Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Great Friday and The Small Fountain
4/21/2006 4:30:05 AM
The Friday before the Easter is called the Great Friday. Also named “the Friday of sufferings”, it is the day when Jesus was crucified. People don’t eat on this day, as it is believed that doing that they will be healthy and they will know they’ll dye three days before. The tradition recommends that you step on a piece of iron when you wake up, in order to be protected from bruises. If you bathe in the river before the sun rises, you won’t suffer from bone illness. In Bucovina it is said that who bathes three times in a cold river will be healthy all year long. (In fact in the region where I live usualy we do not do that nowerdays) People go to church to confess. Bread may not be baked, the earth may not be ploughed and trees may not be planted, as they won’t fruit. The Small Fountain In some regions, on the Friday before the Easter week, water springs are searched for, wells are built and cleaned. All these are done as it is believed that those springs and fountain will have plenty of water and won’t dry. ( I remember my grandmother used to do that with the fountain they had in thir courtyard)
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Great Friday and The Small Fountain
4/21/2006 11:01:29 AM
Hi AnaMaria, I wish I could really let you know how much I am enjoying coming to your forums. Thank you so much. Your Good Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/21/2006 11:02:31 AM
Hello Ana Maria, Thank you for the invite. Great Friday also known as Long Friday. Today in Greece they prepare the Epitaphium. From the morning young girls are decorate the Epitaphium. Women are coming with flovers and the whole church have sweet smell, a fragrance. Church Bells are clinging very slow, whole day, from sun rise to sun down, reminding us the Day of Death. Just now I hear the bells. Out tradition say that the dead person mus be hosted one night in his house before the funural. Tomorrow night is the biggest happening. Jesus Raising. Best Orthodox Regards Georgios
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/21/2006 12:09:53 PM
Hello Deborah! Your words can only make me happy! :-) Thank you Georgios for adding some of your customs; here the day of death as you name it is reminded with complete silence. And nobody is eating and drinking anything today! But with concen the dead person it's also ought to be hosted one night in his own house before the funerals being surounded by its family and loved ones. And there are candels at its head and feet. Tomorrow night at 12 pm is indeed the Great Raising and everybody is at the church with candels and eggs in their hands, and we go 3 times around the church. But I'm working on this for the post of tomorrow!
+0
Lisa Westberry

1972 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/21/2006 7:20:58 PM
Hello Ana, Me too, Love reading about different things and history. Especially about my great friend, Ana!!! Keep it comin and have a great weekend and Easter!!! Hugs and Love,
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!