Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Friends...Beware.....
9/27/2007 8:20:23 PM
Something I wanted to share with all my friends.

I just received an email from "paypal",  letting me know that my account was about to be suspended if I did not go "update" it.

The email looked legit, very formal and great html.  However, 2 things made me leary.

1. They did not mention my first or last name, nor my email address inside of the email. (just generic wording, that could have been sent out to anyone, or everyone) 

2. The link they gave me to go "update" my account,  started with http: and not https:  and the url was somewhat long.. had words and numbers, etc..

After going to the paypal site, (opening a new browser and just typing in the home page) and doing some research, I was exactly correct.
I also forwarded the "phony paypal" email TO paypal.

Here is also some info that I found, to help others.  Because these emails DO LOOK REAL. Please be very careful!

Question :

Q How can I tell the difference between a real PayPal email and a fraudulent one?

Answer :

A The terms "spoofing" and "phishing" describe the collection of personal information using a fake email in order to commit identity theft and internet fraud. If you click a link in an email that you're not sure is from PayPal, make certain the address at the top of the browser window that appears reads exactly www.paypal.com/us. PayPal email always addresses you by your first name, last name, or business name, and not by Dear PayPal User or Dear PayPal Member.

If you are ever uncertain about the validity of the email or the email links, open a new browser window and type in www.paypal.com/us.

If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com and delete it from your email account.

For the latest tools and information to help protect your identity and avoid fraudulent emails, log in to your PayPal account and click the Security Center link in the upper right hand of any PayPal page.

For an extra layer of security, get a PayPal Security Key. A PayPal Security Key gives you added protection by generating a unique six-digit security code every time you log in with your user name and password.

To order a PayPal Security Key, follow these steps:

Here's How:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
       2. Click the Profile subtab.
       3. In the Account Information column, click the PayPal Security Key link.
       4. Click the Order Security Key button.
       5. Confirm your shipping address, and click the Place Order button.

God Bless Everyone
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!