great strides already, but there’s much more to do. I can assure you that the President is working overtime, reaching out, and doing his part to make a difference. His commitment to partner with you, to take on the issues that matter most to you—this commitment remains firm—and we are resolved to bring about positive change that will move our country—and Indian Country—forward.” Kim Teehee, the senior policy advisor for Native American Affairs, talked about the “open door” policy for tribal leaders at the White House and the listening sessions that the White House will continue to hold in D.C. and throughout Indian Country.

On Tuesday, a press conference with NCAI President Keel; National American Indian Housing Council Executive Director, Mellor Willie; and National Indian Health Board Secretary, Cynthia Manuel was held to address the President’s Fiscal Year 2011 budget proposal. “Tribes need access to the same resources that other governments have to promote the well-being of Indian people,” said NCAI President Jefferson Keel. “In every area of the federal budget, Indian programs receive less per capita than for the rest of the nation. The budget that the President has proposed for Fiscal Year 2011 will build on some of the investments made in last year’s budget for public safety, contract support costs, and health care.”

Conference attendees also got to participate in some evening activities. Monday evening, NCAI held its 12th Annual Leadership Awards Dinner. This year awards were presented to: U.S. Congressman Xavier Becerra; Rear Admiral Eric B. Broderick; Elouise Cobell; Professors Joseph P. Kalt and Stephen Cornell; and Marie Howard. On Tuesday evening, attendees spent an evening at the National Museum of American Indian for the Capitol Hill Legislative Reception, where all of the exhibits were open and participants had time to socialize with staff from the Congress and Administration.

After the conference adjourned, there were additional meetings to provide an opportunity for in-depth dialogue on critical issues, including: a tribal leader caucus to prepare for the HHS Budget Consultation; a National Criminal Justice Association and NCAI tribal-state collaboration meeting; the NCAI Tribal Homeland Security/Emergency Management Workgroup meeting; and an open discussion on the Department of Justice consultation plan.

To view copies of speeches, resolutions, pictures, and documents distributed during the session, please visit NCAI’s website at www.ncai.org.

NCAI will convene again in Rapid City, South Dakota on June 20-23, 2010 for its Mid-Year Session.

I believe that something good is coming for the Native Americans. yes it is about time.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/14/2010 2:17:52 AM

Myrna, My Dear Friend,

Your wish is my Command...

Be Blessed My Sweet Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Gail Chamberlain

663 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/19/2010 6:59:30 PM

Ghost of the White Deer

Chickasaw

Native American Indian Lore

A lore of the Chickasaw People of Oklahoma

A brave, young warrior for the Chickasaw Nation fell in love with the daughter of a chief. The chief did not like the young man, who was called Blue Jay. So the chief invented a price for the bride that he was sure that Blue Jay could not pay.

" Bring me the hide of the White Deer, : said the chief. The Chickasaws believed that animals that were all white were magical. "The price for my daughter is one white deer." Then the chief laughed. The chief knew that an all white deer, an albino, was very rare and would be very hard to find. White deerskin was the best material to use in a wedding dress, and the best white deer skin came from the albino deer.

Blue Jay went to his beloved, whose name was Bright Moon. "I will return with your bride price in one moon, and we will be married. This I promise you." Taking his best bow and his sharpest arrows Blue Jay began to hunt.

Three weeks went by, and Blue Jay was often hungry, lonely, and scratched by briars. Then, one night during a full moon, Blue Jay saw a white deer that seemed to drift through the moonlight. When the deer was very close to where Blue Jay hid, he shot his sharpest arrow. The arrow sank deep into the deers heart. But instead of sinking to his knees to die, the deer began to run. And instead of running away, the deer began to run toward Blue Jay, his red eyes glowing, his horns sharp and menacing.

A month passed and Blue Jay did not return as he had promised Bright Moon. As the months dragged by, the tribe decided that he would never return.

But Bright Moon never took any other young man as a husband, for she had a secret. When the moon was shinning as brightly as her name, Bright Moon would often see the white deer in the smoke of the campfire, running, with an arrow in his heart. She lived hoping the deer would finally fall, and Blue Jay would return.

To this day the white deer is sacred to the Chickasaw People, and the white deerskin is still the favorite material for the wedding dress.

BD41909Hsenecaarmydepot

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!