Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
How Do I Produce an Ebook?
3/6/2006 7:30:06 PM
Linda, I hope it's ok if I post a question as a new thread rather than in our test project thread. I thought it might be of more general interest, and I don't think you're covering it in the course we're testing. Correct me if I'm wrong. When we talked about the ebook I want to do, I thought I had an idea how to put it together, but now I'm not sure. I've seen a couple that seem to be along the same general subject line as the one I'm planning, so I wonder if there's room for one more. Also, I don't have a clear idea how to approach the people I already know I want to feature, how to find others, and how to vet the responders to make sure I'm getting people who genuinely fit the profile and can really provide value to my readers. I guess I need an ebook business plan, lol. Do you know where I can find one? Even better, have you written an article or an ebook about producing an ebook? I'll buy it...just tell me where to find it. If you don't know of a good one and haven't written one, can you do that real quick in your spare time, lol? Cheri
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: How Do I Produce an Ebook?
3/6/2006 8:05:24 PM
Hi Cheri, First,you're asking the RIGHT person. Linda did all my e-books and the associated covers. I was very impressed. Naturally you have to provide the content but Linda's creative mind will pull it all together and select an appropriate cover design. I have sold my e-books into many countries. My freebie e-books are all over the world now. Gary Simpson
+0
3/6/2006 9:47:34 PM
Hi Cheri! ========================================= I hope it's ok if I post a question as a new thread rather than in our test project thread. I thought it might be of more general interest, and I don't think you're covering it in the course we're testing. Correct me if I'm wrong. ========================================= Of course it's okay. And you're right, it's not in the course itself, although I am working on a "side" book to the course. (more on that, below) But you're right that it may be of general interest to others that aren't in the test group. : ) ========================================= When we talked about the ebook I want to do, I thought I had an idea how to put it together, but now I'm not sure. I've seen a couple that seem to be along the same general subject line as the one I'm planning, so I wonder if there's room for one more. ========================================= There sure is room for more. Have you ever noticed that McDonald's and Burger King always open stores close to each other? The theory is that "people are buying fast food here - I should be here, too." Same concept. Market saturation is more myth than reality because people and companies come and go all the time. Competition is what keeps some folks in business while putting others out of business. With a good product and good marketing, others are the ones that have to worry, not you. ========================================= Also, I don't have a clear idea how to approach the people I already know I want to feature, how to find others, and how to vet the responders to make sure I'm getting people who genuinely fit the profile and can really provide value to my readers. ========================================= What I'd do is start with the people you know you want to include. Contact them personally and explain what you're doing. Speaking from experience, you'll need to heavily guide them regarding what you're looking for, because most people tend to get off track easily. For example, ask 20 people how they got into online business and you'll hear life stories going back into their childhood. lol. I don't say that to be insulting... but it happens. LOTS. lol The biggest mistake contributing writes make is forgetting that they're telling a story TO the reader, not just talking 'about' themselves. Making the suggestion that they write their piece as they they are telling it "to" the reader often helps. Let them know that you'll be editing the contributions if/when needed, but that they will get final approval before you put anything out since it's their piece. The next thing I'd do is ask each of those people if they know anyone else that would be a good person to call. I bet lots of them will. It's that "birds of a feather" thing. When you get suggestions and referrals, check them out thoroughly before you make contact. Go through their site, and read their newsletter if they have one. That way, you won't end up having to figure out how to withdraw an offer. After that, then you can see if you need to go more public to find contributors. My guess is you won't have to. ========================================= I guess I need an ebook business plan, lol. Do you know where I can find one? Even better, have you written an article or an ebook about producing an ebook? I'll buy it...just tell me where to find it. If you don't know of a good one and haven't written one, can you do that real quick in your spare time, lol? ========================================= LOL. Spare time? LOL. I'm working on making more of that. Joking aside, I have been working on an ebook about creating an ebook. It's not part of the course itself, but I want to put out a few "side" books for indirectly related web issues. Things like creating ebooks, using a graphics program, etc. Things that not "everyone" needs to know to succeed online, but that address issues some people may need help with. The biggest mistake people make is creating ebooks that look tacky and amateur. They go wild with Microsoft clipart and Microsoft word art and drop shadows and boxes and all the colors that are possible to use. Many of them fall into the "just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD" category. Incidentally, I should also mention that Microsoft clipart is only for "personal" use and they do specify that it may not be used in materials that will be sold. I dont' suspect that creating anything that looks tacky would be a problem for you. That's just not your style from what I've seen. : ) The best advice I give people is to thumb through a half dozen professionally published books. Look how they are formatted. Nice and neat. Then replicate that style when writing your book in Word. You can even use Word's headers and footers to add page numbers that enter themselves automatically and a title/author byline at the top. Word can then be compiled as a PDF file, which is compatible with all systems, and both MAC and PC. Other ebook creation programs that create .exe files aren't compatible with all systems. Also, I don't recommend using any of those programs that 'lock' your ebook because adware and antivirus programs may identify them as 'data miners' or 'spyware' because they have to access the internet to check the registration. The last thing anyone needs today is customers howling that your ebook is spyware. Yikes. Sorry that was so long. lol Did that help? Feel welcome to ask anything that I missed, or that comes to mind. : )
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/6/2006 11:06:31 PM
Linda Whoa, I'll have to take that one bite at a time, lol. OK, to recap, first step is to get really clear about what I want in my ebook, then identify a few people I think would fit. Step two is to contact each one and ask if they want to contribute, explain what I want, tell them I'll edit if necessary. Do I talk to them at this point about the JV aspect, or will they all just expect it? If so, won't they want to know what they'll make per unit? How does one price an ebook? I'll be getting clear while I wait for the answers to those two questions. This is kind of like final exams in college. I didn't actually believe the day would get there until it did. Then I wished I had prepared sooner, lol. When I get that step done, I'll come back to the rest. Cheri PS, Gary, thanks for your endorsement of Linda. It's always good to get an unbiased testimonial, lol.
+0
3/6/2006 11:54:42 PM
Hi Cheri; ========================================== Step two is to contact each one and ask if they want to contribute, explain what I want, tell them I'll edit if necessary. Do I talk to them at this point about the JV aspect, or will they all just expect it? If so, won't they want to know what they'll make per unit? How does one price an ebook? ========================================== Here's what I suggest. Plan the communications to span several short emails. Most people make the mistake of putting everything into one long "jv" email that reads more like a book. It's too much to digest at once so most people hit delete. For example, send a short one that says "Hi Sally; I'd like to feature you in a book about successful women on the Internet. It won't take much of your time, and I know other women will be so inspired by you. Would you be interested in more info? Sincerely, Cheri www.never2late4success.com P.S. I really liked the article about "--" in your last newsletter. That's really rough and just off the top of my head. Point being, it does a couple of things. Asks if she's interested, and leaves her with a smile knowing you read her newsletter. And curiosity usually motivates. She'll probably write back and say 'sure, send the info over.' Then you know she'll read it. In the next one, you give her info... and you tell her that if she'd be interested in promoting the book once she's seen the finished copy, you'd be happy to do a profit share. Again, ask if she'd be interested in that info. Most people who have reached some level of success online get bombed with email. I vary from 20-50 day (depending on whether I've been featured/published anywhere that week)and they're not spam. So, by keeping the emails short, people are more likely to read them instead of "saving" them for when they have more time. I know... I'm a fine one to talk... lol As for pricing - have a look around to see what competitive or same genre ebooks are going for. If most people sell "that type" of book for $29 and you price yours at $20, people will assume it's not as good. I won't get into subconscious parallel assumptions. lol Linda
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!