Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Happy April Fool's Day!
4/1/2009 1:46:49 AM

On April, 1st. Day of Laughter and Fools Each person likes to laugh over somebody, to play a trick or play, but one day in a year everything are engaged in it, from the child to the adult, from the student to the businessman.

But why this day is necessary for April, first, precisely can tell  nobody.

In this respect there are some versions, one attribute origin of this holiday to Ancient Rome where in the middle of February (and at all in the beginning of April) the holiday Silly was celebrated.

Others transfer holiday origin to ancient India where on March, 31st celebrated a holiday of jokes.

On 1st of April in the ancient world Irish, and that in honour of New year joked only.

There is also a version on which to this holiday we are obliged to the Italian king Montereju to whom in honour of a holiday on the occasion of the earthquake termination have presented fish. A year later the tsar has demanded precisely same. Same have not found, but the cook has prepared other, rather reminding necessary. And though the king has distinguished substitution, it was not angry, and even has cheered up. Since then April Fools' draws also have entered into custom.

Under the most widespread version Day of laughter has arisen in France in 1564 in connection with carrying over of the beginning of year since April, 1st for January, 1st. Without having received that day the traditional gifts, the disappointed subject steels to consider on April, 1st as day of a deceit.

In Russia April Fools' jokes have become fashionable at Peter I. For April, first joke all. So be on the lookout, well and be, of course, reserved by a set of fresh jokes and surprises!

In general have fun, because minute of laughter also is useful to health as carrot kg.

Quick! Kiss!

Happy April Fool's Day!

+1
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Happy April Fool's Day!
4/1/2009 2:10:54 AM

Hi Lydia,

Happy April Fools Day to you too.

I never thought about the source of this day and after reading your post I checked and no one is sure what the origin of this fun day is.

Here are a few more potential sources I found in wikipedia.

Shalom,

Peter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

April Fools' Day
April Fools' Day
April 1st 2001 in Denmark, regarding Copenhagen's new subway
Also called All Fools' Day
Date April 1
Observances Humor

April Fools' Day or All Fools' Day, although not a holiday in its own right, is a notable day celebrated in many countries on April 1. The day is marked by the commission of hoaxes and other practical jokes of varying sophistication on friends, family members, enemies, and neighbors, or sending them on fool's errand, the aim of which is to embarrass the gullible. Traditionally, in some countries, the jokes only last until noon: like UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool".[1] Elsewhere, such as in Ireland, France, and the USA, the jokes last all day.

The origin of April Fools' Day is obscure. One likely theory is that the modern holiday was first celebrated soon after the adoption of the Gregorian Calendar; the term referred to someone still adhering to the Julian Calendar, which it replaced.[2] In many pre-Christian cultures May Day (May 1) was celebrated as the first day of summer, and signalled the start of the spring planting season. An April Fool was someone who did this prematurely. Another origin is that April 1 was counted the first day of the year in France. When King Charles IX changed that to January 1, some people stayed with April 1. Those who did were called "April Fools" and were taunted by their neighbors.[citation needed] In the eighteenth century the festival was often posited as going back to the times of Noah. An English newspaper article published on April 13th, 1789 said that the day had its origins when he sent the raven off too early, before the waters had receded. He did this on the first day of the Hebrew month that corresponds with April.[3] A possible reference to April Fools' Day can be seen in the Canterbury Tales (ca 1400) in the Nun's Priest's tale, a tale of two fools: Chanticleer and the fox, which took place on March 32nd.[4]

Read More Here

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/1/2009 2:45:36 AM
Hi Lydia,

Be careful not to be cheated today!

Love,

Dimitra

+0
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2009 2:47:47 AM

Hi Peter! Happy April Fools Day to you too!

+1
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2009 2:53:31 AM

Hi Dimitra! Happy April Fool's Day!

+0