Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PASSOVER Begins On April 20th - Some General Info On The Holiday (Peter)
4/18/2008 4:08:30 AM

Hello Lydia & Nick,

Yes, Passover is called the Holiday of Freedom cos the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt.

Yes, Freedom also has other implications and one can argue these philosophically and for its religious implications.

One of the principals of humanity is that we are all given freedom of choice. In that way we differ from all forms of living creatures and animals. Animals act according to their instincts; humans are given the ability to choose and think. That is part of the freedom we were granted. The freedom to choose between right and wrong.

We have the choice to decide whether to sin or not. whether to be good or evil. Our spiritual fate is in our own hands. Nothing is preordained our fate is the outcome of our actions. This is part of the freedom that God granted humans; the freedom of choice.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/18/2008 6:14:04 AM
Hello Peter :-)

Thank you for the very interesting and informative forum. We, or at least I know so very few about your culture and mostly "religion" ... and I'm very happy to learn about it from "first hand" All I knew was that it's about something related to bread and leaving Egypt!

Looking around I've found this wonderfully sounding prayer?! (It is a prayer. Isn't it? - as it sounds and knowing what are you celebrating, I think it is! Let me know if I'm wrong?!)

((youtube id="PgzNRiFYfXU"))((/youtube))

Thank you again and ...
SHALOM :-)

Anamaria

+0
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/18/2008 3:39:00 PM

Nice song, AnaMaria, and I like this Jewish folk song:

((youtube id="vGQfLeS9_ns&feature"))((/youtube))

What about it, Peter?

Shalom, Lydia

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/18/2008 9:51:15 PM

Hi Anamaria,

The song is hauntingly beautiful. First time I heard this version of it. It is not a prayer per se but is based on scriptures from the Torah.

The singers are religious singers that sing hassidik and religious songs and I personally loved their performance.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/18/2008 9:53:58 PM

Hi Lydia,

Tumbalalayka. It's been years since I heard that song. What great memories it brings back. Thanks so much for finding it and sharing it with us.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0