Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Pain Management...Fibromyalgia
10/12/2007 9:49:49 PM
Here is another article on fibromyalgia for those who missed some of my earlier articles. It is a brief overview of fibromyalgia syndrome. Pain Management: Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), or fibromyalgia for short, is a musculoskeletal disorder that causes pain in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons -- -the soft fibrous tissues in the body. Fibromyalgia symptoms vary from person to person but people with the condition usually experience pain most acutely during rest. FMS can occur in people of any age, but more women than men have FMS. What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia symptoms vary from person to person, but the most common symptoms are: Pain Fatigue Sleep disturbances Many people with fibromyalgia say that their entire bodies ache as if they have the flu. Their muscles may feel like they have been pulled or overworked. Sometimes the muscles twitch or burn. What Causes Fibromyalgia? The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not known, but there are triggering events that may make the condition more likely to occur. Some triggers include: Infection (viral or bacterial) Automobile accidents Development of another disorder (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or hypothyroidism, for example) While these triggering events probably do not cause fibromyalgia, they may awaken a physiological abnormality that was already present but previously unnoticed. Can Fibromyalgia Be Prevented? There is no known way to prevent fibromyalgia. However, maintaining a good diet, doing safe exercise, and getting adequate rest are important to prevent any medical condition, including fibromyalgia. How Is Fibromyalgia Diagnosed? Doctors apply pressure on 18 tender point sites on the patient's body to diagnose fibromyalgia. Patients must have chronic, widespread, musculoskeletal pain that lasts longer than three months in all four quadrants of the body. These quadrants are above and below the waist and on both sides of the body. In addition, back pain of some kind must be present. How Is Fibromyalgia Treated? Traditional treatments for fibromyalgia are meant to improve sleep quality and limit pain. The FDA has approved Lyrica as the first drug treatment for fibromyalgia. It reduces pain and improves daily functions for some patients. The drug's most common side effects include mild to moderate dizziness and sleepiness. Lyrica can also cause blurry vision and trouble concentrating. The FDA advises patients to talk to their doctor about whether the use of Lyrica may impair their ability to drive. In many cases, medications to increase the body's level of serotonin and norepinephrine (neurotransmitters that modulate sleep, pain and immune system function) are prescribed in low doses. Some of the medicines used to aid sleep include Ambien, Klonopin and Desyrel. In addition to medications, most people with fibromyalgia will need to use other treatment methods as well. These may include: Injections with lidocaine into the pain sites (called trigger points) Physical or occupational therapy Acupuncture or acupressure Relaxation/biofeedback techniques Osteopathic manipulation (a whole system of evaluation and treatment designed to achieve and maintain health by restoring normal function to the body) Chiropractic care Therapeutic massage A gentle exercise program Lifestyle modifications may help people with fibromyalgia conserve energy and minimize pain. A main component of lifestyle management is listening to your body and not trying to over-do-it. Your doctor may be able to help you develop strategies to manage your lifestyle, or may refer you to a therapist who can work with you to change your daily activities to suit your situation. Reviewed by the doctors at The Cleveland Clinic Neuroscience Center. WebMD Medical Reference provided in collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic Edited by Ephraim K Brenman, DO on March 01, 2007 'Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic 2000-2005
+0
Lisa Robertson

26 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Pain Management...Fibromyalgia
10/12/2007 10:51:45 PM

Hey Donna,

Nice hearing from you again! This is a great overview!

Check out my new posts to my blog! Fighting Fibromyagia

Hope to chat soon!

Smiles,

Lisa

Lisa Robertson
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/13/2007 3:59:40 PM

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2007 2:08:39 AM
Hi Lisa, Thanks for the link. I consume quite a bit of carbohydrates and have cut down on meat. I don't lose any weight that way, but maybe it helps my brain! I don't get fibrofog very often, just occasionally. When I was on a high protein diet many years ago, it helped me lose about 20#. That is a difficult diet to keep following indefinitely. I gradually added more carbohydrates to my daily intake, so gained all the weight back. Maybe I can now console myself that I am helping my thinking process by eating carbs! DonnaZ
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2007 2:09:23 AM
Hi Nick, Thanks for the fibromyalgia ribbon. :) DonnaZ
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!