Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
When You Don't want to use a REAL Image of yourself!
1/13/2013 5:22:15 PM
I had a message from a member this morning about profile images ( something that keeps getting talked about) and he stated that he does not want to be seen on the net. This post is for you and to others who would rather not use a real image. I hope it helps give you a different point of view with suggestions to get around that squirmy issue!

Debates can get hot when both sides are taking |AdlandPro
Last evening via Facebook, I had an interesting debate with a group of people regarding using your image on your profile - on one side there were those who said that you were not real nor credible UNLESS you showed your real face. The other side of the debate was that there are those people who for one reason or another who do not want to show their real face for personal reasons and at one point the debate became rather hot.

I came away from this debate seeing both sides of the equation and realized ( I always did by the way) that for some people using a picture of themselves is something that is to be avoided.

The reality is that the side that said..be real, be credible use a picture is an issue that people on Adland, might also be going through in terms of NOT WANTING to be "seen"

A picture can also be worth a Thousand clicks!|AdlandPro

The saying " A picture is worth a thousand words" could be translated to A picture is worth a thousand clicks" needs to be looked at from the side of..I don't want my picture to been seen, I don't want to be known on the net.......

Is there an answer?

YES!

Here are some suggestions if you do not want to be known on the net, but you also want to be seen as a credible person:

1 Create a logo of your business and use that as an avatar.

2 Create a brand that will be lasting and as a friend of mine has done, find an image of yourself and photoshop it to make you unique.

3 Create a QR code of your business and use it as a profile image.

The reality is using the default image on Adland or anywhere else by the way, is not going to help you market yourself and it certainly is not going to market your business.

One added thought to help you understand why putting an image on your profile is important. When using an image and putting in a good alt text, you are using organic marketing. When you are active on Adland and elsewhere, that profile image will eventually be on Google in the image search. By using good keywords, when people are doing a search on a targeted query, then it is possible that what that person finds, will be YOU!

Here is another thought about When a picture is worth a thousand clicks and talks about what you convey as a brand...good article by the way!
+1
Akin Ola

2 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: When You Don't want to use a REAL Image of yourself!
2/2/2013 2:58:20 PM
I think that to be seen on online is not that of a bigger issue. The real issue is that some companies tend to use your data for their own monetary gains. If it is all that simple everyone would like to post their pictures online, but how do know where your pictures end or who really had your picture. To be honest with you all our piture is already with one of the networks media, but don't let them them more advantage of you than you want to because you trying ot make money online, it could cost more that what you bargain for. Most of this companies do not put their pictures online, unless they have to...
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: When You Don't want to use a REAL Image of yourself!
2/2/2013 5:36:10 PM
Good morning Akin and you have raised a good issue that should be explored and as I am understanding what you have said( please correct me if I am wrong) can a social network, a company make money off your profile image?

Here are the facts as I am aware of them and hopefully will give you another point of view.

Every company,every social network (online but to a certain extent offline) keeps an eye on the demographics of every user or customer in their data base. When understanding the demographics of people, then that company or network can tailor their advertising to a specific person based on their age, where they live, their gender and their interests. Facebook is especially noted for this and many an outcry has occurred ( which is why Facebook had to further add on privacy settings.) Google also does it, but in a different manner.

Adlandpro also has the ability to know demographics as shown here and will give and an interesting point of view... by the way, not just what the owner knows, but what everyone on Adlandpro can know about the people who come to this site.

Adlandpro.com Site Info.png

Images -> specifically profile images
Can a company or social network make money off of a persons profile image?

At this point I am going to say no for the simple reason that there would be no monetary value to a profile image. The only person who stands to benefit from a profile image is you and showing you as a credible resource or person to talk to.

Most companies today are now starting to change their stance on showing the human side to their companies or social networks...take Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, just as an example
Mark Zuckerberg showing the human side to a business |Adlandrpo discusssion

its called brand recognition and and important aspect to being on line whether you are working or even just socializing.

The topic of this forum is about those people who for whatever reason are reluctant to show their faces in public ( for lack of a better wording). I feel we all need to respect that, I really do, but here is a counter question to you...when you show a NO face what are you telling people? It is a bit of a contradiction to saying I want to make money online, I want people to come to me, but hell no not showing my face ( see what I mean?)
If you do not want to show your "face" I would rather a person do as I know many others have done, put up an avatar or the logo of the company your are representing....both of those options are very workable and doable.

I am unsure if I have really answered what you were wanting, but felt that giving my point of view would help,if not you personally others who are trying to figure out the issue of images..personal images and the pros and cons to the debate.

PS just to let you know there are computers being made (already working models) that will be able to recognize your face in moments and the information will not come from social networks, but through government agencies ( drivers licences etc.)
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!