Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Adventist Belief Number 23 - Marriage and the Family
10/25/2006 8:24:34 PM

Hi My Trusted Friends, I believe that society as we know it has fallen apart, primarily because the sacredness of partnership in marriage and devotion to one another for a lifetime seems to be a joke. Marriages come and go, and we as society are feeling the pains by all the crime, drugs, and broken homes spoil our young people's future, because they don't understand the way a family should operate. What are your feelings upon correcting a child who has commited a sin, or a crime. How Should he/she be corrected. The bible says if we spare the rod, we will spoil the child. What then should we do? The laws in this country do not allow us to physically punish a child. Is this good or bad. Please leave your comment!

23. Marriage and the Family:
Marriage was divinely established in Eden and affirmed by Jesus to be a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship. For the Christian a marriage commitment is to God as well as to the spouse, and should be entered into only between partners who share a common faith. Mutual love, honor, respect, and responsibility are the fabric of this relationship, which is to reflect the love, sanctity, closeness, and permanence of the relationship between Christ and His church. Regarding divorce, Jesus taught that the person who divorces a spouse, except for fornication, and marries another, commits adultery. Although some family relationships may fall short of the ideal, marriage partners who fully commit themselves to each other in Christ may achieve loving unity through the guidance of the Spirit and the nurture of the church. God blesses the family and intends that its members shall assist each other toward complete maturity. Parents are to bring up their children to love and obey the Lord. By their example and their words they are to teach them that Christ is a loving disciplinarian, ever tender and caring, who wants them to become members of His body, the family of God. Increasing family closeness is one of the earmarks of the final gospel message. (Gen. 2:18-25; Matt. 19:3-9; John 2:1-11; 2 Cor. 6:14; Eph. 5:21-33; Matt. 5:31, 32; Mark 10:11, 12; Luke 16:18; 1 Cor. 7:10, 11; Ex. 20:12; Eph. 6:1-4; Deut. 6:5-9; Prov. 22:6; Mal. 4:5, 6.)

+0
Re: Adventist Belief Number 23 - Marriage and the Family
10/25/2006 10:17:37 PM

Hello, James!

I do truly believe that you can discipline your children without beating them.  I'm living proof and I lead a productive, law-abiding life.  The true problem is the refusal to accept responsibility for one's actions and todays parents are not putting the effort into teaching their children how to be responsible, law abiding or productive.  The TV or video games is not a baby sitter, nor is it a parent.  Okay, I was not a perfect child and I did suffer the consequences of my actions, such as revocation of priveledges, grounding, and lectures as to why what I did was wrong.  I also knew when Mum or Dad said no, they meant it.  No did not mean not now or maybe.  If we acted up in public places, we were taken away from the store, restaurant, wherever, without treats, toys, dinner (we did get fed, just not McDonald's or other "out" food) and not allowed to go places with Mum or Dad for quite some time after that.  It didn't take long to learn how to behave.  All this without beating.  Okay, once in a rare while I did get a whack on the bum.

As far as marriage goes, it really is too easy to get married.  It should be as difficult as divorce.  Also, now that people are choosing their own partners rather than the family of the prospective bride and groom, they are making some pretty poor choices in mates.  Love?  That's no reason to get married.  You marry some one who is kind, gentle and can earn a living (whether you're male or female), some one you like and get along with.  Passion fades after a time.  Again, this goes back to responsibility.  Years and years ago, people needed each other to survive in this world.  Life is easier now, but people have become spoiled and selfish.  Their world does not extend past their noses.  And, in this world of instant gratification nothing has value.  Not even one's family or spouse.  Don't like this wife?  Get another!  Some people change partners faster square dancers!

Kate

Kate McCrea Black Cat Originals Will Bring Your Fashion Vision To Life! http://www.blackcatoriginals.com
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/25/2006 10:29:16 PM

Kate, I learned early in life that when my father told me something, he meant it. When I was about 7 years old I did something very foolish. I chased my sister with a running lawn mower and threatened her into the hanging clothes line. My father caught me doing it. I don't remember what she said to me but it was enough to really make me mad. He beckoned me into the garage where he removed his leather belt from his pants, and boy did I ever get it. That was the last time he punished me. When I went away to boarding school, he told me that if he ever found out that I had been punished for a good reason, that he would punish me also when I came home. He never had to do it.

To this day, I am ever grateful to him for laying out the rules. I know I am a better person for it.

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/26/2006 8:05:26 AM

Hi James,

Seems like were very fast at learning LOL .. as far a marriage I believe it is a sacred act and should be upheld as such. There are only two reasons I view as reasons for divorce being and option. One abusive behaviour  and two adultery. If couples would spend more time getting to know each other though courtship and marriage counseling getting a  clear understanding of what is expected in a marriage,  possibly there would be fewer marriages and fewer divorces.

On children, I am  firm believer in spare the rod spoil the child. There is a HUGH difference between loving disciple and beating. Spanking is always a last resort but, if you are training a child to obey than sometimes a good whack on the be hind is helpful to get their attention. If a child cannot learn to obey their earthly fathers and mother whom they can see how will they ever learn to obey their heavenly father whom they can't?

Blessings,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/26/2006 11:59:26 AM

Hi Geketa, thanks for sharing! I believe also, even though I don't have any children of my own, that physical punishment should be a last resort. Most children observe your behavior and act accordingly. If they see that you let them slide, they will get away with alot of things. However, if you are firm, stand your ground, and set a good example, most of the time they will listen. As children get older, it is good to become friends with them, as you will be their mentor so to speak. Even now, when I need advice, I will call my dad and ask his opinion.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!