Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
HTML LESSON 4
11/24/2007 2:02:17 PM

Lesson 4

In this lesson you'll learn how to place Headings on your page and how to use the Font Tags..

Remember where ever you see this   !   Remove It as I need to keep it here to show the code.

This Is A Heading

See that big blotch of text right above this that say's "This Is A Heading"? Well, That's what we webmasters like to call a

HEADING

(I warned you that this Tutorial was designed for simple-minded people like myself.)

Headings come in six sizes:

<!H1>Your Heading</H1>

<
!H2>Your Heading</H2>

<!H3>Your Heading</H3>

<!H4>Your Heading</H4>

<!H5>Your Heading</H5>

<!H6>Your Heading</H6>

Getting Centered

You can center your Heading by nesting it inside a set of CENTER tags, like in the example below.

<!CENTER><!H1>Your Heading</H1></CENTER>

If you don't center your heading, it will naturally line up at your browser's default setting, which is probably the left of your screen.

You can also center text or images by placing them inside center tags.

Make My Words Pretty

The size and color of text on an HTML document can be controlled by using the FONT tag. You'll set color of text for the entire page in the body tag, but you can enclose indivdual words, sentances, or even sections of your page in between FONT tags to make them different than the norm.

<FONT>  </FONT>

Now Things start to get a little more involved, so pay close attention, okay?

The FONT tag's can effect several different aspects of the text you place between them. For now you only need to worry about two.

SIZE and Color

The FONT tag has a real identity crisis on it's hands. It really doesn't know much about itself until you tell it exactly what type of FONT tag it is.

You do this by assigning it an

ATTRIBUTE

COLOR is an Attribute, as is SIZE.

Every single attribute must have a value. The value would be what color or size you want your text to be.

Check out this example then we'll talk about it.

<!FONT COLOR=RED> YOUR TEXT</FONT>

In this example, FONT is the tag name, COLOR is the attribute, and RED is the value of that attribute.

You could just as easily use blue or yellow or green as the value of your color attribute. If you want a fairly basic color, you can use it's name; But if you're looking for a real off the wall color like Burlywood Brown...Well, that's another matter altogether. In that case you'll need to use it's HEXADECIMAL name.

HEXADECIWHAT???  New Big Words  LOL
Hexidecimal Color names are six digit codes used to specify how much of the colors RED, BLUE, and GREEN are in the desired color.

Here are the hexidecimal codes for some
of the more common colors:

#000000 BLACK
#FFFFFF WHITE
#FF0000 RED
#00FF00 GREEN
#0000FF BLUE
#00FFFF CYAN
#A020F0 PURPLE
#FFA500 ORANGE
#FFFF00 YELLOW
#A52A2A BROWN

You can use the hexidecimal code in place of the color's name in your font tag like this:

< !FONT COLOR="#FF0000"> Your Text</FONT>

Font Size
Use the size attribute just like the font color attribute, by inserting it into your opening font tag

<!FONT SIZE=5> YOUR TEXT</Font>

When an HTML tag accepts attributes, like the font tag does, you can put all of it's attributes in the same tag. So in our font tag we can put both the size and color attributes like this:

<!FONT SIZE=5 COLOR=#FF0000>>

There are seven font sizes you can use with 7 being the largest and 1 being the teensiest.

SIZE=7
SIZE=6
SIZE=5
SIZE=4
SIZE=3
SIZE=2
SIZE=1

Now you can play with this  sutff and see how your page will look now !

Just to help out a bit if you want to Join this FREE site It will help you practice what we learn here.

Main Forum

Main Thread

Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Lesson 3

Lesson 4

Lesson 5

Lesson 6

+0
Deb
Deb Kwek

161 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: HTML LESSON 4
11/24/2007 2:08:26 PM
Heres a color chart I use and keep on hand:
http://www.immigration-usa.com/html_colors.html

Deb
+0
Daniel Meritt

541 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/24/2007 2:12:21 PM
Hi Deb

Thank You for that !

I forgot that part   :)

Yes that is very useful to have and use.

Thats what I like to see everybody helping everybody to learn !

Team Work !

Daniel

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/24/2007 4:17:40 PM
Hello Daniel,

Yep, still with you on lesson 4. 
Here is also a link for Background colour palet
to share:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colornames.asp

Amanda

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/25/2007 2:10:40 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!