Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Pain Management Tips
8/25/2006 3:45:38 PM

This is an article I wrote for my fibromyalgia blog. I hope you find it helpful.

Fibromyalgia has many symptoms. Not everyone has each symptom but certainly everyone with this syndrome has varying degrees of pain. Some days the pain is more intense than other days. The pain is not always in the same area or areas either. Something that hurts one day may not bother you as much the next day, but then something different aches instead. Someone once told me that fibromyalgia was called "travelling lumbago" many years ago.
Dealing with the pain is very difficult but you need to learn ways to manage it so it doesn't overwhelm you. Each person needs to try several different treatments to find the one or several that help because each person is unique. What works for one may not work for another.
Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. For example, if you twist your ankle, it hurts. This is your body's way of letting you know that you need to take care of the area to let it heal.
In fibromyalgia, your body appears to be overly sensitive to stimuli that do not bother "normal" people. The pain may be from damage to tissue, excessive fatigue, depression, stress, or other things, many of which we cannot pinpoint. That does not make the pain any less intense.
Thinking of pain as a signal to take positive action rather than as a continual ordeal you have to endure can help you learn ways to manage it.
Your mind plays an important role in how to respond to pain. If you feel helpless and depressed you decrease your physical activity, your social interaction, your zest for life. When these decrease you then feel more helpless and more depressed, leading to a vicious cycle of pain, decreased activity, lessened self-esteem, less social interaction, etc.
There are some things you can do to build a feeling of personal control and more positive feelings.

• Try to keep a positive attitude.
  • Try to eat a balanced diet with limited sugar.
  • Take part in regular exercise at least 3 days a week but preferably 5 days a week.
  •  Surround yourself with positive people rather than negative people who just make you feel worse.
  •  Try to increase humor by reading funny stories, reading jokes, recalling humorous circumstances in your past life, or any other means you can think of to make yourself laugh or at least smile. Perhaps a child did something funny, or perhaps you have a pet who does goofy things. Think about these things.
  • Try to distract yourself from dwelling on the pain by doing something you enjoy. It might be reading a book, surfing the internet, watching a movie, listening to music, taking a walk outside, swimming, watching children play, going to a park, cooking, collecting teddy bears, talking to friends or family on the phone, or whatever else you find pleasurable.

These are some suggestions that I hope you find helpful. Try to add one or more to your routine and see if this provides any relief from pain.
Please feel free to leave comments on this article. I would love to hear how others with fibromyalgia or similar chronic pain deal with their bouts of pain.

---------------------------------------------------------
You may reprint this article as long as you leave this resource box intact.
http://www.bizzyblogz.com/fibromyalgia
DonnaZ

+0
Lisa Robertson

26 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Pain Management Tips
8/6/2007 1:42:48 AM
Hey Donna,
Thanks for your article. I think that pain is a large part of fibromyalgia. I deal with my episodes by doing Yoga. I find that it relaxes me and also gives me energy.

Somedays the fight is harder then others and you just plain get tired of being in pain. I surround myself with my family and try not to think about the pain.

I hope everyone tries to find their way through the pain. Remember
"Manage fibromyalgia don't let it manage you!"

Smiles,
Lisa Robertson
www.diabeteswatch.bravehost.com
www.findingfriends.braveblog.com
Lisa Robertson
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/8/2007 5:59:16 PM
Hi Lisa, I need to try yoga again. I have a yoga mat left over from when I took a class a couple of years ago. My problem with yoga is changing positions that involve using your joints. My knees are bad so I have to put a pillow underneath them to get on them. I also can't do the moves where you have to get down on the mat from a standing position real fast. I do think yoga helps though. When my lower back is very painful, I will lay on the mat and do stretches. Those help loosen the tight muscles. Keep on keeping on Lisa. :) DonnaZ
+0
Lisa Robertson

26 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/8/2007 7:11:40 PM
Hello Donna,
I know all too much about aching joints! I think the biggest thing when it comes to yoga and joints  is to find the basic move. There are many routines that  show both the basic and advanced moves of each position. Only do the basic move until you feel comfortable. Remember you have a stop or pause button, try to stop it or pause it until you get into the right position and restart when you are ready. Also try using some cream or pain rub on your knees before you start this will help reduce the pain. If you can taking tylenol arthritis through out the day or before you exercise will help a great deal. It has worked for me many times, and it wont make you drowzy.

I hope this has given you a new attitude about yoga and helps you in the future.

Hope to chat soon!

Smiles,

Lisa
Lisa Robertson
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/9/2007 12:24:52 AM
Thanks for the good tips Lisa. It seems we have a lot of symptoms in common! I hadn't tried the pain rub on my knees nor have I taken the tylenol arthritis. I take an anti-inflammatory prescription medicine daily but it doesn't contain any Tylenol. It also only takes the edge off pain, never completely takes care of pain. DonnaZ
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!