Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Facebook Ads Target 'Jew Haters' After Brand Safety Reassurances
9/16/2017 12:59:47 PM

Facebook Ads Target 'Jew Haters' After Brand Safety Reassurances

Just a day after widespread news of Facebook’s brand safety efforts comes this ProPublica headline on Thursday: “Facebook Enabled Advertisers to Reach ‘Jew Haters.’”

Full disclosure: I’m Jewish.

So are Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook co-founder and CEO; Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook COO; and doubtless many others at the social media giant.

I have little doubt that company leaders find the fact that advertisers could easily target anti-Semites on the platform repugnant. The fact is, they could. And that means Facebook’s announcement on Wednesday that it would hire “an additional 3,000 content reviewers, nearly doubling our existing team,” according to Carolyn Everson, VP Global Marketing Solutions, Facebook — needs to happen immediately.

Related story: Sex, Guns, Babies for Sale on Facebook

I’m not just saying this because this time, they came for the Jews.

It’s because this isn’t even close to Facebook’s first issue with its machine-driven advertising fiascos. The platform not only allows in hate speech, but it’s gotten the basics — marketing metrics — so wrong that top American advertiser Procter and Gamble pulled back on marketing for awhile. (See “Racism on Facebook — What Year Is This?” and “Facebook Caves, Allows Ad Metrics Oversight.”)

That said, here’s what’s going on, and what Facebook said the day before it was doing to prevent this kind of thing.

How Facebook Advertisers Could Target ‘Jew Haters’ http://www.targetmarketingmag.com/article/facebook-ads-target-jew-haters-after-brand-safety-nod/#ne=c103a3e8270841a9485c74c6f8e626e9utm_source=today-%40-target-marketingutm_medium=newsletterutm_campaign=2017-09-16&utm_content=facebook+ads+target+%27jew+haters%27+after+brand+safety+reassurances-2

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+0
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Sex, Guns, Babies for Sale on Facebook
9/16/2017 1:03:00 PM