Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Success and Failure
5/12/2006 1:44:49 PM
Those of you who belong to both forums will know that I recently posted the first of a two-part article titled The Lessons of Failure in my other forum, Money101. I debated then whether to post it there or here. The lessons apply to any goal, however I used the goal of becoming debt-free to illustrate (that being most closely related to my business interests). Now that I've completed and posted Part Two, I'm still of two minds, so the solution seems to be to post an invitation here for everyone to read it there. The link above will take you to Part One, where you will also find a link to Part Two. I hope you'll come and visit. If you're already there, be sure to see Part Two. I think I forgot to invite everyone to the new thread. Cheri
+0
Re: Success and Failure
5/12/2006 2:37:26 PM
Hi Cheri; Nice! I like the use of 'trial and correction' as opposed to trial and error. While the lessons do apply to any goal, I think that most people could stand to apply them to money and debt. Most people spend more time planning dinner and following a recipe than they spend planning their future or following a "recipe" to achieve their goals. And really- most people that are trying to make something work online are doing so why? Because they could use the extra cash. Learning how to manage it seems to be a logical thing for them to also learn. : ) Linda
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/12/2006 3:07:36 PM
Hi, Linda Thanks for your appearance here and your comments. You often post something in your forums related to the fact that much of the information floating around the internet about how to make money on the internet is being promoted by people who have never actually done so. By the same token, there's a tremendous amount of information on the internet about financial planning that's either premature for many people or downright bad advice. I believe that as you start planning your future, your first job is to take care of the present. That's why I talk so much about getting out of debt. Despite the fact that almost everyone will tell you they aren't in debt, over 90 million Americans can't pay off their credit cards monthly and 30 million can only make the minimum payment. I don't have statistics for Canada or other countries, but I don't think Americans are the only ones who have these issues. I know from experience that it isn't any easier to wean yourself from living on credit than to break any other addictive behavior. Logic doesn't help, unfortunately. What did help, for me at least, was to change my whole attitude about success and failure. I'm hoping it will help others, too. Cheri
+0
5/12/2006 3:31:29 PM
Hi Cheri; ========== You often post something in your forums related to the fact that much of the information floating around the internet about how to make money on the internet is being promoted by people who have never actually done so. By the same token, there's a tremendous amount of information on the internet about financial planning that's either premature for many people or downright bad advice. ========== Indeed, you're very right! What strikes me as sad is that the same thing exists in nearly every market that's online. The IMDB (Internet Movie Database) has a warning for budding actors and actresses on their site. It says to beware of people selling "how to get into acting" and how to "get found" materials being sold online. They go on to say that if these people's *secrets* worked, they'd so busy ACTING in movies that they wouldn't have time to hawk ebooks. lol ========== Despite the fact that almost everyone will tell you they aren't in debt, over 90 million Americans can't pay off their credit cards monthly and 30 million can only make the minimum payment. I don't have statistics for Canada or other countries, but I don't think Americans are the only ones who have these issues. I know from experience that it isn't any easier to wean yourself from living on credit than to break any other addictive behavior. ========== It's the same everywhere. Canada, USA, Australia, UK, etc. We're a generation that grew up with credit. One thing I see a lot of, too, is that money "burns a hole" in most people's pockets. The minute they get a little extra, they *have to* spend it. That applies whether it's cash OR credit. I like the approach you use. I can hardly wait until you have time to finish that Money Tips book. Between you and Leo (another client who's a financial educator) I think I will have some great materials to promote along with my business goodies. : ) Linda
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/12/2006 4:01:03 PM
Linda, As you and Gary have pointed out to me, I have all the time in the world. It's just a matter of how I allocate it. Selfishly, I'm allocating it largely to launching my new and improved real estate agency so that I can free my husband from his 8 to 5 J-O-B (Jump Off Bridge has become the appropriate meaning of the acronym for him, I'm afraid). Now you've given me an incentive to move that other matter a little higher on the priority list, lol. Cheri
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!