Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Great announcement for Native Americans
2/8/2010 12:20:22 AM
Quote:

The Prayer of White Cloud

O Great Spirit,
Whose voice I hear in the winds,
And whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me!

Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made,
and my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.
I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy - myself.

Make me always ready to come to you
with clean hands ...
and straight eyes,

So when life fades, as the fading sunset,
my spirit may come to you ...
without shame.

Dear Phil,

I love this prayer, one line "to fight the greatest enemy, "myself". How true this is, and why it is so important to forgive oneself. I have learned so much about forgiveness in the last few years, and I am so much happier for it. I didn't really love myself like I should. I just get so much out of their prayers. Thank you so much.
Check this clip out. I like them better in their clothes.
Thanks my dear friend with blessings,
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/8/2010 12:31:36 AM
Hi folks,

Short story with a Native American.

Enjoy and send you all hugs, Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/15/2010 10:25:57 PM
Hi Folks,

This is a different look at the Native Americans

The Heartbeat Of Wiconi

"we-cho-nee" Lakota/Sioux language meaning "Life"

HECEL LENA OYATE KIN NIPI KTE
THAT THESE PEOPLE MAY LIVE

We carry a hope and a vision that the possibility exists to experience a better life in our broken world. As we seek to live and walk among the people in a good way by following the ways of Jesus-- affirming, respecting and embracing the God-given cultural realities of Native American and Indigenous people, not rejecting or demonizing them, we believe we will bring words of hope and life!

The thief comes only to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10

These words of Jesus, the Waymaker are the source of our confidence and hope; our source of abundant life! His words do not bring religion, legalism, shame, oppression or paternalism, though sadly, Christianity often does. Our prayer is that people will find life in abundance, spirit, soul and body!

As First Nations or Native American people we know what it means to suffer the loss of land, dignity, self-respect, life and a way of living. Though this has sadly become the normal every day reality for so many of our people, our aim is help create a better future for Native people.

Our desire is to serve Native Americans in the spirit of Jesus; to walk together in discovering genuine freedom and to experience spiritual power to overcome the influences of darkness that oppress our lands and communities. This evil is seen in alcohol and drug abuse, the wickedness of incest, poverty, despair and the horrors of suicide. There are dark and evil spirits that are stealing, killing and destroying our people every day. In addition, there are oppressive and unjust economic and political systems that continue to prolong dependency and control.

Hugs,

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/16/2010 5:56:55 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for all of the information and the Video. I'm always interested in learning as much as I can about Native American history.

Potawatomi Indians

Potowatami indians today are divided into seven distinct bands in the United States and three bands in Canada. They are a Woodland Indian tribe. The Potowatami language belongs to the Algonquin language stock.

The Potawatomi name is a translation of the Ojibwe "potawatomink" meaning "people of the place of fire." It has also been translated by various sources as: Fire Nation, Keepers of the Sacred Fire, and People of the Fireplace - all of which refer to the role of the Potawatomi as the keeper of the council fire in an earlier alliance with the Ojibwe and Ottawa.

In their own language, the potowatami people call themselves Neshnabek, a Potawatomi word that refers to "original people". The Potowatomi also sometimes call themselves Anishinabe because at some time in the past, they were part of a larger tribe that split into three tribes.

They are also called the Adawadeny or Atowateany (Iroquois), Assistaeronon (Huron), Kunuhayanu (Caddo), Ouapou, Pekineni ( Fox), Pous, Poux, or Pu (French), Tcashtalalgi (Creek), Undatomatendi (Huron), Wahhonahah ( Miami), Wahiucaxa (Omaha), Wahiuyaha (Kansa), and Woraxa (Iowa, Missouri, Otoe, and Winnebago). Common misspellings of potowatami include Potowatami, Pattawatima, Putawatimes, Pouteouatims, and Poutouatami.

The oral history of this tribe says the Potawatomi originated in the Great Lakes area and more than likely in the area we now call Wisconsin. They then migrated toward the east and lived there along with the Ojibwa and the Odawa. As a result of a spiritual happening these tribes migrated back to the West and eventually returned to the Great Lakes area, where they were known as the Anishinabe.

It was here in the place known today as Sault Ste. Marie that the people divided into the three tribes as they are called today. The Chippewa (Ojibwa) were to become the oldest brother and the Keepers of the Faith. The Ottawa (Odawa), the middle brother, was to become the Keepers of the Trade, and the Potawatomi (Bodewadmi) the youngest brother was to become Keeper of the Fire. That is Keeper of the Sacred Fire that was carried by them as they traveled. It was also at this time that the brothers divided into different lands.

The Potawatomi then went to land located to the South of Sault Ste. Marie and at the time of first contact by the Europeans were living in what is today lower Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin.

The bands in the US include the Prairie Band Potawatomi in Kansas; Citizen Potawatomi Nation in Oklahoma; Hannahville Indian Community in northern Michigan; Match-e-be-nash-she-wish Band, in Michigan (also known as the Gun Lake Tribe); the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi of Athens, Michigan; Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians residing primarily in southern Michigan and northern Indiana. The Walpole Island First Nation community lives on an unceded island between the United States and Canada (their mail carries an Ontario address) and the Stoney Point and Kettle Point Bands live in Ontario, Canada. The Wasauksing First Nation (Parry Island) are located at Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada.

Have A Blessed Day My Dear Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/16/2010 7:47:17 PM
HI Phil,

You just hit the jackpot with this one. It is lovely, and right, because love is the answer and the only answer to life. Thank you so much. I will keep this one close. Thank you.
Blessings and hugs,
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!