Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

2930 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Salad in a Jar (a brilliant idea!)
8/8/2013 3:21:36 PM

How brilliant this is! Not only does "Salad in a Jar" save space in your fridge, it also reduces food waste and gets non-salad eaters to chow down daily. You can make any arrangement you want. For example, you can add red onion, cucumbers, radishes, peppers or shredded cheese. Always remember to put the dressing (and cheese if used) at the bottom and the lettuce at the top - a MUST. As long as the dressing does not touch the greens this will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week!

http://www.tbyil.com/Salad_in_a_Jar.htm

For more delicious and healthy recipes, please visit:

http://www.tbyil.com/healthy_recipes.htm

Nerium AD, breakthrough in skin care http://www.nerium.com/default.aspx?ID=luellamay The Best Years in Life, a website for those who want to live healthy and happy lives http://www.tbyil.com
+3
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Salad in a Jar (a brilliant idea!)
8/9/2013 11:21:13 PM

Hi Luella,

This sounds like a terrific idea. I could fix my Sister's Lunch the night before without any mess and fuss.

Reminds me of the Salad Shakers that McDonalds used to have locally. A good Friend of mine lost a tremendous amount of weight with the Salad Shakers a few years back. He would eat a healthy breakfast every day and then have a salad for lunch and supper with fat- free dressing.

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+2
Luella May

2930 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
8/10/2013 7:50:57 PM
Nifty eh?

But.......... Fat Free Salad Dressing............ Baaaaaaaaaad. You're better off eating the regular salad dressing and this is because "Fat Free" anything contains aspartame and MSG. Paves the way to health problems, some serious ones. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and Vinegar are good toppings, or you can make your own healthy salad dressings. You can google the net to find good recipes. Here is one particular site that I like.

Hugs,
Luella
Nerium AD, breakthrough in skin care http://www.nerium.com/default.aspx?ID=luellamay The Best Years in Life, a website for those who want to live healthy and happy lives http://www.tbyil.com
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/11/2013 1:29:45 AM

Hi Luella,

I agree entirely. I said he lost a lot of weight, and he did, but he also gained it back a short while later. HE DIDN'T CHANGING HIS EATING HABITS. Losing weight is a Lifestyle Choice and everyone who wants to lose and keep it off, must make a commitment.

I appreciate the link and I'll check out the recipes as soon as I can. I prefer my own homemade Greek Dressing and I make it up regularly. This recipe makes almost a gallon and it can be scaled down easily. However, since it can be used for picnics and travels very well and since it doesn't need to be refrigerated, I prefer to make it up and whatever I don't personally use, I buy Carafes in Bulk to bottle it from Webstaurants.com and give them to my Friends that I know like it as well. This is the best dressing I have ever tasted and people offer to buy it constantly, but it's not for sale.

Greek Dressing

1 1/2 quarts olive oil
1/3 cup garlic powder
1/3 cup dried oregano
1/3 cup dried basil
1/4 cup pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
2 quarts red wine vinegar

Directions:

In a very large container, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder, and Dijon-style mustard. Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well blended. Store tightly covered at room temperature. Makes 120 Servings.

Calories: 104, Total Fat: 10.8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Total Carbs: 2.1g

Have A Great Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+2
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/20/2013 8:18:12 PM

Hi Luella,

I love this idea of the salad in a jar, since you can layer whatever ingredients you like, starting with the toppings first and then finishing with the lettuce. Starting with the toppings that hold the most liquid working up to the dryer ingredients. Now here's where the genius comes in, for me at least, when you get ready to eat simply unscrew the lid, place a plate or bowl over the top of the jar, turn over and viola, your salad comes out with your lettuce on the bottom and all the toppings on top! How neat is that? Just add a little bag of croutons, and I like a bag of bacon bits, and then top it off with a little container of dressing and I'm all set.

This is a great, make ahead lunch that can be assembled in a matter of minutes. I was able to make five days worth of lunches in about 10 minutes. Since my Sister and my Nephew are always on the go, you really can't beat that. Pair this salad with a container of yogurt and maybe some granola and you've got a healthy and satisfying lunch that is perfectly portable!

Cobb Salad In A Jar

Ingredients:

2 Medium (1 large) tomato
1 Medium cucumber
1 1/2 Slices of honey ham, thickly sliced
1 1/2 Slices of roasted turkey, thickly sliced
3/4 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 Hard boiled eggs
1 (5oz ) Bag lettuce (I used the spring mix)
5 (8oz) glass jars

Directions:

Remove seeds from tomatoes and finely chop. Set aside. Finely chop cucumber, set aside. Cut ham and turkey in bite sized pieces, set aside. Slice eggs, set aside.

To assemble-

Place about two and half tablespoons of chopped tomatoes in the bottom of the jar, followed by two and a half tablespoons of cucumbers. Next, place chopped ham and turkey on the cucumbers, then about two to two and a half tablespoons of shredded cheese. Top cheese with three to four slices of eggs. Gently press the ingredients down, and top with 1/3-1/2 cup of packed lettuce. Place lids on each jar, seal and place in the refrigerator.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

Mason jar recipes are such a fun idea for gifts. Cobb Salad in a Jar can be just that - a deliciously layered salad for on-the-go eating or a fantastic gift idea or party favor.

Read more at http://www.favehealthyrecipes.com/Salad/Cobb-Salad-in-a-Jar#kAkdr5TVuThJKAUB.99
+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!