Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
HTML Lesson 7
1/16/2008 9:15:54 AM
Lesson 7

More Tables

Now that you know the basics, let's see if we can't fine tune your TABLE a little.

It's fairly easy to change the way your table looks on the page.

You can change the size and color of your table, specify a border size, and add space between the table cells.

More Attributes Still...

You determine all of these things by using several different attributes in your TABLE tag

WIDTH BGCOLOR
CELLPADDING CELLSPACING
BORDER

Laying It Out

Just a Reminder to Remove this ! after you copy this code or the code will not work

<!TABLE WIDTH=33%>

Use the WIDTH attribute inside the table tag to specify how much of the screen you want your table to span.

You can use a percentage, like I just did, or you can use pixels for the value.

<!TABLE BGCOLOR=yellow>

BGCOLOR in a table works just like the BGCOLOR attribute in a body tag.

Use the color's name or it's Hexadecimal code.

I Need My Space!

CELLPADDING and CELLSPACING will let a little air into your table and make it easier to view.

<!TABLE CELLPADDING=5 CELLSPACING=5>

CELLSPACING is the amount of space you want between your table cells.In the example above, I specified that I want five pixels of space between my cells.

CELLPADDING is how many pixels of space you want on the inside of your cell between your text and the border.

Here's a table with cellspacing and cellpadding

Notice how there's plenty of space between the individual cells Also notice that the text inside of the cells doesn't touch the border

Now here's the exact same table without cellspacing or cellpadding

The cells in this table have absolutely no space between them And the text runs right up against the border

Quite a difference, huh?

Speaking Of Borders

You can control the thickness of your table border by using the BORDER attribute.

<!TABLE BORDER=4>

You can even lose the border altogether by indicating a value of 0 for the BORDER attribute.

If you scroll back up this page to where I list the Table attributes in large black text, you'll see an example of a table with a zero border.

Main Forum

Main Thread

Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Lesson 3

Lesson 4

Lesson 5

Lesson 6

Lesson 7

+0
Re: HTML Lesson 7
1/16/2008 2:02:38 PM
Hi Daniel,
  Great forum you have, good idea to let people know about HTML. It is fun but sometime very agrivating.
I use NVU, it is an WYSIWYG or HTML editor.
WYSIWYG is, You type in what you want and it codes it for you.
 You Jump between WYSIWYG Editing Mode and HTML using tabs.
If anyone wants a copy, you can get it Free.
Go to: http://nvudev.com/download.php
Scroll down to where you see this:
  nvu-1.0-win32-installer-full.exe - Windows full installer
Click on it and install.
Hope this helps!
Bruce
<---Need more Traffic--->
Get Quality traffic to your site! http://east-coastsurf.com Earn from Traffic Exchanges" http://east-coastsurf.com/ro
+0
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/16/2008 2:32:05 PM
Thank You Bruce

I do use HTML Editors also sometimes...I like to use note pad and type in my own just to stay in practice. There are allot of things you can do in note pad that you can do in Editors lke use the <! marquee> tags.

I bet your wondering what a Marquee Tag will do  :)

Try it out and see for yourself :)

<!marquee behavior="alternate">Your bouncing text goes here</marquee>

<!marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left">Your scrolling text goes here</marquee>

The next lesson we are going to start to get into some CSS stuff as I think that might be helpful for you guys in making your own pages.

We can never learn too much as they say :)

I am happy you guys are enjoying this forum.

Thanks for the download information also Bruce...Im sure that will be helpful.

If anybody else has good tools like the One Bruce just put up Please go ahead and show everybody.

If anybody else has anything that will help us all learn HTML / CSS or anything that will help teach each other lets all share it with each other.

Daniel

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2008 4:27:09 PM

Hi Daniel,

I just went through all 7 of the forums - I think it will take me at least 5 more times through before I thoroughly understand.

It was just so nice of you to put this here for all of to see and use.  Thanks

Judy

+0
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/17/2008 11:07:42 AM
Hi Judy

I was the same way at first Judy It took me awhile to catch on but just take your time.

This will be up here for a long time so you can always use It.

I was happy to do this...It helps me also and keeps me up to date on everything so we can all learn here :)

Have a Great day Judy

Daniel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!