Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Mosquitos ! Try Listerine
7/3/2008 12:13:24 PM
Could be worth a try !

Mosquito Spray...Worth a try

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.
Now these are Good Mosquitos!!!   Dead ones!!

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Mosquitos ! Try Listerine
7/3/2008 12:33:55 PM

Mosquitoes can be a pain during a backyard barbecue, and they can carry disease as well. Here are a few tips for fighting off mosquitoes with simple household products.

Bounce Fabric Softener -- The fragrance in fabric softener, oleander, repels mosquitoes. Try tying a sheet or two to the outside of your clothing when you work in the garden. This can also come in handy when you're camping.

Listerine -- Unlike smelly mosquito repellent that will turn up your nose, original Listerine mouthwash can drive away mosquitoes. Rub some on your skin before you go outdoors; the thyme in Listerine repels mosquitoes.

Dishwashing liquid -- Add a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid per gallon of water, then pour the mixture into a rain barrel or other pools of water around your yard. This will destroy developing mosquito larvae.

VapoRub -- Mosquitoes don't like the smell of eucalyptus found in Vicks VapoRub. Rub some on your skin to repel them.

Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites:

Hair spray -- applying hair spray to a mosquito bite stops the desire to itch and the pain.

Toothpaste -- A dab of toothpaste will also relieve the need to itch.

Aspirin -- To control the inflammation, break open an aspirin tablet and rub it over the mosquito bite.

A Few Mosquito Facts:

Mosquitoes can carry some of the worst diseases known to man, such as malaria and yellow fever.

A female mosquito may lay up to 1000 eggs during its lifetime.

Male mosquitoes don't bite. The females insert needlelike stylets from their proboscises into the victim's skin. Their saliva prevents clotting as the mosquito drinks the blood. It's the saliva that people are allergic to and that causes the swelling and itching.

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2008 12:48:22 PM
A Few Mosquito Facts !   Awesome !  Thanks for the information !

Linda
+0
7/3/2008 1:44:13 PM

Linda, I agree, wow Nick great information!!  I have tried the Listerine but with little or no results.  Actually I have tried about everything!!  A mixture of thyme, mint, daisy fleabane has worked.  Just make a tea using leaves from those plants, or if you want to take the time and soak them in some vegetable oil to apply to the skin.  If using tea, just strain and put in spray bottle, it also refreshes the skin in hot weather.

Nick, I will certainly try more of your suggestions.  Does anyone know of a repellent for chiggers, sometimes called redbugs in the Southeast USA??

Have a HAPPY 4TH and keep those bugs off!

Sara

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2008 1:47:57 PM
Sara,

The oil is the best, Skin so Soft, Olive Oil, Mineral oil on your skin.  Any of them, chiggers and fleas, mosquitos do not like the oil.   We will all be slippery but smooth and un biten.

I ALSO want to plant thyme around the new house in flower gardens (I want herbal type gardens )  And Oleander is poisonous but I think I will go for some of those tooo and lots of eucolyptus

Linda
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!