Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Age, I decided, is a gift
1/27/2008 11:15:33 AM
    Age, I decided, is a gift. > > > I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always > wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, > the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old > person that lives in my mirror, but I don't agonize over those things for long. > > > I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for > less gray hair or a flatter be lly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to > myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. > > I don't chide myself for eating that extra c ookie, or for not making my bed, > or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante > garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be e xtravagant. > > > > > I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they > understood the great freedom that comes with aging. > > > Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and > sleep until &nbs p;noon? > > > > > > I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at > the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will. > > > I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and > will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying > glances from the jet set . > They, too, will get old. > > I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as > well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things. > > Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break > when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's > beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength > and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and > sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect. > > I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to > have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So > many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn > silver. > > As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other > people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right > to be wrong. > > So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like > the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am > still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying > about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like > it) > > > MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE > HEART! > MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER > AND EVER!
+0
Gwyn Walker Chambers

284 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Age, I decided, is a gift
1/27/2008 11:22:38 AM

Hi Vince,

Thank you for the uplifting thought.

Especially "and I shall eat dessert every single day."

Love it!

Happy Sunday.

Your friend,

Gwyn

GET PAID 2 TAKE VACATIONS. Serious Money. Fun Business. Get started FREE. http://www.SharpWorldWide.info Gwyn Walker Chambers International Business Developer
+0
1/27/2008 11:30:21 AM
   Gwyn, I couldn't agree with you more.
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2008 12:25:39 PM
Hear-Hear! I love your attitude and share it. Not too long ago I was riding with a family that included an 8 year old who had no qualms about asking my age. His horrified 30 something mother thought it was a bad thing. Well I told him I was the very best age there ever was and if he was very careful and stayed happy-he could get to be it too one day! Happy aging!
+0
Bj
Bj Burgess

4768 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2008 12:35:38 PM

Hello Vincent

Thank you for sharing this with us all.

It is truly 'Very inspiring'.