Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Dave Brubeck, Jazz Great, RIP
12/6/2012 3:19:34 PM
Hello Friends,

I've been a jazz lover since my teens and Dave Brubeck and his "Dave Brubeck Quartet" were my favorite Jazz artists. It saddened me to hear that Dave Brubeck died today at age 91.

Two of my favorite compositions were Take Five and Blue Rondo A La Turk and you'll find both in videos below performed by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Dave Brubeck is on the piano, the great Paul Desmond on the Sax, Eugene Wright - Bass and Joe Morello on the drums.

RIP, Dave Brubeck.

Shalom,

Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc34Uj8wlmE&feature=player_embedded

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Dave Brubeck, Jazz Great, RIP
12/6/2012 8:33:26 PM

Peter,

Dave Brubeck was instrumental in showing me that jazz wasn't all New Orleans trad.

I went on to love others like Cannonball Aderley.

Brubeck had style and sophistication, not a common factor in long-term successful music makers.

A sad loss but a precious life of creativity.

Roger

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Dave Brubeck, Jazz Great, RIP
12/7/2012 6:22:27 PM
Hi Roger,

Dave Brubeck and his quartet did add to the jazz scene with their additional beats and went on to be loved by many jazz aficionados.

I must add though that I learned to love New Orleans jazz when I was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi which was not all that far from Louisiana. I spent most weekends in New Orleans and found many jazz clubs in the French Quarter with old timer musicians who taught me a lot about real jazz.

Needless to say that Louis Armstrong was also a resident of New Orleans and I heard him at concerts in New Orleans and many jam sessions in the French Quarter.

BTW, I am still the proud owner of the original record "Time Out" in which you can find Blue Rondo A La Turk and Take Five along with other great compositions.

Shalom,

Peter

Quote:

Peter,

Dave Brubeck was instrumental in showing me that jazz wasn't all New Orleans trad.

I went on to love others like Cannonball Aderley.

Brubeck had style and sophistication, not a common factor in long-term successful music makers.

A sad loss but a precious life of creativity.

Roger

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!