Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Eileen H

986 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Another Breach In CC System!
6/18/2005 11:13:48 AM
This Just was released. Keep an eye on Your CC's. ---------------------------------- NEW YORK(AP) A computer hacker may have accessed more than 40 million credit card accounts in what could be the largest in a series of recent security breaches involving consumer data, officials said. MasterCard International Inc. announced Friday that the breach was traced to Atlanta-based CardSystems Solutions Inc., which processes credit card and other payments for banks and merchants. All brands of credit cards could be affected. The compromised data did not include addresses or Social Security numbers, said MasterCard spokeswoman Sharon Gamsin. The data that may have been viewed _ names, banks and account numbers _ could be used to steal funds, but not identities. Gamsin said she did not know how the virus-like computer script that captured customer data got into CardSystems' network, which MasterCard said was infiltrated by an "unauthorized individual." Neither company would elaborate. The FBI was investigating. MasterCard said 14 million of its customers may have been exposed to fraud. A spokeswoman for American Express said a small number of its cardholders were affected, but would not give an exact number. Discover Financial Services Inc. wouldn't say whether its customers were affected. Visa USA and a large issuer of cards, MBNA Corp., did not return calls for comment Friday. The incident was the latest in a series of security lapses affecting consumer information. The breach appears to be the largest yet involving financial data, said David Sobel, general counsel at the Electronic Privacy Information Center. "The steady stream of these disclosures shows the pressing need for regulation of the industry both in terms of limitation in the amount of personal information that companies collect and also liability when these kinds of disclosures occur," he said. Under federal law, credit card holders are liable for no more than $50 of unauthorized charges, and many card issuers will even waive the $50. Other companies that have been hit by security lapses recently include Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and DSW Shoe Warehouse. Federal lawmakers responded by drawing up legislation designed to better protect consumer privacy.
+0
John Partington

1560 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Here we go Again Friends.
6/18/2005 11:22:56 AM
Hi Eileen, Many thanks for this information, it just goes to show that you are never safe even when you think you are. Your computer is at risk of being attacked by hackers as long as you are online, even firewalls won't stop them if they are determined. The worst is if they plant a keylogger on your computer, it will log every keystroke and password, it truly is getting a very unsafe environment. Best Wishes John.
A Free Add Service For The UK? Go to uk.bexp.org

A Free Add Service For The USA? Go to usa.bexp.org

Please Follow Me on Twitter Click Here

+0
Eileen H

986 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Here we go Again Friends.
6/18/2005 11:38:03 AM
Yes It is John, thanks for your reply :)
+0
Lisa Reddell

254 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Another Breach In CC System!
6/18/2005 11:42:04 AM
Hello Eileen, I heard this on the news yesterday. I am SO glad I don't own a credit card. These people really need to get a life and stop picking on the hard working folks. Lisa :`) PS Thanks for the heads up!
Lisa Reddell :`)
Do you love candles?
+0
Re: Another Breach In CC System!
6/18/2005 11:55:05 AM
Thank you for your invitation. I think we all have to consider the way we are using the internet and our credit cards.. - :-(
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!