Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Let's get inside the Castle!
7/18/2006 4:42:46 PM
Welcome and greetings my friends!

I'm glad to see you back to the Inside Tour of Bran Castle!
Let's remeber where we are:

Bran Castle
Bran Castle
On December 1st, 1920, the Brasov Town Council donated the Bran Castle to Queen Marie of Romania.
Being restored  according to the plans of the Royal Court's architect, Carel Liman, the castle lost the appearance of stronghold, being turned into a beautiful royal summer residence.
Queen Marie's bedroom
Queen Marie's bedroom

Queen Marie's bedroom
Between 1921-1927 extensive renovations transformed the interior and exterior of the Bran castle. A fourth floor was added for the queen's aide, the defense gallery of the tower became a apartment for the queen's ladies in waiting, the Gunner's Room became the Royal Chapel. Gothic frames were added to the front entrance doors.
Queen Marie's bedroom
Queen Marie's bedroom
Queen Maria had an elevator installed in the fountain which is in the innercourt. The elevator descended 197 ft. to a tunnel opened onto the park grands in the valley below.

The rose wood baldaquin bed in baroque style is dated from 18th century

The Council Hall The Council Hall
Queen Marie (1875-1938) had a tremendous influence on the development of Romanian art in the 45 years she spent in the country. She was the biggest patron of Art Nouveau in Romania and encouraged national art movements and peasant crafts. Her writing, include novels and collections of fairy tales, as well a her autobiographies (1934 and 1935).
The Dining Room The Dining Room
Queen Marie was born on October 29, 1875 in Kent, England. Her mother, Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia, was the only surviving daughter of Czar Alexander II of Russia, and her father, Alfred, Duke of Edingburg, was the second son of Queen Victoria.
Queen Marie's Library Queen Marie's Library
In 1893, Marie married the heir to the Romanian throne Ferdinand.
In 1914, Marie became Queen of the Romanians.
She and Ferdinand had 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls (Carol, Elisabeth, Marie, Nicolas, Ileana and Mircea). The youngest one, Mircea would die at age 4, but the rest of her children did live on.

Queen Marie's Music Room Queen Marie's Music Room
During World War I, Queen Marie volunteered as a Red Cross nurse to help the sick and wounded Romanian soldiers, many of whom were victims of cholera and typhus epidemics. She pour her soul into her work; did not wear gloves when dealing with the sick. She did not choose to have any protection from those who would harm her when she went into Romanian villages to see how her people lived.
Queen Marie's Music Room Queen Marie's Music Room
Queen Marie popularity soared after she organized cholera camps in the World War I and appeared at the Paris peace conference in 1919, announcing that "Romania needs a face, and I have come to show mine"
The Hunting Trophies Hall The HuntingTrophies Hall
Queen Marie visited the U.S.A in autumn of 1926 when was a special guest of Samuel Hill, a millionaire who organized Maryhill Art Museum to honor Queen Marie and King Alfred of Begium. The Maryhill Museum was dedicated by Queen Marie, and houses one of the rarest collections of Romanian treasures in the world, including the  dress she wear for coronation.
Stella Maris Chapel
 Stella Maris Chapel
Queen Marie held the castle as her second favourite residence after the one in Balcic.
Stella Maris Chapel in Bran is a replica of the royal chapel in Balcic. The chapel was painted in 1927 by Arthur Verona.
As requested in Queen Marie's will, after her death, her heart was placed in a gold casket and buried in Balcic, later moved to a grotto by the Bran castle; is now safeguarded in Bucharest's National History Museum.
Queen Marie is buried in Curtea de Arges.

Biedermeir living room (19th century) Biedermeier living room (19th century)
In 1938, after Queen Marie death, the Bran Castle, as requested in her will, was left to her daughter, Princess Ileana. After the expulsion of the royal family from Romania in 1948, the Castle became the property of the Romanian State.
On 1 October, 1950, it was declared a historical monument and in 1956 was opened as a museum of history and medieval art.

Last moment NEWS!

Dracula Castle Given Back to Habsburgs!

After more than 60 years after it was seized by communists, the Romanian government has given back The Castle to its owner descendants.The heir of Bran Castle is Dominic van Habsburg an architect who lives in New York. Under the agreement, the owner will not be allowed to make any changes to the castle for the next three years, nor to change the destination - today being a museum, as you could see during our tour!

Hope you enjoyed the visit and you'll be back to visit other wonderful castles, hiden in the Carpathians!

I'll be gladly your guide again.
With friendship,
Anamaria

+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Let's get inside the Castle!
7/18/2006 4:57:35 PM
Hi Anna Maria, Thank you for such an interesting tour! I would love to visit Romania after reading all your interesting articles on the history and architecture of your country. God bless, Dave
+0
James Max

711 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/18/2006 6:53:11 PM

WOW!!

Ana Maria,

When Can We Move In?

With Love From vegas,

max

Free Monetize Adsense Niche Blogs For Affiliate Marketing - http://www.goodnewsforall.com/PLR/AutoIncomeBlog/
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2006 7:01:27 PM
How simply gorgeous ! Thank you, Linda
+0
7/18/2006 9:16:55 PM
Hi AnaMaria :) WOW!! thank you so much for a wonderful Tour!! very beautiful and for sure I will be back to see more wonderful stories!! Peace and Love :)
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!