Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jo
Jo Matthias

2947 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Women in the Global Work Force
10/28/2006 2:48:12 PM

Hello Luella May and John,

This is an extremely important subject.   Even though I have not been in the 'workforce' for many years.  I remember being a woman in the workforce..  I was never good enough, smart enough or strong enough.... Being a woman in the workforce is severely limited for most women, just because they are female.      But then....One of my first jobs as a teenager was working for a man where I was tearing down an Army Barracks that was to be rebuilt.  Several of the 'male' employees were fired because they could not keep up.  I ended up being a supervisor...   This was unheard of in the early '70s.  I worked other construction jobs as a supervisor after that.   I have always been  'tom boy' at heart....... 

VOTE!!!! POTM!!!
+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Women in the Global Work Force
10/28/2006 5:17:38 PM

Hello Jo,

How marvelous that you outperformed the men in the construction field to advance to supervisor.  That is quite a major accomplishment, especially back then.

I was the one at the other end of the spectrum.  I was the one that ran the company without the pay or status, with the men getting the glory, so to speak.  This was in the 1980's.  My title was Office Manager.  In the 1990's I was called the Office Administrator.  I started this construction development company with both the president and vice president.  However, as the business grew, men were hired who were placed in positions of power, although they knew absolutely nothing.  In fact, in two instances I trained and gave advice to young men straight out of college.  I watched them as a mom so to speak, only to see them be elevated to positions of "grandeur."

This is why I am so very happy now, having my businesses and being self sustaining.  TC4Woman is a partnership with John Elliott and I am proud to say that it is a true partnership.  Our business has the foundations of caring and respect for one another.  Although John is really responsible for a great part of my knowledge in the vast internet world and is responsible for bringing out my writing skills, he considers and treats me as his equal, including me in any business decisions that needs to be made.  John has now joined the Dipetane endeavor and again, we have the perfect working relationship, working in our individual areas of expertise, yet perfectly complimenting each other. 

The above article gives excellent solutions to how women can use business situations to their advantage in order to maintain their credibility.  Unfortunately in this wonderful high tech world of ours, women are still considered "second class" in many areas.  Hopefully, the next generation will fare far better.

Kindest regards,

Luella May and John Elliott, aka Oaky Wood

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!