Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Trina Sonnenberg

784 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Social Spamming
8/27/2007 11:54:06 AM
Social Networking
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg

Social networking sites are popping up all over the place, and I have even joined a few of them myself; actually, I think they are a pretty cool concept, when used the way they were meant to be used. However, the one thing that these types of sites lack are real networkers. Real networkers who know what networking really is, I mean.

The problem as I see it is this: People join these sites to promote their business opportunities, not to do actual networking. The reason that I think this happens is not out of any sort of malice, but out of misguided enthusiasm, and guru garbage. There is a difference between advertising a business and networking. That difference seems to elude most people.

For an example, I get friend invitations all the time that are nothing more than an advertisement. Most people who invite me to be friends, never take the time to read my profile, and I can tell just by reading the invitation. In fact, I received an invitation just today, where someone was promoting a child safety program, and they even stated, "You may not have children, but..." If they'd read my profile, they would have known that I have two children.

So what does that tell me? It screams to me that they aren't interested in being a friend, or networking, but that they are taking the opportunity to sling ads at me. Would you invite a new friend over to your house, an shove newspaper ads in their face, or for the sole purpose of selling them something? I don't think so.

If they'd have read my profile, they'd also know that I am not looking for a business opportunity. So, this tells me that all they did was go to my profile page an click on the add friend button. No reading was involved; just the copying and pasting of an ad.

I'll be honest.... When someone posts and ad to my social networking profile, or sends one through an internal mailing system, or a friend invitation, all I see is, "I don't know you; I don't care to know you, just buy my stuff, or join my program." It's all Me, Me, Me! Networking is not about ME! It's about WE!

The sad thing is that people are probably doing more harm to themselves, than good. For one, they are typically slamming ads at people who are either in the same programs they are in, or have an opportunity they are trying to promote themselves. Talk about wasting time and energy. You don't promote business opportunities to those who have one; you promote to those who don't.

Social networking sites were not created as free ad sites. They do not give you license to spam. And, slinging ads at people within the confines of a networking group is spam. No matter how you slice it, you either eat it, or throw it out.

Placing banners in someone's comment window is rude too, and that seems to be a favorite past time for many. Their profile page is for their self promotion, not for visitors to post their own ads. Come on people. How would you like it if you'd spent time creating a web site, only to have scads of people throw their banners on it without asking you first? Would you go to a place of business and just put flyers up all over their store front? No, of course not. For one thing, someone would tear them all down. It would be like walking into a Wal-Mart and putting up ads for J.C. Penney. Rude, rude, rude.

This sort of behavior tells people that you are either inexperienced, or you really don't care about others; making them less than desirable to work with. (It's okay to be inexperienced, but you don't need to act unprofessional about it. In other words, you don't have to make it obvious.) I'll work with an inexperienced marketer, who demonstrates a serious and professional demeanor, than a millionaire who acts like a jerk, any day.

Social networking sites are for networking; meeting people, sharing ideas, learning new things, etc.. Perhaps someone should write an ebook about social networking etiquette. Hummm...

I join networking sites to meet people. I promote myself. I look for people who may need my services, or who may teach me something I don't know. By the way... That's how you learn to be an Internet marketer, for free. You don't need to buy every new guru ebook, or gadget to learn, just hang out in places where successful people hang out and listen to them. That's how I learned most of what I know.

Social networking is supposed to be social. Leave your business link in your signature line, and write something about yourself, not your business. If someone wants to know about your business, they will ask.

Copyright © 2007
The Trii-Zine Ezine
www.ezines1.com

About the Author:
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg
Publisher - The Trii-Zine Ezine - Your Trusted Source for Internet Business and Marketing Information. Serving online professionals since 2001. ISSN# 1555-2276
http://www.ezines1.com/triizine
http://www.ads-on-q.com/intro
Author of: My Journey A Lifetime of Verse http://stores.lulu.com/triizine
Keywords: social networking, social networking etiquette, networking, network marketing

Trina L.C. Sonnenberg Freelance Commercial Writer TLC Promotions & The Trii-Zine Ezine ISSN 1555-2276 http://www.tlcpromotions.net http://trii-zine.com http://FAA.tlcpromotions.net
+0
Re: Social Spamming
8/29/2007 9:08:43 AM
Hi Trina, I have two kids as well.  You hit the nail on the head with this topic.  Now if only we (okay, me haha) would listen and take heed.  It's funny because there is even a social networking site call me. And of course, with YuWie, you win.  Thanks for posting this, Stephen
Adlandpro is one of my fave sites as the people are fanta-bulous, the networking is great, having a place to share ads and info rocks! For over 20 years now I've been part of a huge T.E.A.M., where "Together Everyone Achieves More." Our dreams and goals are to help as many folks succeed as possible no matter what occupation or biz you are in. I have 3 main blogs or websites, including expertise in blogging, forums, communities, network marketing, social networking, advertising, lead generation, SEO & more. Love connecting with like-minded individuals. Thanks so much, Mark Stephen Hauser of http://www.facebook.com/martinezshopper and my main blog https://martinezshopperdotws.blogspot.com/
+0
Na
Na Ha

85 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/30/2007 6:29:21 AM

Amen!!!

Thanks for the reality check, Trina!

I do want to do business with others and not at them! I see that it is easy to get caught up in all of the hype if we do not keep focused and grounded. Well...........I suppose you have to have it to start, or at least find it along the way.

Here's to honest business practices! AND good friends! :)

Hoping to become a good friend!

Na Ha

www.nabaha.ws

P.S. I hope yoiuget a chance to read my profile and I will be reading yours too! LOL.......... Have a good one!

May God continue to Bless & Keep You! Peace, Na Ha Great Business Opportunity! Check me out! Read all about it… then … JOIN ME!
+0
10/31/2007 9:52:03 AM
Very well stated. Thanks for putting this all out there in black and white. Sure wish everyone would take the time to read it... ~thanks ~jennifer
~jennifer
Success does not happen by chance
Lead generation made easy
+0
2/3/2008 3:28:52 AM
Trina, this is all very well said.  I'm relatively new in the online activities whether social or business.  Little by little one becomes aware of what to do & not. I hope to see good growth here & definitely develope many good friends online  Wherever one works, meeting new people is always part of it & many times they become really close friends.

Thank you for all the sound advice.  It's best for newbies to see this before one develops bad habits.

Best regards,

Maria
Maria
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!