Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Laila Falck

358 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Independent search for truthThe Criterions of Truth Abdu'l-Baha
2/18/2008 10:03:17 AM
    Good Morning everybody

I have noticed that fewer  people have read the article titled "Hand on heart, Are you a seeker".  I just wanted people  to ask themselves that question. Meaning "am I a seeker of the truth?"                                    The article contains prayers, but I wonder why has fewer people opened this. I have given those prayers that anybody who wishes so may be able to ask God for guidance.                                                   We are all so different, I have found this - some people have not really decided to seek for truth all the way until the Goal is found, and  will not be persistent,- some might be afraid they will be disappointed if they seriously would go on  seeking to find the truth, (many belong to this kind) or  they  are afraid that the answer is going to be pressed down their throat, by others, without them having a say? So they do not seek at all. -Some do  observe, and are dispositioned towards choosing when others have chosen.-Some say they are seekers and think it is a very fine title, or like a badge on the collar showing their identity, having taken the searching for the goal itself. -Some are completely oblivious of anything such as a central Sun of Truth.
Some people are seriously  asserting that God is  at "the end "going to make such a global explosion of truth ,  that there will be no need for seeking at all. All will be so clear that in fact God is going to put down the truth down the throat, whether we want or not. There will not be chance for vincillating. Our free will just evaporate  and with it the right to choose or reject. We will be completely dumbfounded. So also in the blast there will not be seen the difference between the gold and the dross. We will be caught by force.
What about Jesus words about  knocking and the door will be opened.?Isn't that a summons to seek?To attain a goal?
After this cannonade I have now chosen to again  present the very first principle of the Bahai Faith, which is:
Independent search for truth.

This means that each one of us has to examine things without relying on the  judgement of others whether in the beginning or in the end..If we  ever had been allowed to depend on others in spiritual matters, how would our situation be like  in the end, when we have left this world and will be questioned. Will we be able to blame our errors on those who have  guided us, even professionally? Most certainly we will not be able to blame errors on them. And they who think they can interpret for us, how would their situation be? All people are prone to error, so it is a risky thing to interpret for others. And they will  be held responsible for having guided people in the wrong direction.

Abdu'l-Baha has made  many public addresses in 1911 when He was in Europe. The one I'll present, a bit shortened, is about the "Criterions of Truth"
"During my visit  to London and Paris ...I had many talks with the materialistic philosophers of Europe. The basis of all their conclusions is that the acquisition of knowledge of phenomena is according to a fixed, invariable law, a law mathematically exact in its operation through the senses....That is to say, the materialists announce that the criterion and standard of human knowledge is sense perception. Among the Greeks and Romans the criterion of knowledge was reason...A third standard or criterion is the opinion held by theologians that traditions §or prophetic statement and interpretations constitute the basis of human knowing. There is still another, a fourth criterion upheld by religionists and methaphysicians who say that the source and channel of all human penetration into the unknown is through inspiration.
Briefly then, these four criterions according to the declarations of men are: First -Sense perception; Second-Reason; Third-Traditions; Fourth - Inspiration.

In Europe I told the philosophers and scientists of materialism that the criterion of the senses is not reliable. For instance, consider a mirror and the images reflected in it. These images have no actual corporeal existence. Yet if you had never seen a mirror you would firmly insist and believe that they were real..."
Then Abdu'l-Baha takes up the exemples of mirages in the desert and standing on the deck of a steamer seeing the shore appearing to be moving. A whirling torch makes a circle but is not. One can see a caravan moving in the sky over the desert, sometimes four suns are appearing in the place of the one sun we know.
"As to the second criterion - reason- this  likewise is unreliable...This human world is an ocean of varying opinions. If reason is the perfect standard,,,why are opinions at variance and why do philosophers disagree so completely with each other? This is a clear proof that human reason is not to be relied upon as an infallible criterion. For instance, great discoveries and announcements of former centuries are continually  upset and discarded by wise men of today...In the future much that is announced and accepted as true now will be rejected and disproved....And so it will continue ad infinitum.
...The third criterion -traditions- upheld by theologians as the avenue and standard of knowledge, we find this source equally unreliable and unworthy of dependence. For religious traditions are the report and record of understanding and interpretation of the Book. "(
Maybe you will protest now, but read on, we will come up to something in the end.)                                                                                                                            "By what means has this understanding, this interpretation been reached? By the analysis of human reason. When  we read the Book of God the faculty of comprehension by which we form conclusions is reason. Reason is mind. If we are not endowed with perfect reason, how can we comprehend the meanings of the Word of God?
Therefore human reson, as already pointed out, is by its very nature finite and faulty in conclusions. It cannot surround the Reality Itself, the Infinite Word. Inasmuch as the source of traditions and interpretations is human reason, and human reason is faulty, how can we depend upon its findings for real knowledge?
The fourth criterion I have named is inspiration through which it is claimed the reality of knowledge is attainable. What is inspiration? It is the influx of the heart. But what are satanic promptings which afflict mankind? They are the influx of the heart also. How shall we know whether we are following inspiration from God or satanic promptings of the human soul?
Briefly, the point is that in the human material world of phenomena these four are the only existing criterions..of knowledge, and all of them are faulty and unreliable.
What then remains? How shall we attain the reality of knowledge??
By the breaths and promptings of the Holy Spirit which is light and knowledge itself. Through it the human mind is quickened and fortified into true conclusions and perfect knowledge. This is conclusive argument showing that all available human criterions are erroneous and defective, but the standard of divine knowledge is infallible. Therefore man is not justified in saying "I know because I perceive through my senses"; or I know because it is proved through my faculty of reason"; or "I know because it is according to tradition and interpretation of the Holy Book"; or "I know because I am inspired".
All human standard of judgement is faulty, finite."

So, you might wonder, what am I doing here? How truthful am I? This is my answer:      I hope you'll you will investigate the information I am giving you about the Bahai Faith and will read the Scriptures on your own. I do not interpret the texts. It would be, I believe, the same as to interpret the Holy Spirit .You must understand it all through independent investigating  yourself and
if you wish,just ask questions about it.   I must give it to you as it is revealed by the Founder of the Faith I am adhering to. We are not allowed to interpret anything for others to follow. I must keep my understanding for myself. Therefore I am taking down the Scriptures as they are for you. The interpretations I am giving you are from Abdu'l-Baha Who is appointed  by Bahaullah to be the One Interpreter of the Bahai Faith. To go against Abdu'l-Bahas Interpretation is to go against the Covenant, which indeed is  a  deeply deplorable act
Therefore sometimes I say, "I personally think" this or that. If I have been unclear please say so.

When the Bahais are gathered in the Assembly meeting they are guided by Bahaullah according to His promise to do that.. But only the Meetings of the International Assembly, the Universal House of Justice is promised infallibility.
When we make the wrong descisions at the local or National Assemblies we are corrected  later if the meetings are held in a spirit of love and unity.
Love and unity. This is what we must adhere to, it is really more important than having the correct answer to everything. Peace is the very best thing on earth I believe. If one is wrong, patience comes in handy as a helper to solve problems.This is indeed something to ponder upon in a world where everybody is fighting for his /her "right" opinion, even making war because of this.
I am daily thinking about the freedom I enjoy, when I dwell upon the fact that I do not have to persuade
anybody all by myself  about the Faith I hold as true. I can put forward arguments but, the thing is about  showing a path  by presenting the Scriptures as they are written and revealed,  Only the living revealed Word is capable to transform the seeker so that he may perceive the light of the Sun of Reality and feel its warmth in the form of divine Love.                     Perhaps there will be a seeker in the audience. Then he/she has this Faith to chose or reject and he/she will be responsible in front of God, for whatever be done, not infront of me of course. So this is my duty and my task. Then there are the  veils of prejudices, misconceptions misunderstandings which can be ageold. Like the muslims holding to a supposed "other God", they must be showed as they are. acting as veils between their hearts and God.                                                           . This Faith is new ,starting in 1844 and has a neutral basis when looking back upon what has been the way in the past, through accepting all former religions as the guidance from God unto all people. Just like the Christians could/can have a good perspective  back on the former mosaic Faith.
The Bahai Faith could be seen as a Rosetta stone. This is one of my own homemade ways of explanation the nature of the Bahai Faith.

Bye for now
All the best to you all.
Greetings from
Laila

"Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens" "The source of arts and crafts is the power of reflection" Bahá'u'lláh.1817-1892 Founder of the Bahái'Faith
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Independent search for truthThe Criterions of Truth Abdu'l-Baha
2/18/2008 6:35:26 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Laila Falck

358 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Independent search for truthThe Criterions of Truth Abdu'l-Baha
2/19/2008 6:41:13 AM
    Good Morning Nick
Thank you for approving the whole "cannonade",  though I went hard on the expectations of certain ones who believe that the Master of Love will even force Himself  upon the earthlings with a universal thunderweather. The ones who believe that should look upon the eulogizing of Love in the Book of divine poems in the Bible. I hope you know what I mean, I do not know the English name of that wonderful poetic part.                                 Since you have approved of all I'll  cite for you this:

"The disciples of Christ forgot themselves and all earthly things, forsook their cares and belongings, purged themselves of self and passion and with absolute detachment scattered far and wide and engaged in calling the peoples of the world to the Divine Guidance, till at last they made the world another world...Let them that are men of action follow in their footsteps!"  Abdu'l-Baha

Greetings from
Laila
"Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens" "The source of arts and crafts is the power of reflection" Bahá'u'lláh.1817-1892 Founder of the Bahái'Faith
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!