Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Trina Sonnenberg

784 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Have You Really Been Scammed?
4/21/2008 5:09:46 PM
What Constitutes a Scam?
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg

Let's start off by pulling out the dictionary, and getting the definition according to Webster.
NOUN: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

VERB:
1 : deceive, defraud 2 : to obtain (as money) by a scam
Now that we know what Webster considered a scam, let us examine what many Internet marketers think of as a scam; because, I think there is a difference of opinion on this topic.

After spending many years in forums devoted to the subject of scams, it appears that most think a program, company, or business opportunity is a scam if they do not make money with it. It seems to me that that is the only real requisite for being able to cry scam online. However, just because a person fails to build a network marketing business, online or off, doesn't make the opportunity/program a scam. It may simply mean that the person who failed, didn't do something right, or work hard enough, or at all for that matter. So many think they can sign up for a program and money will just roll in. When it doesn't happen that way, rather than look to themselves for the failure, it is easier to cry scam on the company.

As for the thought of money for nothing, some would blame the marketers, for leading them to believe that it is possible to amass huge quantities of cash for doing absolutely nothing. However, they really can't blame anyone but themselves, because they were stupid enough to fall for it.

Think about this: Say a person buys a TrueValue™ franchise, but does not advertise the business, or does not promote it enough in the right places, and they lose their shirt, file for bankruptcy, etc.. Does that give them the right to call TrueValue™ a scam? Certainly not. Or say that someone orders a product from a mail order catalog, and the billing gets screwed up; say the person was charged twice... Does that mean the mail order company is a scam? No it does not. Paperwork errors happen, and data entry, since it requires human interaction, is not perfect either. In other words... Shit happens.

If the policies and procedures are not to one's liking, that is not a reason to cry foul either. The company has the right to establish policy at their discretion, within the confines of the law. If the policy breaks the law, then either the company has a poor legal team, or it could very well be a scam.

Back to Webster to define a couple of the different types of scams...

PONZI:
Pronunciation: \pän-ze\
Function: noun
Etymology: Charles Ponzi died 1949 American (Ital.-born) swindler Date: 1973

: an investment swindle in which some early investors are paid off with money put up by later ones in order to encourage more and bigger risks

PYRAMID SCHEME:
Function:noun
Date: 1975

: a usually illegal operation in which participants pay to join and profit mainly from payments made by subsequent participants

Then there is the: infomercial scam, seminar scam, investment scam, insurance scam... The list goes on.

There are literally hundreds of different types of scams, but the most common of them all is the matrix scam. And this one is the one people fall for most often. Many companies running this type of scam refer to it as a powerline. This is a situation where a person is told that they need to buy a product, or pay a membership fee, and all those people that pay their way in after them will generate a massive income for them. Or, they are told that if they buy product A, for what ends up being way more than it is worth, they will receive a prize of greater value, once they get a certain amount of others to buy product A, using the same promise of wealth. Both of these scenarios are similar to the pyramid, in that eventually, someone at the bottom loses everything (time and money), and receives nothing.

The problem with this is that there are a finite number of people in the world, and someone has got to be last in line. That number of people shrinks even further because there is a smaller number of people in the world that can be reached, who are of legal age to consent to being ripped off, or who can afford to take the risk. Because of this, programs set up this way will ALWAYS collapse. That is why they are illegal; someone always loses, usually more than they can afford to lose.

The best way to avoid getting ripped off is to research a company before becoming involved with it. Think of it as a reverse interview. Rather than you being interviewed for a job, you interview the person and the company that's trying to sign you up. Make sure the company has a legitimate product, at a fair price, and that you like it enough to use it yourself. As in the Prosperity Automated System scam, there was no product. All participants got was a web site, and autoresponder, and promises of riches. What they paid for was a lead list, and someone who would seduce others to join the program for you. People spent an awful lot of money on leads for PAS. The guys at the top got rich, and the bottom people got fleeced. Then the government shut them down, and my sources tell me that even the people who lost on the program are having legal challenges as a result of their participation, not just the big cheese. The scam, 12DailyPro, is another example of getting something for nothing gone very bad.

Just because one does not make money in a network marketing business does not mean the business is a scam. If you really want to know if a business opportunity is a scam, show the fine print to an attorney.

Rule of Thumb: If the only way you can earn a commission is to sell memberships to something, not a product, them it is not a good business opportunity. The reason being that the number of memberships that can be sold is finite. Products can be sold over and over again, generating repeat commissions. And those programs that require the passing up of sales to an upline member, (commonly called 'qualifying sales') before being to earn a commission are illegal; at least in the U.S..

To be successful, offer a product or service that is more valuable than the money required to obtain it. You will have happy customers, and they are money in the bank.

Copyright © 2008
The Trii-Zine Ezine
www.ezines1.com

About the Author:
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg
Publisher - The Trii-Zine Ezine - Your Trusted Source for Internet Business and Marketing Information. Serving online professionals since 2001. ISSN# 1555-2276
http://www.ezines1.com/triizine
http://www.ads-on-q.com/intro
Author of: My Journey A Lifetime of Verse http://stores.lulu.com/triizine
Internet Marketing Mavens
http://internetmarketing-mavens.com

Keywords: scams, ponzi, pyramid scheme, business opportunities, online scams

Trina L.C. Sonnenberg Freelance Commercial Writer TLC Promotions & The Trii-Zine Ezine ISSN 1555-2276 http://www.tlcpromotions.net http://trii-zine.com http://FAA.tlcpromotions.net
+0
Re: Have You Really Been Scammed?
4/21/2008 7:21:08 PM

Trina:

Great post..just one inaccuracy that I noticed in quick glance...

"There are literally hundreds of different types of scams, but the most common of them all is the matrix scam. And this one is the one people fall for most often. Many companies running this type of scam refer to it as a powerline."

It is true that matrix pay plans have never worked long term historically (only 1 company of the tens of thousands that have launched over the pat 50 years, Melaleuca, has had any long term, signficant success, and they've modified their pay plan numerous times in the past 10 years in order to retain their leaders. If they didn't have a unique and high quality product line, they would have been gone a long time ago.)

No one in their right mind, if they were students of history, and throughly knowledgeable about compensation plans, would ever get involved with a matrix compensation plan, regardless of whether it was a 3x4, 4x6, 5x7, etc...In fact, someone should roll out with a 2x4 and have an actual two by four piece of wood in the distributor kit so that you can smack yourself with it for getting involved in the first place.

In many cases matrix pay plans are commonly used with the Internet related deals, none of which either last or turn out to be profitable, except for the owners who launch the deal. All people are doing in joining these deals is building the list of the names for the owners so that they can roll into something else down the road with a huge list of names they can target in order to make another big pile of money..

The inaccuracy involves this part of your post: "Many companies running this type of scam refer to it as a powerline."

No they don't...they refer to it as a matrix plan...be it a 3 by 9, 4 by 6, 5 by 7, etc...

A powerline has nothing to do with the naming of a pay plan. It is a business building strategy that is incorporated into many online business building sytems and is used in a variety of legitimate companies and a variety of compensation plans, namely unileve, stairstep, and binary plans, with it being most effectively used in a two team or binary pay plan.

The powerline emphasizes a straight line, vertical appproach to building a leg, so it would be least effective in a matrix because in a matrix you are having to fill in empty spots are all over the place in your organization so you can't concentrate on any one particular leg like you can in other types of pay plans.

There are far more opportunities using a powerline that have a binary, unilevel, or stairstep pay plan than a matrix plan.

Having pioneered one of the first 2 automated online business building systems with a powerline for the industry, having built some of the largest, fastest growing, and most successful groups in the industry over the past 25 years, consulting with numerous people and companies on pay plans, and working with some of the top legal experts in our industry including a prominent former state Attorney General, etc., I think I would qualify as somewhat of an expert on this matter..

As I mentioned, your post was right on..this was the only correction that I felt needed to be made..

By the way, you might mention cash gifting programs are highly illegal! I am seeing a ton of these on the Internet and it is amazing the number of people that are either gullible, stupid, or idiots that are involved with them, and they actually think they are legal!

Also, any opportunity that promotes "you can make money without having to do anything, sponsor anyone, sell any product," etc., is by statute, an ILLEGAL pyramid and also subjects people to prosecution with lottery statutes as you earned money by sheer luck then if you didn't have to do anything in order to make the money...I see numerous people using the wording mentioned above in promoting their opportunities and they are putting both their company as well as themselves in legal jeopardy..

+0
Trina Sonnenberg

784 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/22/2008 7:01:52 AM
Excellent response, my friend.

My use of powerlines as an example of a foul matrix is in reference to programs that promise riches as soon as you pay to get in, touting that there are hundreds of pre-qualified potential members that you need to get in ahead of, so hurry up! Those are illegal matrix programs. And they all advertise that they are powerlines.

I get scads of them in my mailbox every day. ...Click this link to see all of the pre-qualified people that you will have under you, IF you join now. Send us your money and you'll be rich! Get in quick, before all of these other people, so you can make money off of them.

The only time a matrix honestly works is when you have control over where people are placed in it, without requirement of having X number of people in a specific location of the matrix to qualify. (Like Melaleuca)

Participation in these (illegal) programs makes a person guilty by association regardless of whether or not they themselves have been scammed into it.

Have an awesome day.
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg Freelance Commercial Writer TLC Promotions & The Trii-Zine Ezine ISSN 1555-2276 http://www.tlcpromotions.net http://trii-zine.com http://FAA.tlcpromotions.net
+0
Meg
Meg Kelly

25 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/22/2008 8:37:26 AM

This was very well done and extremely informative. I really hate it though when you use such words as idiots and stupid etc. when describing people who make the error of joining these illegal companies.

Often these people are new to the inter net and can really be persuaded to join these companies,who do not know that these are illegal. Why are not more of these sites flagged for what they are? It would save us "dummies " from getting involved. We don't know what to look for, or look out for. I wish I could send a list out of my sites to someone who would honestly tell me what is legit and what is not.

At any rate more people should read your post- Thank you and keep the info coming

www.walkease.com

+0
Barbara Delgiudice

1912 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2008 12:44:18 PM

Thank you for your info Trina and Ken.

Have a great day.

Barb :)