Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Fundamental Belief Number 22 - Christian Behavior
10/24/2006 12:36:10 AM

Question. What do you believe is appropriate dress code for church?

~~~~~~~~~~~

22. Christian Behavior:
We are called to be a godly people who think, feel, and act in harmony with the principles of heaven. For the Spirit to recreate in us the character of our Lord we involve ourselves only in those things which will produce Christlike purity, health, and joy in our lives. This means that our amusement and entertainment should meet the highest standards of Christian taste and beauty. While recognizing cultural differences, our dress is to be simple, modest, and neat, befitting those whose true beauty does not consist of outward adornment but in the imperishable ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit. It also means that because our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, we are to care for them intelligently. Along with adequate exercise and rest, we are to adopt the most healthful diet possible and abstain from the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures. Since alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and the irresponsible use of drugs and narcotics are harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from them as well. Instead, we are to engage in whatever brings our thoughts and bodies into the discipline of Christ, who desires our wholesomeness, joy, and goodness. (Rom. 12:1, 2; 1 John 2:6; Eph. 5:1-21; Phil. 4:8; 2 Cor. 10:5; 6:14-7:1; 1 Peter 3:1-4; 1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 10:31; Lev. 11:1-47; 3 John 2.)

+0
Re: Fundamental Belief Number 22 - Christian Behavior
10/24/2006 12:43:20 AM

Again, people make this harder and more complex than it really is.  They like to either read more into Jesus's teachings than there really is or bend the context of the scriptures to their own purposes.

Kate 

Kate McCrea Black Cat Originals Will Bring Your Fashion Vision To Life! http://www.blackcatoriginals.com
+0
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2006 7:02:13 AM
Interesting question Jim, again the same principal will apply here as to abiding by the 10 commandments...read Mark 7: 1-23 very clearly said in Jesus on words !! about dress code, well as born again Christians I think we have the Holy Spirit to guide us and we will definately know what is right or wrong to wear. Remember God created us naked...so sin is really in the eyes of the beholder !!! with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we can take control of our sinful thoughts and not act on them...that is a Spirit filled life that one can lead. So there you are....bless you Jim Pauline R
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2006 9:32:42 AM
Hi Kate, were you refering to something in  specific? I'd like to know!
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2006 9:40:56 AM

Hi Pauline, the reason I asked this question, is because sometimes people come to church in their rags, or they have an excessive amount of jewelry, or a miniskirt. The purpose we come to church is to worship God, and keep ourselves focused on Him.

Sometimes people come to church to attract attention to themselves, probably because they have some inferior complex that is expressed this way.

When I go to church, I usually wear a suit and tie. I think God would desire us to be clean and represent Him in a positive way, don't you agree? If someone comes to church and sits down beside you that hasn't taken a bath for a week, how would you feel about that? I probably would have to get up and move.

Of course the sinner who comes to church who is looking for salvation on the other hand is a different story. Christ accepts us all, no matter what state we are in.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!