Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
The ph of your soil, what is it, and how do you change it?
4/12/2013 5:54:36 PM
The soil ph is very important for your plants. Most good garden soil will have a ph balance of around 7.0

However, there are some plants that like a more acidic soil, and some that like a more alkaline soil.

What you use to compost, fertilize, and mulch with can change the ph of the soil drastically if your not careful.

Every garden that I've ever had, I have NEVER tested the soil ph. Why? Because I know what needs to be done to the soil to make it optimal for my gardens, flowers, trees, etc.... I don't think about it, I just do it.

Not everyone can do that however, especially if your just starting out gardening. This thread will start teaching you ways to change the ph of your soil to benefit your plants.

It is not always easy to change the ph. There may be some work involved. But, if your serious about growing good, healthy plants, then you won't mind the work.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The ph of your soil, what is it, and how do you change it?
4/12/2013 5:59:52 PM
Good information, David. There is nothing quite as satisfying as habing a good garden.
+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/12/2013 6:27:57 PM
Hi Dave,
I have been gardening for years, but am always open to learn more.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2013 9:10:31 AM

As a garden pro this is a common call from customers.

Firstly, if you get to know your plants then you can usually be fairly accurate in guessing local ph.

Rhododendrons, Kalmias, Robinia etc. prefer acid soil and look yellow and sad on lime however fed unless in containers.

There are real indicator plants for most conditions, exposure, shade, sun, boggy etc.

Best advice:

Short-term change can be effective when growing certain short-term crops. Cabbages like a little lime for example. There are other things too bear in mind too. Folk frequently plant carrots in newly manured ground thinking that they will benefit, unfortunately, like most root vegetables, they like to push down to find nutrients. If the root finds food too soon it takes advantage and forks into several roots. Very difficult to scrape or peel.

Knowledge of these little things goes a lot further than books full of complicated facts.

So, learn to read your plants.

Roger

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2013 4:44:43 PM
Hi Roger,

I am glad you mentioned carrots. I have planted carrots several times they grew well looked great, but had very little taste. Nothing like the ones I get from California. Is it something lacking in the soil?
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!