Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Famous African American Women Inventors
10/27/2006 8:46:43 AM

Famous African American Women Inventors
By Claire Bretana

Science is generally viewed as a men's world. Females are rarely found tinkering around the laboratory or handling mechanical devices, much less inventing one and having it patented under their name. Patents are the proof of "ownership" of an invention and only the inventor(s) can apply for a patent. In the past, women were not allowed equal rights of property ownership (patents are a form of intellectual property) and many women patented their inventions under their husband's or father's names. In the past, women were also prevented from receiving the higher education necessary for inventing. Today, however, hundreds of thousands of women apply for and receive a patent every year. About 20% of all inventors are currently female and that number should quickly rise to 50% over the next generation.

Among these women inventors from the past to the present, there are African American women inventors. Their number, however, can not be exactly determined. According to EnchantedLearning.com, Sarah S. Goode was the first African American woman to have received a patent in 1885 (patent #322,177, approved on July 14, 1885). She invented the folding cabinet bed, a space-saver that folded up against the wall into a cabinet. When folded up, it could be used as a desk, complete with compartments for stationery and writing supplies. Goode owned a furniture store in Chicago, Illinois, and invented the bed for people living in small apartments.

The second African American woman to receive a patent was Miriam Benjamin who was a Washington D.C. school teacher. She received a patent in July 17, 1888 for an invention she called a "Gong and Signal Chair for Hotels". Her invention allowed hotel customers to summon a waiter from the comfort of their chair. A button on the chair would buzz the waiters' station and a light on the chair would let the wait staff know who wanted service. Miriam Benjamin's invention was adapted and used in the United States House of Representatives.

On April 26, 1892, Sarah Boone's received a patent (U.S. Patent #473,653) for an improvement to the ironing board. Sarah Boone's ironing board was designed to be effective in ironing the sleeves and bodies of ladies' garments. Sarah Boone's board was very narrow and curved, the size and fit of a sleeve, and it was reversible, making it easy to iron both sides of a sleeve.

Perhaps the most famous African American woman inventor of all time is Madame C. J. Walker (December 23, 1867 - May 25, 1919). She was an inventor, businesswoman and self-made millionaire. Born Sarah Breedlove McWilliams C. J. Walker, she was an African-American who developed many beauty and hair care products that were extremely popular. Madame Walker started her cosmetics business in 1905. Her first product was a scalp treatment that used petroleum and a hot comb. Sarah later invented a system for straightening hair. She added Madame to her name and began selling her new "Walker System" door-to-door. Walker soon added a hair-growing ointment and other cosmetic products to her line. The products were very successful and she soon had many saleswomen, called "Walker Agents," who sold her products door to door.

Many of these women grew up in a time when females and colored people were discriminated against. Their social status may have prevented them from getting an education but this did not stop them from exploring their world and finding ingenious solutions to everyday problems. Their innate intelligence and determination had brought them their personal triumph over adversity. Their inventions may not have survived into the 21st century and yet their pioneering spirit will live on in the present generation of women working in the fields of science and technology.

Find great articles on Afrian American culture, history, lifestyle and relationships with links to online products and other African American websites at GoAfrican.com.
http://www.goafrican.com/

FOR MORE INFORMATIVE ARTICLES VISIT OUR FORUM OR MAIN SITE
http://thecorner4women.com/Forum
http://thecorner4women.com

+0
Jo
Jo Matthias

2947 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Famous African American Women Inventors
10/28/2006 11:22:55 AM

Hello Luella May,

Great information...  It is amazing how people overcome adversity and discrimination.   I love the 'folding cabinet bed' and would like to have them in my home today, they would be so much better than 'sofa beds'.  Thank you for sharing this.

VOTE!!!! POTM!!!
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/28/2006 11:30:57 AM
Thank you very much for this article.

I know I will use this one as well-peobably to copy and hand out to my girls in the "hood".

When I used to participate in cultural festivals,in California, I had the pleasure of meeting some of Madame C.J.Walkers great-grand daughters.

This pioneer still has a tremendous following as people do know she was a millionaire by her own making, hard work and vision. Her picture hangs in almost every African American hair salon.

This informative article does sadly point out the fact of just how racially divided we still are and the great need for highlighting who did what.

Just last week the sheriff of our neighboring parish was called to task for proposing to profile blacks (again) to try to stem the crime problem after traveling to New York to find out how to police blacks.

Once again, nobody is acknowledging that these people have been repeatedly traumitized and need mental health help, education and civilized treatment before prison is thrown into the mix.

Articles like yours; John and Luella help to uplift all of us and are golden nuggets to grab onto to help instill pride.

Not false pride for the best shoes, or clothes or weight, etc. but the pride of acheivement and talent.

They highlight the triumph of the human spirit and how wonderful we all are.

God did not create junk.

+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/28/2006 5:48:15 PM

Hello Jo!

I loved the folding cabinet bed myself!  That would be most convenient, actually even today.  The world has many such heros and heroines, past and present, that did not let the worst of adversities stop them.  I admire their pride, strength and determination.

Love to you,

Luella May and John Elliott, aka Oaky Wood

+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/28/2006 5:57:11 PM

Hello my dear friend Joyce! 

You are exactly who I described in the post above, the heros and heroines of past and present.  You are the present, my dear.  You have taken on a challenge that would seem insurmountable to some people.  It probably does to you at times also.  However, you are making more than a dent.  You are changing lives and letting people know of the injustice that prevails in that area.  You will be heralded for many years to come by those children that you are saving.

I admire you for your love and caring.  Not many people would take on such an endeavor.  I admire your mother from what you have written.  What a great lady she was!  And you are a chip off the block.  She must have been a fine lady, because she surely did raise an outstanding daughter.

Joyce, you are amazing, and my heroine of the present!

Love to you,

Luella May and John Elliott, aka Oaky Wood

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!