Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Chili
9/20/2015 9:19:28 AM
Hello, what are some good spices to put in chili. Looking for something new!!!!
There is no reason to pay a full-time employee if you can hire someone for the time you need them. Outsourcing your content is a solution for your business to save money and complete other projects and tasks in the workforce without having full-time employees do the work.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Chili
9/20/2015 3:57:50 PM
Hello Meri,

Chili is one of those foods where people are so fiercely opinionated about what makes a good chili and what constitutes a really bad chili that many folks don't even try. It's a shame, really, when you consider how it can be quite simple at its core, but the debate about whether a true chili should have beans or not is one that catches me up each time I think to try a new recipe.

That being said, when you're ready to add a little heat or depth of flavor to your next pot of chili, here are a few add-ins I've discovered:

Cocoa: Unsweetened cocoa, often found in rich mole sauces, is an easy choice. It's a quick addition that will deepen the flavor if used judiciously. Start by adding 1-2 tablespoons, taste and adjust from there.

Espresso: Much like cocoa, espresso brings a rich, earthy depth of flavor to what could be an otherwise ho-hum chili. Use them both together and simmer the chili for longer than you may be inclined and you'll be left with unforgettable, dark yet mellow flavors.

Peppers: For many people, chili isn't chili without some heat. To add some, experiment with dried ancho peppers or chipotle peppers (often sold in adobo). If you'd like to add flavor without much heat, anaheim peppers are wonderful.

Anchovy filets : At first an odd choice, simmering your chili with a few anchovy filets adds a very subtle saltiness that wakes up beans and tomatoes and brightens the flavor of the chili on the whole.

Add More Spice! While cumin, chile powder and cayenne pepper tend to be common additions to many chili recipes, there's a broad world of flavor out there to experiment with. Try a little fenugreek, turmeric, garam masala, or sumac to layer in more complex flavors. Smoky paprika is a personal favorite of mine.

Squash, Pumpkin or Sweet Potato: Many traditionalists would scoff, but soft chunks of slightly sweet butternut squash or sweet potato are delicious in a smoky chili.

Beer: Pouring in a few glugs of beer to a slow-cooking chili can be a nice way to add a warm, maltiness without ultimately adding much liquid (much of the beer will cook off/cook down).

Balsamic Vinegar: Looking for a sweet edginess to pair with some of those spicy chiles? Look no further than a tablespoon or so of this classic vinegar.

And finally,

Fresh Herbs: Chopped cilantro is a common topping for chili, but I love chopped Italian parsley as well. The flavor is mild, it adds instant color and is a great way to wake up days-old leftover chili with a little something fresh.

Hope this gives you some ideas my friend. Meanwhile, here's a Quick 5-Ingredient Chili that you might like to try this week.

Weeknight 5-Ingredient Chili

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 large white onion, diced
1/4 cup water
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 15-ounce cans beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

In a Dutch oven or large pot, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until the beef is browned, about 7-8 minutes. Stir every now and then to help crumble up the meat.

Drain the meat mixture and return to pan. Add the chili powder and stir well.

Add the beans, water and diced tomatoes to the pot and bring to a slow boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low; simmer for 20 minutes. Then uncover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Ladle chili into bowls and serve hot. Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro or chopped green onion - or anything else that makes you happy. Serves 8.

Chili will keep refrigerated for a good 5-6 days. After that, freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.

Have A Great Week Ahead My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!