Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Back Pain?
9/26/2006 11:14:11 PM

Ok A minuet to be serious. Do you experience back pain that cannot be explained? This is becomming more common and most people are un-aware of the cause. Here is a little information if you need it - God Bless!

What is ankylosing spondylitis?

Ankylosing spondylitis is a form of chronic inflammation of the spine and the sacroiliac joints. The sacroiliac joints are located in the low back where the sacrum (the bone directly above the tailbone) meets the iliac bones (bones on either side of the upper buttocks). Chronic inflammation in these areas causes pain and stiffness in and around the spine. Over time, chronic spinal inflammation (spondylitis) can lead to a complete cementing together (fusion) of the vertebrae, a process referred to as ankylosis. Ankylosis leads to loss of mobility of the spine.

Ankylosing spondylitis is also a systemic rheumatic disease, meaning it can affect other tissues throughout the body. Accordingly, it can cause inflammation in or injury to other joints away from the spine, as well as other organs, such as the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys. Ankylosing spondylitis shares many features with several other arthritis conditions, such as psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis, and arthritis associated with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Each of these arthritic conditions can cause disease and inflammation in the spine, other joints, eyes, skin, mouth, and various organs. In view of their similarities and tendency to cause inflammation of the spine, these conditions are collectively referred to as "spondyloarthropathies." For more information, please read the following articles; Psoriatic Arthritis, Reactive Arthritis, Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.

Inflammation of Spondyloarthropathy Illustration - Ankylosing Spondylitis

Ankylosing spondylitis is 2-3 times more common in males than in females. In women, joints away from the spine are more frequently affected than in men. Ankylosing spondylitis affects all age groups, including children. The most common age of onset of symptoms is in the second and third decades of life.

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Re: Back Pain?
9/27/2006 12:54:28 AM

This is interesting information.  I have had some back pain for about 4+ years.  An MRI four years ago revealed that my problem was stenosis (narrowing) of the spinal canal (canal through which the spinal cord goes).  I finally decided a few weeks ago that it was time to try an epidural injection of a steroid to treat the inflammation.  I had this done yesterday afternoon by a pain management M.D.  By evening there was absolutely no pain.  (A recent MRI was done to see if there had been additional problems.)

This is not what your forum covers.  However, I kick it in for any of your readers who may have my problem, but haven't tried a shot yet.

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/27/2006 1:04:00 AM

Hi Lawton !

Please believe when I say I know exactly what you are talking about. I have had a total of three back operations with fusion and hardware (screws and supporting rods holding the spine together) Now they found that I also have the narrowing because of increasing pain - so I guess we have something incommon - Take care my brother!

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Jerilyn Merideth

1618 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/27/2006 6:13:27 AM

THANKS FOR THE INFO, NICK!

I TOO HAVE THE EPIDURALS FOR MY FRIED SPINE!

THEY REALLY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!

THANKS TO THE EPIDURALS I WAS ABLE TO GET OFF THE MEDS. THAT KEPT ME KNOCKED OUT FOR 3+ YEARS!

THE ONLY THING IS I WILL HAVE TO HAVE THEM FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

ATLEAST I HAVE A LIFE!!!

TAKE CARE,

JERILYN

Jerilyn Merideth http://www.critterpower.com "Cutest Critter Photo Contest" now through April 30, 2011. "The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous"
+0
Bea
Bea Souza

1316 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/27/2006 12:52:25 PM

Hi Nick,

When you talk about back pain I know exactly what you are talking about. I have osteoarthritis and my lower spine is a mess. I have been having shots to strenghen the left side because my lumbar curves to the right and is loaded with spurs.  I haven't had surgury because we are trying the shots first. I don't even know if I can have surgury to correct this.  I had my left hip completely replaced and that is doing just great.  I just wish my back could be fixed as easily.  I just take things day by day and if the back is too bad I just try to take it easy so as not to irritate it more.  We all have to hang in there.

No waiting.                                                    Get exposed.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!