Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The 100th Monkey
8/22/2006 8:44:25 AM

Hi!

I'm reading Wayne Dyer's "You'll See it When You Believe It" right now. (Excellent book) He's talking about the concept that we humans are all part of a whole that makes up the world we live in. This excerpt fascinated me:

[excerpt]
Very briefly, the hundredth monkey is a theory about how all of us within a species affect one another. A group of monkeys was being studied off the coast of Japan, and one monkey within the group began washing his sweet potatoes in a certain way in the salt water. Soon, all of the monkeys began mimicking this monkey, and doing the same thing.

When a given number of monkeys behaved in this fashion, the same behavior began to appear in a group of monkeys hundreds of miles away, even though the two groups had had no physical contact with each other. The hundredth monkey symbolized what scientists called the critical mass within the species.

It is theorized that once a critical mass number is reached, the same behavior begins to show up in all of the other members of the same species. It seems to be true for all species that when a given critical mass of its members begins to think or act in a certain way, so does every other member of that same species. [excerpt]

The first thought that came to mind was "what *critical mass* am *I* personally helping to create? You?

Linda

+0
Kathy Kanouse

3270 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The 100th Monkey
8/22/2006 8:57:07 AM
Thanks Linda for sharing about this book you are reading. I hope that with all you have taught us that we are not creating wild monkeys but yet ones of a sound heart & mind. I appreciate all that you have done in helping me to learn Networking the proper way. Thanks for all of your hard earned help as I learn more daily from all of my friends here at Adland.
God Bless You
Enjoy your book it sounds like a great read.
+0
8/22/2006 9:09:56 AM

Hmmm - critical mass?  Well, I certainly think that there is a mass - whether they are critical or not is debatable, within the Adland Pro Community. When I visit I certainly see the same names for the most part - and mostly saying things that they each agree with, which leads me to think that perhaps far from CREATING the mass - we are IDENTIFYING with the mass - or at least that mass with whom we find comforting parallels.

There is no big surprise in this, as it is normal for us to want to associate and share common values and beliefs.  I think this is very well illustrated by the comparison with forums in which different opinions are expressed.  Here almost immediately one sees aggression - see Netscape or even Letters to the Editor pages.  We have seen it happen here - albeit briefly.

You, as in common with a few others, raise matters which by definition we are interested in, and also by definition we become involved in - but are you CREATING or leading or identifying?  I feel the last one is the most apposite.

What does happen of course as I indicated in another post - is that we do tend to find conversations somewhat circular on that basis. Argument, or non-agreeing attitude is seen as aggressive, and reactions are predictable, and if we are fair we have to acknowledge that many posters have vanished off the forums because of that.

Examples are the defensive attitudes re. race, religion, George Bush etc. I think most are looking for a comfortable conversation with friends who have shared beliefs, and not really looking for argument development.  I understand this as I too am not looking for confrontation.  Human nature.

Returning to the point of the monkeys, well we are not so very far from them in reality, and maybe they are secret Adland Pro members?

Pass the bananas!

Norm Clark
+0
8/22/2006 11:20:50 AM

Hi Norm;

You're right that no one seeks confrontation. lol. I don't either.
But, to use your quip about Adland being the group of monkeys... (lol)

Let's say Adland IS the group monkeys. 35,000+ monkeys.
-- one monkey whispers "there is a way to get rich quick... click here"
-- another monkey whispers "you can get rich, but you need to learn how..."

One of those thoughts will achieve critical mass. But which one?
There are two potential outcomes.

Option #1:
People follow monkey #1 and the "get rich quick" ideology achieves critical mass. What happens is that the masses are making no money because they are chasing a pipe dream - and the few that did not join the masses sit back and make lots of money. They shrug and say "the others chose not to listen"

Option #2:
People reject option #1 and follow monkey #2. They learn how to create wealth. More people have more wealth, so everything flows more abundantly and everyone benefits.

When I read that excerpt, I suddenly saw - with great clarity - why I keep saying the things I say. Because I will NOT be a part of helping the wrong ideas reach critical mass. Because if the right ideas ever reach critical mass, I will be part of helping achieve that.

In the last 6 years, I have quadrupled my income.
I wonder how many Adlanders can say that.

I am not done yet. I truly believe that the world is rich in abundance, but some can not reach that abundance from where they are. I want to be their hands. The hands that provide for children that are hungry for food and learning and love. The hands that care for animals others abuse.

Even while saying that, I also believe "can not" and "will not" are not the same thing. My goal is to help those that "can not" help themselves. Those that "will not" help themselves have to account for their own choices. For following the first monkey even though Mom told them if it sounds too good to be true, it just might be.

I won't help incorrect ideas reach critical mass. Thus, I keep saying what I say. See? lol.

: )
Linda

+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/22/2006 11:37:24 AM

Hi Linda,

This study was done in the fifities. When Imo washed her potatoes, the actual observance was that the younger generations caught on to this technique and followed it, but the older monkeys in the troop didn't.

The washing of potatoes did become a part of a certain ritual within the younger of the troop and their progeny.

The idea of this being "critical mass" has been talked about for years by different people.

Jung coined it the "collective unconcious", biologists, like Sheldrake termed it morphogenic fields.

I think this theory is being tossed about again because it causes the masses to have an optimistic scenerio of the future, especially now, with the war raging on.

It is much simpler to think that if we all do good that the bad can be alleviated.

But we have to remember what the pervasive archetypes in our society are, fear and hate. This will rage on forever until there is a change in the socio-economic levels of certain cultures.

The 100th Monkey theory is just that, a theory. And has been made into a psuedoscientific superstition. Creating a new alternative does not displace older alternatives. It just provides more choices.

The whole idea of what is true for a "critical mass" becomes true for everyone, is ultimately a rather far-fetched and frightening scenario,

Thak you for listening.

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!