Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Computer Technology for the Blind
7/26/2007 12:48:41 PM
Blind people use software known as screen readers in order to access what is on the screen. The screen reader interprets what is on the screen and speaks it for the user. This generally means though that the blind user does not use a mouse, but uses keyboard commands in all software. Each screen reading software has unique commands for navigating about the screen. Because of the way a screen reader divides and interprets the screen, blind people usually do not know the physical set up of the screen. There fore, saying that the information is at the right of the screen is not helpful to some one using a screen reader. The screen reader does not take place of any other software. The user still uses programs such as, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, word processing programs, et cetera.
+0
Judy Woodson

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Computer Technology for the Blind
7/29/2007 11:41:39 AM

Thanks so much, Tracy. That was most helpful, especially the part about not knowing the physical setup of the screen. Never having seen such programs in action, I just couldn't visualize it. Many articles do, indeed say things like on the right side of the screen and I would really like to avoid saying unhelpful things. This information is also helpful to know when writing articles as many people use that type of software.

Sorry to take so long to respond. Notices here seem to arrive sporatically, so when I didn't hear back by this morning I just stopped by to check.

Have a great week!

Judy

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!