Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Gary Small

243 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Climate Change Behind Western Wildfires
7/7/2006 1:30:02 PM
By Chris Lombardi, 7-07-06 A research report published by the journal Science this week concludes that an increase in large wildfires in the West is due primarily to climate change. Researchers at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the University of Arizona analyzed 34 years of Western wildfire activity, along with other environmental trends, and found that rising temperatures were the most significant factor in a four-fold increased in the number of large fires since 1970. Fires are more frequent, burn longer, are harder to put out, and the average fire season lasts two months longer, the report found. "I think this is the equivalent for the West of what hurricanes are for the Gulf Coast," said fire ecologist Steven Running at the University of Montana in Missoula, quoted in an Los Angeles Times story. The northern Rockies, host to 60% of fires from 1987 to 2003, have seen the largest impact from climate change, according to the report. You can get a PDF of the full report here. And for a broader survey of climate change in the Rockies, don't miss this story from New West's Todd Wilkinson. It's quite a show in Colorado where lawmakers continue to wrangle in a special legislative session over an immigration bill. In the latest twist, five Senate Democrats have defected from the party line to join Republicans in supporting legislation that would limit services to illegal aliens. "It's a charade, and I'm disturbed when the focus of the legislature has become solely politics and not public policy," Sen. Bob Hagedorn, the bill's sponsor, quoted in the Rocky Mountain News. "We're rushing through to make policy on the fly to satisfy both Republicans' and Democrats' political thirst." Both parties are fighting for control of the state Senate in the upcoming November elections. You'll pay to play this weekend if your plans involve burning gasoline. Crude oil prices are up again, the summer driving season is in full swing, and gas prices are expected to top $3 in many areas of the West. As yet, there's no indication that increased gas prices have affected American driving habits this summer. Are you doing tick-checks after playing outdoors this summer? It might be a good idea. The Idaho Statesman is running a story today on the increase of incidents of Lyme Disease in Idaho and the difficulties faces by those who contract it. It's a good idea to know the symptoms, as many Western doctors are still unfamiliar with the disease, and it can be easily misdiagnosed. The 1999 Columbine High School shootings are back in the news. More than 900 pages of writings and drawings by teenagers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were released today, starting a fresh round of finger pointing and speculation about what could have been done. The documents yield few new insights into the tragedy. The boys were depressed and suicidal, and the shooting was preceded by a long period of planning during which the boys mustered the courage to enact the scheme. Warning signs were plentiful, and they were overlooked. The average price of homes in the Denver area continues to rise even as the stock of unsold homes balloons. The Rocky Mountain News reports that the average price of a single-family home rose to $335,111 in June, $20,000 more than in May. The number of unsold homes rose to 31,900, topping the record set in May.
+0
Gary Small

243 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Hiking With a 6-Year-Old
7/12/2006 9:46:13 PM
By Richard Martin, 7-12-06    Last year on the 4th of July we went up to the great lawn at Chautauqua to watch the fireworks at Folsom Field, and didn't actually see a thing. Along with the other 200 or so people who had the same idea, we discovered that you have to be higher up, above the trees, to be able to see the bombs bursting in air. Not wanting to make that mistake again, we decided to make this year's Independence Day an adventure: we headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a hike and then came down into Estes Park to watch the fireworks over Lake Estes. Since this involved hiking with our six-year-old, it involved a certain amount of risk. Walker is already a seasoned camper and outdoorskid, and, at almost four-and-a-half feet with long legs and his old man's quarter-miler's stride, a champion walker. However, he's just six, and this summer he's been going through an "I don't wanna do that" phase that makes plans of any kind – going to the museum, doing a sleepover, attending a basketball clinic – hit-or-miss affairs. And any parent of a six-year-old will know that attempting a real hike in real wilderness with your child, no matter how well-prepared you think you are, is always chancy. It could be wonderful; it could be miserable; either way it'll be memorable. As it turned out, our hike to Mills Lake was wonderful, one of my favorite hikes in Colorado to date, with or without kids. Mills Lake lies in the southeastern part of the park, in the shadow of Long's Peak. Reached from a parking lot near the Bear Lake trailhead, the trail is one of the most popular in RMNP – but most hikers go only as far as Alberta Falls, a picturesque cascade just .6 of a mile up the trail. As it turns out, about another half-a-mile up, there's an even more dramatic, unnamed fall, which plunges through a narrow crevasse that you have to walk out onto overhanging ledges to see. Once we passed that spot we saw only a few more hikers the whole afternoon. All of the guides to hiking with kids say, "Go their pace." I don't buy it. Walker's pace alternates between bursts of speed and total dawdling that would keep us from getting much of anywhere before dark. My method is to indulge his frequent stops but to urge him gently on, like a sheepherder with a herd of one. Letting him know, often, that we can stop here on the way back down is a good way to keep him from spending 10 minutes over every toadstool and retriever track. The capacity for wonderment is a great thing, but it's my job to guide his sense of awe to the really spectacular sights of the Rockies – to direct his viewpoint upward from the molehills to the mountains, as it were. Winding through groves of spindly aspens and on up to thickets of limber pine, the trail gradually afforded views north, to the Mummy Range, and east to the Lake Estes valley. We passed under the northernmost of the Glacier Knobs, a series of huge outcrops that line the eastern flank of Long's Peak like fenceposts. Then, clearing the treeline, the trail took a sharp bend to the right (northwest, I think, but I wasn't carrying a topo map or a compass -- thus breaking one of the primary rules of dayhiking with kids) and we found ourselves in Glacier Gorge, for which the trail is named. No matter how many times I trek in the high country I am always startled and delighted at how your limited perspective can suddenly open up to vistas that you didn't expect, like stepping from the relatively closed-in trail as it followed Glacier Creek zigzagging up the mountainside into the barren splendor of the primordial V-shaped canyon, strewn with rubble on both steep sides. The evidence of the violence the ice did to this stretch of rock and brush was strong, like witnessing a slow-motion cataclysm. The trail dwindled to a barely discernible track across scree, and I mentioned to Walker that we were likely the first humans to see this place since the Ice Age – an illusion that lasted about 10 minutes, till we encountered a group of teens headed down at a rapid clip. By this time we'd been climbing over an hour, and you might have expected the first whines to start escaping Walker's mouth, but he was as jazzed by the vistas and the sheer grandeur as we adults were, and as we neared our destination – Mills Lake, the first in a series of alpine lakes that dot the gorge – all three of us found new energy. Named for Enos Mills, who lived in a nearby cabin for four decades and was the driving force in establishing Rocky Mountain National Park, Mills Lake is a real lake, not a tiny alpine tarn. The jagged bear's-teeth cliffs above it (poetically named "the Keyboard of the Winds"), the tangled underbrush on each side, the thunderclouds pouring over the ridge into the gorge, gave it a forbidding cast like a scene out of Norse legend. If a woman's arm had emerged from the steel-gray water, brandishing a shining sword, I wouldn't have been particularly surprised. "I want to go farther," Walker kept saying. "Can't we keep going?" But by now it was almost 5:30 and the clouds looked more and more threatening, and after just 10 minutes I said, "We should get out of here." This was our one miscalculation of the day: if you're going to ask a six-year-old to hike almost three miles, with 1000 feet of elevation gain, you need to give him at least an hour to rest and to frolic at lakeside. We made it back down in a little over an hour, and the inevitable tired feet and whining ensued – from Walker as well as me – and Shawna, my wife, ended up carrying him piggyback for part of the last stretch. At the truck we all high-fived and shared an Izze soda, celebrating the longest hike of Walker's young life. For some tips on hiking with kids, you can check Outdoors Places and Backpacking at: http://Backpacking.net/ Beyond sharing your own sense of wonder and being willing to be flexible, my own advice is pretty well limited to "Have a kid who loves to walk, has a sense of adventure plus plenty of stamina, and is not a complainer." Oh yeah, the fireworks: we made it back down to Estes by 8:00, in time to have a truly execrable buffet dinner at the Silverthorne Lodge, and then watched the fireworks from the roof of our vehicle. They were perfectly satisfactory. We then spent an hour trying to get out of Estes on Highway 36. Next time I'll be sure to get a hotel room in town. Like this story?
+0
Gary Small

243 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Wal-Mart Camping - Parking Lot Pleasures
7/13/2006 3:43:00 PM
"Do you know about Wal-Mart camping?" We didn't know, but the old man at the campground in Florida insisted WalMart not only allowed RVs and vans to park overnight, but encouraged it. "Free camping," he told us, and we didn't wait long to take advantage of this new knowledge. Somewhere in northern Georgia we pulled into a Wal-Mart, and sure enough, we saw some RVs off to one side of the parking lot, looking like they were there for the night. We were heading back to Michigan in our conversion van, and free camping sounded good to us. We parked, plugged in our 5-inch T.V., and settled in for the night. Nobody bothered us. In the morning we used the bathrooms inside, and bought some orange juice. The next night we camped for free again, this time at a "Flying J" truckstop. There were RVs camping there as well. You'll find Flying J Truckstops all over, and they actively court the RV crowd, counting on gas and other sales. We filled our tank there in the morning, and bought some food as well. As long as campers stay out of the way of the truckers, free camping is likely to continue. Other Free Camping Places: Generally, you can camp free on any BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land, unless it's specifically forbidden in an area. This is also true of National Forest lands. In both cases you're limited to a stay of two weeks in one place, though this rule is not always enforced, and the next two-week place might have to be only a hundred yards away. State forest lands are usually open to free camping without permits, but policies vary by state (The two-week rule seems to be common). We camped in our van for ten days at Williams Landing, east of Tallahassee, Florida, on Lake Talquin. It's a beautiful place, with hot showers. Our cost? Zero, and you can stay up to two weeks. There are free campgrounds scattered around the country. Ask an RVer about this, or buy a Woodall's directory from any large RV dealer. Note: Wal-mart seems to encourage the campers, except in coastal areas where too many RVer's want to live in a parking lot. Don't roll out the carpet and put out lawn furniture like one traveler we heard about, or you may ruin it for all. Some stay for a week at a time, going out all day to see the sights (and so they don't wear out their welcome). Wal-mart gets business from the campers, but they'll only continue their policy if they don't have problems, so keep it low-key. To find a Wal-Mart in the area you're traveling to, visit Walmart.com. Scroll down to the "store finder" link to search. Thank you for camping at Wal-Mart! About the author: Steve Gillman hit the road at sixteen, and traveled the U.S. and Mexico alone at 17. Now 40, he travels with his wife Ana, whom he met in Ecuador. To read their stories, tips and travel information, visit: http://www.EverythingAboutTravel.com
+0