Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Martin Luther King, April, 1944 ~ first PUBLIC Oration @ First African Baptist
5/22/2016 3:07:25 AM

First African Baptist Church

First African Baptist Church
In this church, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., made his first political speech in 1944.

Martin Luther King, April, 1944

Martin Luther King, April, 1944

First African Baptist Church was established in 1867 and is the oldest African American church in the City of Dublin.

Capture a glimpse into the child that became a legend of the Civil Rights movement. On April 17, 1944, the Colored Elks Clubs of Georgia held their state convention at First African Baptist Church in Dublin and sponsored an essay contest. A 14-year-old student at Booker T. Washington High School delivered a speech entitled "The Negro and the Constitution." Little did the audience realize they were witnessing the first public speech by Dr. Martin L. King, Jr., and the start of the Civil Rights Movement.

On the return trip to Atlanta, Martin L. King was asked to relinquish his bus seat and stand in the rear of the bus with his teacher. King initially refused the demand, but was later convinced to give up his seat.

Today, the church hosts an annual oratorical contest to honor Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. and to continue his legacy of peaceable activism and leadership.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[May 1944]
“The Negro and the Constitution”

On 13 April 1944, in his junior year at Atlanta's Booker T. Washington High School, King, Jr., won an oratorical contest sponsored by the black Elks. With the runner-up at Washington High, Hiram Kendall, he won the right to represent the school at the statewide contest held at First Baptist Church in Dublin, Georgia. Kendall was a runner-up at the state contest. The theme of both contests was "The Negro and the Constitution." According to later accounts, during the bus trip to the contest, King and his teacher, Sarah Grace Bradley, were told by the driver to surrender their seats to newly boarding white passengers. King resisted at first, but his teacher finally persuaded him to leave his seat. They stood for several hours during the bus ride to Atlanta.

King's oration was published in May 1944 at the end of his junior, and final, year at Washington High in the school annual, The Cornellian. More polished than other pieces that King wrote as a teenager, the essay probably benefited from adult editing and from King's awareness of similar orations. Citing the experiences of the black opera singer Marian Anderson as an example, the oration outlines the contradictions between the nation's biblical faith and constitutional values and the continuing problem of racial discrimination. But the conclusion is marked by a hopeful rhetorical flourish: "My heart throbs anew in the hope that inspired by the example of Lincoln, imbued with the spirit of Christ, [America] will cast down the last barrier to perfect freedom," said the young King. "And I with my brother of blackest hue possessing at last my rightful heritage and holding my head erect, may stand beside the Saxon--a Negro--and yet a man!"

Negroes were first brought to America in 1620 when England legalized slavery both in England and the colonies and America; the institution grew and thrived for about 150 years upon the backs of these black men. The empire of King Cotton was built and the southland maintained a status of life and hospitality distinctly its own and not anywhere else.

On January 1, 1863 the proclamation emancipating the slaves which had been decreed by President Lincoln in September took effect--millions of Negroes faced a rising sun of a new day begun. Did they have habits of thrift or principles of honesty and integrity? Only a few! For their teachings and duties had been but two activities--love of Master, right or wrong, good or bad, and loyalty to work. What was to be the place for such men in the reconstruction of the south?

America gave its full pledge of freedom seventy-five years ago. Slavery has been a strange paradox in a nation founded on the principles that all men are created free and equal. Finally after tumult and war, the nation in 1865 took a new stand--freedom for all people. The new order was backed by amendments to the national constitution making it the fundamental law that thenceforth there should be no discrimination anywhere in the "land of the free" on account of race, color or previous condition of servitude.

Black America still wears chains. The finest Negro is at the mercy of the meanest white man. Even winners of our highest honors face the class color bar. Look at a few of the paradoxes that mark daily life in America. Marian Anderson was barred from singing in the Constitution Hall, ironically enough, by the professional daughters of the very men who founded this nation for liberty and equality. But this tale had a different ending. The nation rose in protest, and gave a stunning rebuke to the Daughters of the American Revolution and a tremendous ovation to the artist, Marian Anderson, who sang in Washington on Easter Sunday and fittingly, before the Lincoln Memorial. Ranking cabinet members and a justice of the supreme court were seated about her. Seventy-five thousand people stood patiently for hours to hear a great artist at a historic moment. She sang as never before with tears in her eyes. When the words of "America" and "Nobody Knows De Trouble I Seen" rang out over that great gathering, there was a hush on thee sea of uplifted faces, black and white, and a new baptism of liberty, equality and fraternity. That was a touching tribute, but Miss Anderson may not as yet spend the night in any good hotel in America. Recently she was again signally honored by being given the Bok reward as the most distinguished resident of Philadelphia. Yet she cannot be served in many of the public restaurants of her home city, eveen after it has declared her to be its best citizen.

So, with their right hand they raise to high places the great who have dark skins, and with their left, they slap us down to keep us in "our places." "Yes, America you have stripped me of my garments, you have robbed me of my precious endowment."

We cannot have an enlightened democracy with one great group living in ignorance. We cannot have a healthy nation with one tenth of the people ill-nourished, sick, harboring germs of disease which recognize no color lines--obey no Jim Crow laws. We cannot have a nation orderly and sound with one group so ground down and thwarted that it is almost forced into unsocial attitudes and crime. We cannot be truly Christian people so long as we flaunt the central teachings of Jesus: brotherly love and the Golden Rule. We cannot come to full prosperity with one great group so ill-delayed that it cannot buy goods. So as we gird ourselves to defend democracy from foreign attack, let us see to it that increasingly at home we give fair play and free opportunity for all people.

Today thirteen million black sons and daughters of our forefathers continue the fight for the translation of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments from writing on the printed page to an actuality. We believe with them that "if freedom is good for any it is good for all," that we may conquer southern armies by the sword, but it is another thing to conquer southern hate, that if the franchise is given to Negroes, they will be vigilant and defend even with their arms, the ark of federal liberty from treason and destruction by her enemies.
The spirit of Lincoln still lives; that spirit born of the teachings of the Nazarene, who promised mercy to the merciful, who lifted the lowly, strengthened the weak, ate with publicans, and made the captives free. In the light of this divine example, the doctrines of demagogues shiver in their chaff. Already closer understanding links Saxon and Freedman in mutual sympathy.

America experiences a new birth of freedom in her sons and daughters; she incarnates the spirit of her martyred chief. Their loyalty is repledged; their devotion renewed to the work He left unfinished. My heart throbs anew in the hope that inspired by the example of Lincoln, imbued with the spirit of Christ, they will cast down the last barrier to perfect freedom. And I with my brother of blackest hue possessing at last my rightful heritage and holding my head erect, may stand beside the Saxon--a Negro--and yet a man!

+0
Lil Chris aka Junior
1/25/2017 12:06:05 PM
This is my nephew, he graduated from high school in 2016 and is now active military.

This is a video he posted back in middle school

His father, (Christopher Johnson) founder of
Oconee Community Mentoring Association

also has a "Dream Team" association
OCMA Dream Team

Lil Chris 1st in front row

Picture
Click photo in the following blog post
for WSB-TV Community "People 2 People"

+0
RE: THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK ~ The Largest Country Bank in Georgia
6/30/2017 2:16:19 AM
Dublin,
Dublin was a Main Street Community of the Georgia Department of Community Affairs in 2003.

Dublin the seat of Laurens County in central Georgia, was incorporated by an act of the state legislature on December 9, 1812. Jonathan Sawyer, a merchant and the first postmaster of Dublin, named the town in honor of his wife's ancestral home of Dublin, Ireland. The town nearly faded into obscurity, while the plantations across the northern half of the county thrived. The city was reincorporated in 1893 under its present system of government.

Dublin, located near the upper end of the navigable portion of the Oconee River, was a fairly important inland river port in the years following the Civil War. The lawlessness of uncontrolled liquor consumption and the lack of a bridge over the river or any rail facilities stifled the development of the city. The completion of the Wrightsville and Tennille Railroad in 1886, followed by its acquisition of the Oconee and Western Railroad and the construction of the first permanent river bridge, propelled the struggling hamlet into a period of sustained rapid growth that did not cease until World War I (1917-18). Dublin's boosters claimed their city was "the only city in Georgia that's doublin' all the time."

By 1910 Dublin had become one of the largest cities in Georgia, partly because of its central location as a trading center with five railroads running into the city. The Colored

Methodist Episcopal
Church (later Christian Methodist Episcopal Church) established the Harriet Holsey Industrial School for African American students in eastern Dublin in 1909. In 1913 the First National Bank of Dublin erected its six-story building, the tallest between Macon and Savannah. The Dublin Guards, established in 1890, were designated Company A of the Georgia National Guard in 1919 and are credited with being the oldest National Guard unit in the Southeast.

The coming of the boll weevil in the years between the world wars nearly destroyed the cotton industry and, by extension, the economy of the city. During hard times, the citizens of Dublin turned to entertainment to escape their troubles. Major league teams played exhibition games on the local fairgrounds field. During World War II (1941-45), Dublin and Laurens County furnished many servicemen to the war effort. In 1943 the U.S. government established a camp on the old fairgrounds to house German and Italian prisoners of war, who worked on farms during the crop season.

As a teenager Martin Luther King Jr. made his first public speech at the First African Baptist Church in Dublin in 1944 in a contest sponsored by the Black Elks Clubs. In 1945 the navy opened a hospital for the study of rheumatic fever and for long-term care for naval personnel. The hospital was later renamed in honor of Congressman Carl Vinson, who was responsible for the location of the hospital in Dublin.

During the 1950s Dublin experienced the beginning of a half-century of moderate and continuous growth. The city's economy shifted from agricultural support to a mixture of industrial, medical, and professional sectors. Dublin's baseball teams,

the Green Sox and the Orioles, were leading teams in the Class D minor leagues. In 1958 the Orioles were led by player-manager Earl Weaver, who went on to manage in the major leagues and was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The construction of Interstate 16 just south of the city further strengthened the city's economic growth.
The St. Patrick's Day Festival, established in 1966, is one of the longest-running festivals of Irish heritage in the world. The Dublin Center and Heart of Georgia Technical College (later Oconee Fall Line Technical College) were established to allow local students to obtain a postsecondary education without leaving home. In 2000 Dublin's population was 15,857.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Founder, my sibling ... Chris Johnson
+0
RE: THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK ~ #OCMA_Dublin_GA
6/30/2017 2:19:31 AM
My sibling, Chris Johnson (Army Veteran) Founder of OCMA

Picture
+0