Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jerilyn Merideth

1618 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: Vatican Basilica di San Pietro
3/29/2008 4:04:08 PM

Hi Georgios,

Thank you!

Happy Easter!

Have a great day!

Take Care,

Jerilyn

Jerilyn Merideth http://www.critterpower.com "Cutest Critter Photo Contest" now through April 30, 2011. "The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous"
+0
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: Vatican Basilica di San Pietro
4/25/2008 1:28:00 PM

Готовимся к Пасхе

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
PHILOXENIA: GOOD FRIDAY
4/25/2008 2:27:08 PM

Good Friday- The pain of Holy Virgin

Good Friday, the Friday of Holy Week in the calendar of the Christian churches, is set apart to commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus. The earliest name for this day, “Pascha,” refers to the Jewish Passover celebrated at this time. In the beginning the day’s observances grew out of this Jewish Passover custom of keeping “the days of unleavened bread” from the fourteenth to the twenty-first Nisan. Other names were: “Day of the Lord’s Passion,” Day of the Absolution,” and “Day of the Cross.” The name “Good Friday” is a peculiarly English expression. It reflects the joy of completed redemption and protests against superstitious notions that all Fridays are “unlucky” and that this particular Friday must be shrouded in funeral gloom. Although, it is more probably derived from a corruption of “God’s Friday.” It was called “Long Friday” by the Saxons and Danes, apparently in allusion to the long services held on that day in the churches. In medieval days, notably in Spain, the churches were closed on this day as a sign of mourning.

Good Friday Worship Services reflect the character of solemn, restrained praise. The church services held today, on Good Friday, differ but slightly from each other. In all, are read or chanted the Scriptures relating to the Passion of Christ, most using the Gospel of John chapters 18:1 through 19:42. Many have Tre Ore Services that last for three hours, from 12:00 Noon to 3:00 pm. The Tre Ore Services are usually composed of a Good Friday Litany, the reading of the Passion according to St. John, sermons on the Passion or the Seven Last Words of Jesus on the Cross, and the Bidding Prayer. The germ of the Bidding Prayer may be found in the worship of the Jewish synagogue, where prayers were offered for members of the Jewish community and their needs. The early Christians expanded the idea. Justin Martyr in the second century speaks of such a prayer as the "Deacon’s Litany " or the "Prayer of the Faithful." The text of today's Bidding Prayer probably dates from the time of Leo the Great in the fifth century.

Kindly Regards
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: GREEK ORTHODOX EASTER
4/25/2008 2:30:05 PM

Hello georgios,

another great Forum,

Have amazing weekend

Kathy Hamilton/simikathy

I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0
Sarah Pritchard

2399 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: GREEK ORTHODOX EASTER
4/25/2008 3:47:00 PM
Hello Georgios,

I had forgotten that you were still celebrating Easter.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

It's good to learn about other people's traditions and cultures.

We are all one people together on Mother Earth.

Angel cuddles,

Sarah
Angel Cuddle Cafe Empowering You to Live with Ease in Love, Joy and Abundance Angel Cuddle Publishing Angel Cuddle Trails Click here with your ghostwriting needs
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!