Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Angie Potts

173 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Finally Something Good You Can Do With Your Microwave!!
2/9/2007 11:23:42 AM
A study has shown that found microwave ovens can be used to sterilize kitchen sponges. After soaking sponges and scrubbers in dirty water (that contained everything from fecal bacteria and viruses to parasites and bacterial spores). A University of Florida team found that putting the wet sponge in the microwave for two minutes at full power could kill a range of bacteria, viruses and parasites. Be warned, though, that if you do not soak the sponge before microwaving it, it will likely catch fire and possible ruin the microwave. The heated water also seems to help the sterilization process. Sponges should also have no metallic content for this to work effectively. It is VERY important however that you realize that when this information was first posted many people used dry sponges and this caused them to burn. It is important to make sure that the sponge is completely wet before you put it in the oven. Journal of Environmental Health December 2006; 69(5): 17-24 LiveScience.com January 22, 2007 Reuters January 24, 2007
Angie P www.dahodreams.fourpointmoms.com www.dahodreams.fourpointwellness.com www.dahodreams.fourpointconsultants.com www.pureworksdistributors.com/angelapotts
+0
Kathy Kanouse

3270 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Finally Something Good You Can Do With Your Microwave!!
2/9/2007 10:26:33 PM
Hummm Angie very interesting information. I prefer a old fashioned wash cloth & a scrub pad.
+0