Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Also Associated With Fibromyalgia
11/10/2006 11:56:24 PM

Irritable Bowel Syndrome used to be called spastic colon years ago. It is reported that 15-20% of Americans have it but there is little media attention given to this subject.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, can affect a person's life dramatically. The person may have predominantly diarrhea with alternating bouts of constipation; they may have predominantly constipation with occasional bouts of diarrhea. Their bowels have abnormal motility. Lower abdominal pain, bloating, gas, cramping, and explosive diarrhea may all occur. Bowel movements may occur many times a day when the bowel is irritated or may not occur for days at a time.

IBS is considered to be a syndrome, not a disease. There is no "cure". The exact cause is undetermined. Stress, certain foods, spices, eating too fast, not chewing your food thoroughly, drinking from a straw, drinking carbonated beverages, consuming caffeine, and other factors are all thought to contibute to the problem.

Many people who have fibromyalgia also suffer from IBS. It is one of many symptoms connected to fibromyalgia and is a particularly troubling one that can affect the person's life dramatically, especially when the main symptom is unpredictable diarrhea.

DonnaZ

+0
Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome Also Associated With Fibromyalgia
11/11/2006 9:53:52 AM
Donna, with so much physiological AND psychological stress in our lives, NO WONDER the IBS, MCS and Fibro are at record highs. When I got my RN in 1979, there was NO SUCH THING as Fibro or MCS! You pull up MSDS sheets on typical household cleaners, and it's a wonder things aren't worse.... I used to suffer from IBS, and it is NOT fun. THANK God with fiber, exercise and just backing away from the situations I was in with work, it's gone,.. but I remember it WELL... Excellent info... Linda/CMAS, BS, RN BizNurse@satx.rr.com
+0
Robert Talmadge

2047 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/11/2006 10:01:45 AM
There are things we can do to lessen the suffering and
a possibility of cure for this painful syndrome.

I have been in remission of symptoms for several years.

Robert
Robert Talmadge To follow your dream, follow your heart. http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/17474/ShowForum.aspx
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/12/2006 2:35:16 AM
Donna, my sister in law has Irritable Bowel Syndrome and I know that she is on a strict diet. But I am going to look into it because I thought there was herbal drink that helps releive the symptoms!
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/18/2006 12:22:46 AM
Thanks for your input Linda. I am glad you were able to conquer the Irritable Bowel Syndrome. That is amazing. I know it is very difficult to control.
DonnaZ
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!