Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Nick Grimshawe

792 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
The Comfort Trees
4/15/2007 12:20:58 PM
The Comfort Trees

© By Nicholas Grimshawe

Today the trees got their voices back.

What's that you ask? Trees and voices?

Yes, today when I went for my walk, the trees chatted happily to each other. You see for most of the winter, since leaf fall, the trees have been silent. During my winter walks I heard only the forlorn moaning as the winter gales blew through their upper branches, a sound like ghosts who cannot, or do not wish to leave, the temporal plane.

Today all that changed. Spring is like that. One moment all of nature is winter weary, then boom, stand back, an explosion of growth engulfs you. Last week on my walk, the trees showed buds swollen and ripe for bursting. Today the trees wore the mantle of their new spring clothes decked out in lime greens and lemony-greens.

From a distance, the trees glowed with an inner fire giving them, each one, a shimmering halo. I felt their excitement, their joy at their transformation and rebirth. They shouted their message of renewal: that after death comes life.
Their new passion for life, they shared with anyone with the sense to stop and observe.

They lifted me up, elevated my mood, brought a spring to my step, and joy to my soul.

Trees have been doing that for most of my life.

I grew up on a farm with many old Maples. One gave a limb to hold our swing, another, at the end of the garden, provided shelter from the summer heat, and yet another served as my own comfort tree where I went to seek solace, advice, and peaceful solitude.

Trees taught me about endurance, stoicism, quiet strength, patience, and most of all dignity.

I even wrote a story, way back then, about an old Elm at the end of the driveway that saw me through some difficult times. Growing up isn't easy. Having a good, non-judgemental prove invaluable.

There we go, understanding, another great quality of trees.

The best quality, however, is their ability to speak.

Trees talked long before man learned speech. I think we learned how to speak from trees.

To hear a tree talk you have to opened yourself up to the possibility, then stop everything you are doing and listen hard to the silence. Listen to the chattering sounds of the leaves clicking together. Listen closely. You will hear them speak.

Today with their new leaves unfurled, they could speak again. They chatted happily about the new season, the prospects of sunshine caressing their leaves, the joy of reaching upward to the light, the challenge of growing a little taller, a little stronger.

But most of all they talked about the joy of resurrection, of life come again, of new beginnings, of starting over fresh and reinvigorated, of see the world brand new, with fresh eyes.

To me they said, "You can too, all you need to do is believe its all brand new, each and everyday of your life."

That's why I call them comfort trees.

Nicholas Grimshawe
Read my Blog
http://www.beautifulsummermorning.com
Subscribe to my Inspirational Quotes
http://just-visit.us/?i=84580/

Nick Grimshawe Subscribe for Free at http://beautifulsummermorning.com/subscribe-today
+0
Re: The Comfort Trees
4/15/2007 12:38:08 PM
Nick,

Growing up as a boy in Kansas I have many memories of the sounds of leaves rustling. One of my favorite moments as a boy was a warm summers day lying on a hillside, in the tall grass of our sheep pasture. As I lay there watching the clouds rolling across the blue sky, I heard the wind rustling the leaves of a tall cottonwood tree that had sprang up out of the swale down below.

It was a peaceful time that I go back to sometimes when life starts to swirl out of control.

At that time I did not personally know God but he was there in control whispering to me through the leaves of that cottonwood tree.
You can, if you think you can. You are somebody, cause God don't make no junk!
+0
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/15/2007 12:44:16 PM
Hi Nick,
thanks for the invite, hmmm interesting topic, now that spring is here.
Indeed nature always manages to send out a message of hope to us humans...if only we would take the time to stop n listen. Spring is that special time of the year that never fails to remind us of new beginnings, and that there is always hope.

Thanks again,

have a great sunday

regards

Pauline R
+0
Nick Grimshawe

792 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/15/2007 12:44:55 PM
Thanks for your wonderful comments, and the beautiful picture.

Nick
Nick Grimshawe Subscribe for Free at http://beautifulsummermorning.com/subscribe-today
+0
4/15/2007 12:50:51 PM
Thanks!
To your health and success, Yelena Shaykevich **ONLY LOSERS PAY FOR LEADS** Discover how average people with no marketing backgrounds are getting prospects to pay them....NEVER PAY FOR TRAFFIC AGAIN!!! http://yshaykev.3stepsecret.com
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!