Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Luella's Kitchen: FAT TUESDAY PANCACKES
2/2/2008 12:41:28 PM
By Melissa Breyer, Senior Producer, Care2 Green Living

Did you know that Mardi Gras is also known as Fat Tuesday, as well as Shrove Tuesday and Pancake Tuesday?!! Pancake Tuesday is the way they top off carnival season in the United Kingdom and we think it's a glorious idea. And although, yes, the main motif of Mardi Gras is indulgence before fasting, we have decided we'll indulge in some healthy pancakes that taste no less decadent. Read on for our secret for light and sweet, whole grain pancakes.

If you love pancakes but don't love the idea of refined flour, let us introduce you to white whole wheat flour. White wheat is a naturally occurring albino variety of wheat, and when it is turned into whole wheat flour it doesn't have the heavy taste of the common whole wheat flour (made from red wheat) that we are accustomed to. White whole wheat flour has the same nutritional and fiber benefits of red whole wheat, but since it doesn't have the same tannins and phenolic acid found in the outer bran of red wheat, it is less bitter and tastes sweeter. Yay!
Many people love the taste of regular whole wheat, but sometimes, like for pancakes, a lighter alternative that doesn't lack in nutrients and fiber is a godsend. You can buy white whole wheat flour at some health food stores or gourmet markets (like Whole Foods). You can also order it online from our favorite flour company, King Arthur Flour.

And now for the pancakes. You can try substituting some or all of the regular flour in your favorite pancake recipe with white whole wheat. Or follow our recipe, which, in the British Pancake Tuesday tradition, make pancakes that are thinner (more like crepes) than their fluffy American cousins. For a thicker pancake, use less buttermilk.

INGREDIENTS
1 cups white whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup Sucanat
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups organic buttermilk
1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoons melted butter
oil or butter for the pan

1. Stir all dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then add wet ingredients.

2. Lightly stir until just combined, leaving some lumps. Overbeating will result in tough pancakes.

3. Brush skillet with oil or butter over medium heat until a droplet of water sizzles. Pour batter into pan and cook until small bubbles form in pancake. Flip, cook and remove to a warm plate.

4. Top with your favorite pancake toppings, and eat them like there's no Wednesday.

+0
Joe
Joe Downing

9720 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Luella's Kitchen: FAT TUESDAY PANCACKES
2/2/2008 12:51:52 PM
Luella,

Alll I can say is  "MmmmMMmmmMmmMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!"  Since Tuesday is my birthday, maybe I can convince someone to have these pancakes!!!.

We'll see!!!

Joe
***ADLAND BULLETIN BOARD*** What is Xtreme X2O? ###Get some X2O and Jerky RADICAL for the TRUTH! Laus Deo! ** HUG DEPARTMENT: Always OPE
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/2/2008 3:27:52 PM
Hi Luella, Here's a little more background about Pancake Day. http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/603021.aspx Thanks for the receipe.
+0
2/2/2008 8:06:08 PM
Thank you Luella,

That's sound really yummy and healthy.  I just have one question "what is sucanat"? I never heard of it.

God Bless
Gaby

God Bless Everyone
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/2/2008 9:33:31 PM
Hi Luella,

Great recipe.  I have looked for sucanat, put can't find it.  Do you know where you can get it easily?  I would love to try it.  Does it taste good?  I have used Stevia, but still don't like that the taste.

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0