Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Laila Falck

358 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Bahaullah, , Childhood, Youth ,adherent of the Bab,imprisonment
12/16/2007 11:59:58 AM

I am now attempting to translate what has been written about Bahaullah by author Sverre Holmsen in his book "The Enlightened Horizons":

"When the body of the Bab, pierced by bullets, was thrown outside the wall of Tabriz, Husayn-Ali, later known to the world as Bahaullah continued to support and promote the Cause of the new Faith.
He was the eldest son of a Persian minister and prince of Nur, born on the 12 november 1817.
Abdu'l-Bahá, the eldest son of Bahaullah has  told the following about His  Fathers early years.

"All since His childhood He was extremely kind and  generous. He loved outdoor life and spent most of His time in the gardens and in the fields. He had an extraordinary power of attraction, that was felt by all. People always gathered around Him. Ministers and people of the court sought his company and even children liked him very much. Already when he was thirteen -fourteen years old He was well known for His wisdom. He could converse about everything and solve all problems  presented to Him. In great assemblies, He discussed with the ulamas (the leading Islamic theologians) and explained intricate religious questions.Everybody listened to Him with the greatest interest.
When Bahaullah was 22 years old His father died and the government wanted Him to occupy the position that His father had had within the ministry. But Bahaullah did not accept this offer. Then one of the ministers said; 'Let Him go His own way. Such a position is not worthy of Him. He has some higher goal i view. I do not understand Him, but I am convinced that He is destined for an exalted career. His thoughts are not like ours. Leave Him in peace.'
Contemporay witnesses of Bahaullah tell that He possessed a strong sense for justice and that He left the luxurious life at court in order to help the downtrodden and needy  multitudes of society. He never failed to help the poor people who came to Him in large crews seeking shelter and help. He generously gave away of His own possessions and He always fed and served His friends.
After the martyrdoom of the Bab and of the massmurders of His adherents Bahaullah was the only one among them who to some extent could insert influence on the leading  circles. His many valuable qualities increasingly won the respect and love of people. He was teaching the  new Faith with great power and soon the authorities understood that Bahaullah was the reason why the new movement didn't die out.
During eight years they had tried to quench the new Faith. They had killed the Bab, but obviously the same spirit was now appearing in Bahaullah..
Then something occurred that caused new dramatic happenings.
Two young men, who had gone insane by sorrow and despair, decided to take revenge for the bloody terror and outrage that had been imposed upon the believers....Therefore in august 1852 they made an attempted assassination on the Shah. But their attempt was clumsy and failed. The shah got a few superficial wounds in the arm from a hail laden pistol and the two men responsible for this were killed without trial.
With this attempt of murder as a pretext the authorities started a campagne to exterminate the adherents of the Bab,- a general bloodbath.
According to the French historian Ernest Renan there was a menslaughter that perhaps lacks its eqvivalent in the  history  of the world. An Austrian officer, who had witnessed the massacre wrote, "I wish by God, that I had not lived  to see this",   and then he  took his leave from his service in Persia because of what he had seen.                                                                        The clergy and officials actively took  part in it and agitated the people into barbaric acts of torture. The blood was streaming on the streets of Teheran and the mad massmurders kept going on all around the country. Men, women and children were torn and  cut into peaces by hysteric fanatics, led by the reaktionary clergy of the decayed religion. No atrocities in history eclipses in bestiality these percecutions of the people of the new world religion.
Bahaullah who was the only remaining leader of the believers, was at that time in one of the small mountain villages north of Teheran when the terrible news were brought to Him. His friends warned Him of the approaching wave of persecution and tried to make Him go into hiding, until the worst hatred had ebbed away. But He had not come to the world to hide Himself. Calm and composed He rode away from the beautiful summer cottage and steered His course to the military headquarter of the shah. While on His way He was arrested and after  severe maltreatment He was threwn into the most dreaded prison in Persia, the so called "black pit". A long pathway stretching  down three storeys deep led down to this underground pit, a stenchfilled and totally dark place in the slums of Teheran.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bahaullah+and+the+bahai+faith&search=Search

To be continued

Laila
"Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens" "The source of arts and crafts is the power of reflection" Bahá'u'lláh.1817-1892 Founder of the Bahái'Faith
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Bahaullah, , Childhood, Youth ,adherent of the Bab,imprisonment
12/17/2007 3:36:17 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!