Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Visiting Castles - BRAN II
7/14/2006 5:10:29 PM
Bran is a town nestled in a mountain pass between the Bucegi and Piatra Craiului ranges and during the 15th and 16th centuries was an important frontier town on the main road leading from Transylvania into Wallachia.
Today Bran with its luxury villas and private cottages, surrounded by wooded hills, open pastures, rivers, and high mountains,  would live up to anyone's expectation.

The Bran mountain pass
The Bran mountain pass
Situated only 28km southwest of Brasov, the Bran Castle is one of the most popular tourist site in Romania. The castle is perched atop a 60m peak in the centre of Bran village. The Bran mountain pass was the main route into Wallachia from Transylvania.
Bran Castle
Bran Castle is famous for its association with the Dracula legend. The 15th-century Wallachian prince upon whom the novelist Bram Stroker is (incorrectly) supposed to have  his blood thirsty vampire connected to the Bran Castle.  In truth, Dracula may have attacked and briefly captured the castle in 1460, during one of his raids on the Burzen Land.
Bran Castle
Between 1395-1427 the castle belonged to Mircea the Wise, grandfather of Vlad Tepes (Dracula).
In 1441 the Hungarians defeated the Turks here.
Vlad Tepes sought refuge for a few days in Bran on his flight from the Turks in 1462 following their attack on the Poienari fortress in the Arges Valley.

The inner yard
Bran Castle - The inner yard
Built on top of a rock in the pass between the Bucegi and the Piatra Craiului Mountains, the fortress was used to protect Brasov against Turks and later served as a customs house.  The castle has four towers. The oldest tower, Powder House Tower, houses the Cannon's Gallery and the Gunner's Room. During the 15th century, the Observation Tower and Eastern Tower were added. In 1622 the Gate Tower was added, a Polish attic was attached and the south curtain wall was tickened up to 3,5m (11ft.) thick. More renovations took place in 1723 and in 1883.
Bran Castle
On December 1st, 1920, the Brasov Town Council donated the Bran Castle to Queen Marie of Romania.
Being restored  according to the plans of the Royal Court's architect, Carel Liman, the castle lost the appearance of stronghold, being turned into a beautiful royal summer residence.

Queen Marie's Bran Castle will be the issue of another "visit" inside the Castle!

Now, let's continue outside :-)

Bran Castle's inneryardBran Castle's inneryard
The fountain in the inneryard conceals a labyrinth of secret underground passages.
The tunnel opened onto the park grounds where the famous gardner Patula planted bushes brought from Balcic, dahlias and roses being the Queen Marie's favorites flowers.

The original gate tower was round. In 1625 the gate tower was rebuild in the rectangular form. The ancient gate was blocked with beams. The only way of reaching the entrance was by climbing up a ladder.

The Entrance to Bran CastleThe Entrance to Bran Castle
The Entrance to Bran Castle

Since its foundation, Bran Castle was rebuild several times and remains impressive. Each epoch in Bran castle's history bear the marks of the changes in style. This is why the Renaissance and the Romantic elements are blended with the former Gothic style.

Bran Castle's courtyard

Bran Castle's courtyardBran Castle's courtyard
To the north of the castle there is an open-air Village Museum, comprises some fine examples of local architecture, including a fulling mill.
From the Bran Castle, walk south along Str. Principala past the center of the village to the Ancient Customs House Museum, the former vama, displays archaeological treasures as well as many photographs of the castle. Across from the Customs House are the remains of the old defensive wall which devided Transylvania from Wallachia.

Thank you for joining me in this tour!
Please come back again to visit the Inside Castle as well  and for more history :-)

Wish you a wonderful weekend!
Your friend,
Anamaria

Other related forums:
Dracula's Castle
Famous People I - Dracula
Dracula II
Vlad The Impaler

+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Visiting Castles - BRAN II
7/14/2006 5:44:33 PM

Hi AnaMaria,

I always pictured this castle as forboding and scary. It is Beautiful!!!!  A place that anyone would want to visit.

Thank you so much for these wonderful tours. I always enjoy coming here so much.

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/14/2006 5:53:17 PM
My dear Deborah.

I'm so happy to see you like it :-)
I was searching for someway to show you pictures since a long time!
I just didn't have the time to figgure out how those slide shows are to be done?!
But this way things looks even better.
Looking forward to show you the Castle inside too!
Your friend,
Anamaria
+0
Karen Earll

179 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/14/2006 6:04:45 PM
Hello Anamaria, This is a wonderful tour. Thank you so much. I am looking forward to the inside tour. God Bless, Karen
Karen Earll Skype ID kdearll $7 Miracle Matrix http://www.3.telus.net/rmc/opfm.htm Bring Your Buddy http://bringyourbuddy.net/?id=8195 Having Fun. Helping Friends. Creating Wealth. Reaching Dreams. Watkins Summit Group http://www.tsginfo.com/ind
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/14/2006 6:05:37 PM
Wow, not what comes to mind from the movies, ha, ha!!! Linda
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!