Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Handcrafted (Handmade) vs Hand Assembled
11/27/2013 11:59:46 PM
Many people have asked me why I charge the prices I do for my handcrafted jewelry, versus what handcrafted jewelry from China, Korea, and other countries cost.

So, let me explain the differences.

The "handcrafted" jewelry made in these countries is not actually handcrafted. It is hand assembled. What is the difference?

Handcrafted means that the person making the item hand crafts each part, as far as possible, and then assembles it together. I don't make the cabochons I use yet, but many of the ones that I do use were made by an individual. That means that they made the mold, poured the resin, etc...

I do tumble and polish some of the stones that I use to make jewelry, but not completely on my end. Again, there is an artisan that I buy stones from, that cuts the stones, polishes and shapes them etc.... by hand, using the appropriate machines. It's not computer controlled.

A lot of these companies from China, Korea, etc.... make ALL of the parts by machine, then someone assembles the pieces by hand. So they are NOT truly handcrafted, or handmade, but rather, hand assembled, at sweat shops and child labor shops.

Whenever I can do so, I buy from other artisans who make the beads, cut and polish the stones, make the ear wires, etc... themselves. I do not advocate sweat shops, or child labor shops, and would rather help a fellow artisan out than buy supplies made under immoral conditions.

Now, as for the prices, there are several things to consider.

The first factor is that this is handcrafted. It is how I, and the artisans I buy my supplies from, make our living in a lot of cases.

So, you have the cost of the materials and supplies. There is also the cost of the tools.

Then you have labor that can include designing the piece, figuring out how much material it takes, which often includes making that piece using practice material. How much do you think someone's labor should be worth?
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+1
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Handcrafted (Handmade) vs Hand Assembled
11/28/2013 12:38:43 AM
Not sure I would even know how to go about answering worth..what I do know is that when you buy something that is "local" or something that a person put themselves into and something that is unique..its hard ( at least for me) to come up with prices.

I have bought 6 items from you and I have had a chance to really look at them..each one is different, unique and to me one of a kind that you cant buy in a store, that gives them more value.

Not the best answer..but the only one I can give
+1
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/28/2013 1:09:49 AM
That is a pretty good answer Diane. The things that have to be considered are:

The cost of materials, including having that material shipped to you, taxes, etc...
The cost of labor (how much do you pay yourself) which is going to vary a bit from person to person
The complexity of the piece
Shipping and handling, which includes the cost of the envelope or box to ship it in
Insurance in case the piece gets lost in the mail
Tracking, where available.

Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/28/2013 2:13:13 AM
good points and ones I would not have considered..I guess there is another point to factor in and that is customer services..it takes time to talk to the customer
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!