Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Did you hear all the screaming? (new FTC rule)
6/19/2006 2:39:01 PM
I think that the biggest problem is that they are implementing all of these new rules, without really bothering to get the old rules to either work, or to enforce them. For example, I constantly get emails from people claiming that I signed up to receive information from them, or that I opted into a list. Start shutting down the spam/scam emails such as these, and they would go a long way towards changing people's viewpoints on mlm marketing in general. Granted it is hard to do, but why punish the small business by loading on more red tape that they will now have to deal with? Sincerely, David Rowland
+0
6/19/2006 2:41:48 PM
Hey Tim I grew up in Sask and currently live in Ontario, so I'm well aware of the CA gun registry & that fiasco. When they brought in that nightmare I had a valid FAC (I don't anymore) and protested the regulations. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The more they regulate, the more it becomes a situation where only the criminals have guns. And isn't it the same with business vs scam? The scammers will find a way around any regulations. Or - more to the point - they'll just totally ignore them and rake in the cash from unsuspecting victims until they're caught and shut down. Then they'll hand over their illegal gains and the names of their *victims* who didn't report their illegal income - and start again under a new name. But even in saying that, Mary has a point. How is a person to know what's bogus? Speaking personally - I'd rather GIVE people a cooling down time. It's the people that think long and hard and do some planning that make the real sales anyway. The people who jump in without thinking or checking are the ones who run around like chickens with their head cut off not knowing how to sell their way out of a paper bag anyway, aren't they? Just another Canuck perspective. : ) L
+0
Mark Hodgetts

71 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/19/2006 3:37:37 PM
Hi everybody This is an interesting development, but I'm not sure of its workability. My understanding of iit is that you must give your current experience and success level. Now, imagine if you are a prospective purchaser and the seller says well -I've been involved with this program for three days, I've done my DD, understand the concept and my spsonsor is giving me full instruction about what to do. While it sounds good in principle, I'd be sitting there saying "why should I join under this person - they're new. I'll move on thanks and find somebody experienced - or if I'm an old hand MLMer I'd be saying - hey this product is good - but mine's better blah blah blah! Regulation does not work. Speaking from my POV in the finance industry I can say that regulation hamstrings the honest people and the dishonest people just blatantly ignore it. I'm currently putting an ebook together - one chapter sets out some basic rules re MLM and the simple rule is this - if you have no need for the product - don't buy it. There is some interesting products going arounsd at the moment. Personally, I use several MLM products - one for web hosting, another for the purchase of cheap goods and I don't actively promote them- occassionally when I see a need - I will recommend them and that maintains my integrity and removes the need for hard selling the "forced matrix" from hell or the multiple power legs etc. I haven't the time or inclination to understand that rubbish. If the product is good enough it sells itself, if I have to start promoting the matrix forget it - its probably illegal. Well you did say ramble Linda :-)
+0
Tim
Tim Southernwood

839 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/19/2006 3:43:22 PM
Ramblings or not Mark, You made a lot of sense ;-) T
Tim Southernwood/Get eH² Packs!/BlogNet Awards We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
+0
6/19/2006 4:10:10 PM
Hi Mark; ===== Well you did say ramble Linda ===== lol. Yes, I did. Your ramblings make sense, though. You said; "regulation hamstrings the honest people and the dishonest people just blatantly ignore it." I completely agree. We see that everywhere from crime to... uhhh... more crime. lol But seriously -- there's a valid question here. Maybe "rules" aren't the solution. (when are they? lol) -- but online scams are getting seriously out of hand. So, how's a newbie to know what's the real deal and what's a scam? Ideas? : ) Linda
+0