Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Worm Bins and Growing Worms
12/16/2013 2:43:52 AM
Recently, we bought a worm bin and 5,000 red wiggler composting worms.

I have to say that I'm kinda disappointed in the worm bin, the entire bin is not as well built or sturdy as I thought it would be from the pictures, and descriptions.

And I'm severly disappointed in the red wigglers. When we had a worm bin setup years ago, we had red wigglers that were 6 inches long on average. The red wigglers that they are selling now only get to about 3 inches long.

Can't sell a 3 inch long worm to the fishermen and women around here. So I went to Walmart and bought some of the fishing worms that they sell there, to boost my worm bin a bit.

The ones at Walmart are called African Nightcrawlers, and get over 8 inches in length. While they don't reproduce as fast as the red wigglers, they do eat more, and can be sold as fish bait once the population is big enough.

I will also put them in the raised beds once my population of them expands a good bit.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Worm Bins and Growing Worms
12/16/2013 5:19:17 AM

I had never heard of a worm bin before today and that's a fact!
I hope your worms live a good life and get huge for all the fishermen and women out there..on a more serious note I though that I would try to see the difference between a red wiggler and African nightcrawlers
red wiggler

African Nightcrawler

I never thought there would be a real difference between worms...boy was I wrong!!

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/16/2013 5:35:40 AM
David,
You are amazing. I like Diane never heard of worm bins. Just keep that good information coming.
I appreciate all the info you are willing to give.

P.S. got my garden cards yesterday. Looking forward to getting into them.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/16/2013 5:43:09 AM
There are dozens of varieties of worms. There is one that gets up to 2 ft long in South America, if I remember correctly that is a staple food for the natives there.

The red wiggler in the picture you posted gets about 3 inches long. The picture makes it look much larger than it is. It is an excellent composting worm, but not much good for fishing due to it's small size.

The African Nightcrawler can get over 8 inches long, and is excellent for composting and fishing.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+1
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/16/2013 5:45:46 AM
Worm bins, depending on the design, can be used indoors or outdoors. You can buy smaller ones to go in or close to your kitchen, and put some kitchen scraps in them every week.

The worms eat the scraps, and produce worm droppings, which are an excellent fertilizer, and also worm casting tea, which is excellent fertilizer.

Do some research on it. There are dozens of books on raising worms and using their castings for fertilizer. You can google a lot of information, and also find info on youtube.

Glad you got your cards in. Enjoy learning more about gardening with them.
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!