Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Luella's Kitchen: ADD A LITTLE PASSION TO DINNER WITH A HOT SIDE DISH
2/22/2008 11:06:39 PM

Hi Jo!

Beans and Rice are one of my favorite combinations.  And I plan to make this one tomorrow!

Hugs,

Luella

+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2008 11:17:36 PM

Hi Phil!

I am mostly vegetarian myself.  I eat mostly raw foods these days, kind of in the vegan style.  But I do make beans to go with it as I find myself getting hungry at times. 

I love recipes like this.

And........  Thank you for your Shrimp Gumbo Recipe!  It looks delicious!  I'm making this one real soon.

Hugs,

Luella

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/23/2008 1:35:52 PM

Hi Luella,

Well, as promised, I tried the Red Beans & Rice last night and to say that they're delicious is an understatement.  Thanks so much for the recipe, and please keep 'em coming.

Glad you liked the Shrimp Gumbo.  I also have a Vegan Gumbo that I'm kinda partial to.

1/4 tsp allspice
3 whole cloves
1 cup corn kernels
1 diced green pepper
1 cup cooked lima beans
1 1/2 cup sliced okra
1 chopped onion
1 tsp salt
2 cups diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable stockwater for sauteeing

Saute onion, green pepper, and cloves in a dry nonstick pan until soft (use medium heat). Add water as necessary to prevent sticking. Remove cloves.

Put onion mixture, tomatoes, vegetable stock, lima beans, corn, okra, salt and allspice in your crockpot.

Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.  Serve on brown rice or as a thick soup.

I saute the onion mixture in extra virgin olive oil, but that adds a little fat, of course.
You can also add a little salt to the onions as they cook, to draw water out of them and make them less likely to stick.  I tend to look at Salt as an Enemy so needless to say, I don't prefer this method. 

It's great to me that we can still keep that spicy taste in and still eat healthy.  Thanks again my Friend.

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0