Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Watercooler Debate
5/13/2006 9:59:24 PM
Hi: ==================== Remember Thomas Edison? Without him we would all be still in the dark. Supposedly, it took him 10,000 attempts to make a working light globe model. What if he gave up? ==================== Very true. It's an example I use often myself. But then again, Edison made 10,000 attempts before he made a working light bulb. What he didn't do was say; ...I'm going to make a light bulb. ...Oh, well that didn't work. ...Okay, well I'm going to make a radio. ...Oy. That didn't work. ...Well then, I think I'll invent the stereo. ...Oops, that flopped. I think I'll.... See? And that's what people often do. They try something and when it doesn't work, they go try something else, and something else and something else again. And nothing ever works for them because they don't put enough time or effort into it to be good at much of anything. And yes.... I totally agree. One can be supportive without joining up. "Hey Ned... sounds cool. You test it out and if it really works, I might give it a shot. But for now, I'll wait to see how YOU do with it." heh heh L
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/13/2006 10:19:04 PM
Linda, Way too funny... ============ "What he didn't do was say; ...I'm going to make a light bulb. ...Oh, well that didn't work. ...Okay, well I'm going to make a radio. ...Oy. That didn't work. ...Well then, I think I'll invent the stereo. ...Oops, that flopped. I think I'll.... ============= I agree. But there are some things that should NEVER have been invented. Like - (c)rap music. Gary
+0
5/13/2006 11:55:13 PM
Hi Guys: 11:36 on a Saturday. I just had the BEST lobster dinner with a friend of mine. She and I ate like kings..er..and queens. Now I'm sitting back with a cold one and ready to pitch my 2 cents in. So here goes. I believe I agree with Linda with the Tough Love thing. I had 1 Ned in my life and I myself was a Ned. It took the heavy hand of a close friend to jar me out of it. I believe that if I had spent my time chasing so-called "opportunities" I would have missed a very real opportunity to go to school and upgrade my skills. I would have missed my opportunity to meet some very good friends, I would have missed the chance to work for Adlandpro. Gary, I think you raise a terrific point with regards to people who are STILL trying. This is important. Perseverance is key. But the problem with the NEDS of the world is that they always seem to fall into the same "opportunity" and we all know what the definition of "insanity" is. Having said that, if Ned tried say opening a brick and mortar business once that flopped but he formlated a solid plan based on his previous failure to make it more successful next time then I believe if he did not try again he would be doing himself a great dis-service. However, if he just decided "Ok, let's try selling dry cleaning this time and see if THAT works". and then after it was antiques, then after that it was bicycles then I think someone needs an "INTERVENTION". There's a very big difference between persistence and...for lack of a better term...stupidity. Granted, given enough time I'm sure that someone WOULD find that one opportunity but in the business the game is not numbers, the game is to achieve success in the shortest period of time so that you have the time to enjoy it. Personally, I would rather plan and slave for a couple of years to achieve success then to just keep looking for that "opportunity" that's going to bring me riches. Honestly, I think people have a greater chance of winning the lottery. I think I have more...but..I'll post a bit later. gotta run! Michael
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/14/2006 2:17:32 AM
Howdy Michael, I have known a few "Neds" in my time. I think the problem is that they use what I call the shotgun approach rather than lasering in on something that they are really and truly passionate about. This is why I am so anti-MLM. MLM junkies chop and change to every new "opportunity" hoping that it will be the one that brings them their fortune. They just keep looking for that ultimate product when it is actually the delivery system that is flawed. Success is all about the passion. Gary
+0