Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Designing a Page That Compliments Your Content Pt.13 (Hosting Images)
4/30/2007 12:45:42 PM
Designing a Page That Compliments Your Content Pt.13 (Hosting Images)

When a small-time blogger or diarist finds an image that looks like it might fit his post, he’s likely as not to simply link the picture where it exists, leaving it on someone else’s server, but displaying it on his page like it’s his own. For those who are not taking credit for the work, or whose blogs are not “professional,” it’s generally a non-issue. However, occasionally an image will appear on their site which is not the image they displayed, but which instead informs all their readers of what they are doing. It will say, in obnoxiously large letters that can’t be missed by the reader, “This person is stealing bandwidth.” It’s not a reputation you want your blog to have, and many sites are creating technological locks that that display such warnings or keep people from doing it altogether.

Stealing bandwidth is, in short, linking directly to another’s site in a way that causes the reader’s browser to download others’ content as part of your page. When a browser asks a server for a web page, the page points to the locations of other components of that page so that the browser can assemble it for viewing. If every word and image your page displays is stored on your server, then the bandwidth used for that page load is charged against your account. That’s fine; it’s your traffic and you should pay for it. However, if some of those components are hosted on the servers of others, your bandwidth is charged against their account. Once your traffic starts to grow, they will notice your theft and will be rightly upset with your practices. The solution is to take responsibility for your own bandwidth by hosting your own images.

In addition to being honest business, hosting your own images allows you to re-size or reformat those images to fit your page. While many blog programs allow you to do that when setting up the entry, unless you have physically re-sized the photo or image, the browser will be forced to download it in its original size and then fit it to the page. This can cause slow loading times, which are to be avoided at all costs.

The final advantage of hosting your own images is that you know they’ll always be there. As your blog grows in popularity and your archives spider their way into search engines, people will visit your prior entries as an entry point into your blog. Those entries will also be linked to and commented on by others (remember, what you’re saying is important). Ensuring that the images in your entries are under your control will eliminate the possibility that others will move or delete the images, rendering your entries less useful. Of course, be sure to respect all copyright laws when copying or modifying the work of others.

The easiest way to host your own images is to simply lease space from an internet service provider, uploading the images as you place them in entries. Check with your current provider first: you may receive a significant amount of server space assigned with your regular internet account. If you decide to lease space (and you’ll probably need to as your blog grows) be sure that the amount you have will fit the growth you plan for your business.

Kenneth R Sword Jr

Next topic:Designing a Page That Compliments Your Content Pt.14
(Archives)

+0
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Designing a Page That Compliments Your Content Pt.13 (Hosting Images)
4/30/2007 6:36:58 PM
i had to jump in here. bizzyblogz.biz is capable of storing your graphics and pictures and much more. then if you go to bizzyblogz.com you can have 2 blogs free. Learn from Kenneth, go join, then if you need help come find me. Blog on.
Nan
+0
Re: Designing a Page That Compliments Your Content Pt.13 (Hosting Images)
5/3/2007 1:49:36 PM
Hi There

I'm a newbie and am in the process of setting up a blog. I really appreciate the advice from members who have been there, done that. The downloading tips re: images etc are priceless.

The best advice I was given was to participate in the forums because of the knowledge base of many of the members- it was right on the button!!!

Great stuff.

Love & Peace

Evalyn

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!