Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10 Commandments of Character
8/23/2005 2:00:05 PM
Relationship of the Ten Commandments to Character by Ron Kurtus (30 June 2002) Hello my friends, People who follow the 10 Commandments These Commandments concern both spiritual worship and dealing with others in a respectful manner. Questions you may have on this are: * Which commandments relate to spiritual worship? * Which commandments relate how to deal with others? * Do you have to be of a particular religion to have good character? This lesson will answer those questions. There is a mini-quiz at the end of the lesson. Commandments The first three of the Ten Commandments are spiritual or religious commandments and the final seven are social rules. Spiritual commandments The first three commandments included in the Biblical 10 Commandments can be paraphrased as: 1. Love God 2. Don't abuse the name of God 3. Spend religious time at least once a week These commandments relate to a person's religious or spiritual attitude. A religious person is not necessarily one of high character. But people with good character are usually religious, Social commandments Commandments 4 through 10 are concerned with how you deal with other people. The Golden Rule summarizes these commandments: "Do unto others, as they would have you do unto them." 4. Honor your parents 5. Don't kill or harm others 6. Don't commit adultery 7. Don't steal from others 8. Don't say lies or bad things about others 9. Don't covet or be jealous about others' property 10. Don't covet or be jealous about others' relationships Interestingly, only one commandment tells you what to do, while the other six tell what not to do. Coveting Two commandments concern being jealous or coveting what someone else has. Perhaps it is because coveting may lead to scheming, stealing, or even killing to get what you want. Honoring parents important The commandment on honoring your parents relates to having strong family values, as well as respecting your elders and even your leaders. Likewise, the commandment against adultery also emphasizes family values, as well as leading a moral life. Relationship to character Being a person of high character means you are honest, moral, caring and courageous. Lacking in one of these areas does not mean you are a bad person, but it can be considered a character flaw. The Ten Commandments provide religious and social rules of behavior. Following the Commandments can help a person move toward having good character, but it is not a guarantee. A person can follow these commandments but yet not be compassionate or courageous. Going beyond the 10 Commandments Although the 10 Commandments provide a good basis for being considered of high character, there are other traits that go beyond these commandments. Be reliable Being reliable and conscientious are two examples of admirable character traits that go beyond the 10 Commandments. Exaggerating importance These commandments also concern the relationship to God and to other people. A person may not bear false witness against someone else, but if he lies about his skills or achievements, his character is not very admirable. Personal excesses Likewise, a person who follows the 10 Commandments but yet gambles excessively and abuses him- or herself with drugs or alcohol, cannot be considered admirable. Be brave Being determined, courageous or brave are admirable traits that give a person points in having high character. In conclusion The first three commandments are concerned with belief in God. The other seven concern "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you." Following the 10 Commandments is important in character, but there are also other traits such as reliability and courage that a person should have to truly have good character. Many blessings, kathy martin
I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0
Re: 10 Commandments of Character
8/23/2005 2:17:47 PM
Thanks Kathy, We've both seen a need recently for a reminder to the 10 commandments. No, neither Kathyn nor I are perfect, but we do see the need to be always reminded of God's laws so we can live in peace and harmony. Thanks Kathy! JOHN
+0
8/23/2005 2:57:18 PM
Hi Kathy, Again you have hit the nerve, how simple God's plan is if we would all just learn to do it! Thanks for the post keep them coming in success and love Greg Hastings
For every Adversity there is A Seed of Greater Benefit
+0
Agnes Kivuvani

299 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/23/2005 3:09:40 PM
Kathy, If People did the right thing at the right time, the world would be a better place. Agnes.
Agnes - Certified eBusiness Consultant ==> Call me at 240-481-5648
+0
Shelly Hargis

523 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/23/2005 3:30:38 PM
Hi Kathy. Thank You for your invitation. Great Words to live by. Although None of us are Perfect, we all are better off to do our Best by these Commandments. Thanks again Friend, Shelly Hargis
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!