Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - EDOUARD MANET
10/7/2006 8:50:38 AM
Dear Adland Friends,

Until now, I have offered a panorama that spans nearly three centuries of the great European art, yet skips some of the most famed artists and schools so as to feature less known - but in no way less beautiful - master works. My idea has been to offer a preliminary selection that while could be favored by most of the people on account of its being from two of the most popular trends in art history, the Baroque and the Romantic, would at the same time exclude paintings perhaps too known and therefore less interesting to the general public. That is one reason why I have not presented any works from the Renaissance; the other being that this great period was too religion-oriented as to be part of an introductory selection. However, in the main body of this exhibition such exclusion will be amply compensated.

The masterpiece shown this time, "The Railroad," belongs to the realist period of Edouard Manet, who actually is regarded the most important master of Impressionism. I selected it for its great, colorful beauty and its evocative quality.

On the next few subsequent releases pertaining to this panoramic introduction I will present some master works by great artists from the Eastern world and, hopefully, one or two Modern Art masterpieces before going into the main part of this art exhibition.

I am very happy with the feedback received so far. Your posting at this forum is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Le Chemin de Fer ("The Railroad") (1)
by Edouard Manet

born January 23, 1832, Paris, France
died April 30, 1883, Paris

Profile (2)

French painter who broke new ground by defying traditional techniques of representation and by choosing subjects from the events and circumstances of his own time. His Déjeuner sur l'herbe (“Luncheon on the Grass”), exhibited in 1863 at the Salon des Refusés, aroused the hostility of critics and the enthusiasm of the young painters who later formed the nucleus of the Impressionist group. His other notable works include Olympia (1863) and A Bar at the Folies-Bergère (1882).

Manet's debut as a painter met with a critical resistance that did not abate until near the end of his career. Although the success of his memorial exhibition and the eventual critical acceptance of the Impressionists—with whom he was loosely affiliated—raised his profile by the end of the 19th century, it was not until the 20th century that his reputation was secured by art historians and critics. Manet's disregard for traditional modeling and perspective made a critical break with academic painting's historical emphasis on illusionism. This flaunting of tradition and the official art establishment paved the way for the revolutionary work of the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists. Manet also influenced the path of much 19th- and 20th-century art through his choice of subject matter. His focus on modern, urban subjects—which he presented in a straightforward, almost detached manner—distinguished him still more from the standards of the Salon, which generally favoured narrative and avoided the gritty realities of everyday life. Manet's daring, unflinching approach to his painting and to the art world assured both him and his work a pivotal place in the history of modern art.

Technical data (3)

Le Chemin de Fer ("The Railroad")
Oil on canvas
36 1/2 x 44 7/8 inches (93 x 114 cm)
National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, USA
Gift of Horace Havenmeyer in memory of his mother, Louisine W. Havenmeyer

(1) This image is a courtesy of Art Renewal Center.

(2) Source: Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.

(3) Source: Art Renewal Center.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - EDOUARD MANET
10/7/2006 10:03:13 AM
Hello Luis,

Thank you for the exhibition. This forum is fantastic. There you have another Master Piece. Eduard Manet very famus but this master piece I can't remember.

Warm Regards
Georgios
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+1
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/7/2006 12:04:02 PM
thanks again for the invite Luis, this is amazing work by Manet, he dared to be different and look how famous he is !!! I look forward to the modern art masterpieces eagerly. warm regards, Pauline R
+1
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/7/2006 2:30:28 PM

Hi,

Oh what a great choice. Manet is one of my favorite impressionists. I love the fact that he uses everyday subject matter. His use of broad simple color areas, and his vivid summary brush technique is without compare.

Thank you so much for presenting this fine work.

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+1
Barb Doyle

1469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
10/7/2006 2:38:24 PM

Hi Luis,

Thank you for sharing another great work of art.

Peace, Health and Prosperity,
Barb Doyle, Sc

You'll be glad you visited this site.
http://empower.thisworks.biz

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!