Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
One-of-a-kind da Vinci work unveiled
8/30/2012 9:11:48 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Metal casting from Leonardo da Vinci’s 500-year-old ‘Horse and Rider’ sculpture unveiled

The first bronze casting of Leonardo da Vinci's original "Horse and Rider" wax sculpture (Jolson PR)

A metal casting of a 504-year-old Leonardo da Vinci beeswax sculpture was unveiled to the world in a ceremony on Monday in Los Angeles. "Horse and Rider" is the only known three-dimensional piece of art created by Leonardo to still exist in the world and one of only about two dozen authenticated Leonardo works in the world today.

"It's a momentous occasion," Art Encounter's Rod Maly told Yahoo News before the unveiling at the historic Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. "The beeswax sculpture has been in private collections for nearly 500 years, so it has not been promoted. Nothing like this has ever happened in the history of mankind."

And in a development that is sure to intrigue historians and art fans alike, the sculpture is believed to contain a thumbprint of Leonardo.

The original beeswax sculpture measures 12 inches high, 12 inches long and 7 inches wide, and is believed to have been intended as the model for a much larger sculpture. The Renaissance military figure riding upon a horse was created in 1508 by Leonardo as a gift for his friend and benefactor, French military governor Charles d'Amboise. After Leonardo's death in 1519, the beeswax sculpture was given to his apprentice Francesco Mezi and is believed to have remained with his family in Italy until the 1930s when it was moved to Switzerland for safekeeping.

A thumbprint believed to belong to Leonardo Da Vinci (Eric Pfeiffer/Yahoo! News)

In 1985, American businessman Richard A. Lewis purchased the beeswax sculpture but says he wasn't aware of its historic value. "In all honesty, I was very naïve to what I had," Lewis told Yahoo News during an interview before the new bronze casting's unveiling. That same year, Lewis contacted Dr. Carlo Pedretti, widely considered the world's foremost living authority on Leonardo and professor emeritus of art history and the Chair of Leonardo Studies at UCLA. Dr. Pedretti studied and eventually authenticated the beeswax sculpture.

"For someone to call up and say 'I think I own a Leonardo da Vinci sculpture,' you're like yeah right, I'd like to put it next to my Mona Lisa," Brett Barney, president of the American Fine Arts Foundrytold Yahoo News. "But when he brought it in, right away we knew we had something."

Using what is called a "lost wax casting process," Barney and his team at the foundry spent three years working with the beeswax sculpture and eventually created a working mold from it. From there, a master bronze sculpture was created. In essence, they have created a new piece of authenticated work from one of the world's artistic masters, nearly 500 years after his death.

"It's the opportunity of a lifetime," Barney said. "To be part of a masterpiece by da Vinci himself, I can't think of anybody that would be more prestigious."

When the beeswax sculpture was studied in detail, it was discovered that along the horse's right breast a thumbprint exists. And while there is currently no way to verify, the print is believed to be Leonardo's.

The beeswax sculpture actually sat in Lewis' closet for more than 25 years before he contacted the foundry. And now, Lewis is determined to share the discovery with the world. And along with the piece's historic value, Lewis is using the unveiling for a good cause. Several hundred metal castings have been made from the newly created mold, which Art Encounter will make available to interested collectors. Lewis himself has committed to donating $1 million of the proceeds to the Salvation Army's substance abuse program.

"It is a magnificent piece of art and I'd like to have as many people as possible be able to appreciate it," Lewis told Yahoo News. He said he eventually plans to donate the original beeswax sculpture and master casting to a museum.

After its unveiling in Los Angeles, the new mold and master sculpture will be displayed in New York, London and Las Vegas, home to a new Leonardo exhibit at the Venetian Hotel.

The new "Horse and Rider" mold taken from Leonardo's beeswax sculpture. (Jolson PR)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: One-of-a-kind da Vinci work unveiled
8/30/2012 9:30:34 PM

Luis,

This is wonderful.

To think that this has been hidden away for so long.

It is beautiful.

Roger

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/31/2012 5:59:39 PM
Miguel,

This is so exciting, to think of it just being somewhere for all these years. I think of "everything happens for a reason" maybe it is happening now to get money for the Salvation Army. I think that is super wonderful.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/31/2012 10:12:09 PM
Roger and Myrna,

You both are so right, this has been a wonderful finding. And it has been so because there is no doubt it is a Leonardo that we are talking about: you only need to have the right artistic appreciation, plus know about Leonardo's lifelong drive for perfection to realize that this magnificent, most beautiful sculpture can only be his work.

Like you, I also believe there is a reason for these findings, Myrna; it really seems there is a mysterious, supernatural cause behind them. This a time of disclosures occurring everywhere.

I appreciate your kind visit and feedback.

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/1/2012 12:11:40 AM
Dear friends,

Apart from the recently found Leonardo's horse presented in this thread, there is another most famous Leonardo Da Vinci's horse sculpture in history that he conceived but never finished. It was gigantic and absolutely beautiful, and had been commissioned by the Duke of Milan. Here is an article in Wikipedia that tells more about it.

Leonardo's horse

Leonardo da Vinci's study of horses (click here to view it enlarged)
Leonardo's horse
is a sculpture that was commissioned ofLeonardo da Vinci in 1482 by Duke of Milan Ludovico il Moro, but not completed. It was intended to be the largest equestrian statue in the world, a monument to the duke's father Francesco. Leonardo did extensive preparatory work for it, but produced only a clay model, which was destroyed by French soldiers when they invaded Milan in 1499, interrupting the project. About five centuries later, Leonardo's surviving design materials were used as the basis for sculptures intended to bring the project to fruition.

Modern versions

In 1977, Charles Dent began work to complete the unfinished sculpture in Allentown, Pennsylvania. His efforts to set up an organization to finance the project proved a difficult task that required more than 15 years. The projected cost of the horse came to nearly US$2.5 million. Dent died of Lou Gehrig's diseasein 1994, leaving his private art collection to LDVHI (Leonardo da Vinci's Horse, Inc.), the sale of which brought more than $1 million to the fund. In 1988, LDVHI enlisted sculptor/painter Garth Herrick to begin part-time work on the horse.

Leonardo's Horse, replica in Milan (San Siro hippodrome) (click here to view it enlarged)

By 1997, Tallix Art Foundry, in Beacon, New York, the company contracted by LDVHI to cast the horse, had suggested bringingNina Akamu, an experienced animal sculptor, on board to improve upon the Dent-Herrick horse. After several months, Akamu determined that the original model could not be salvaged and concluded that a completely new sculpture needed to be executed.

Leonardo had made numerous small sketches of horses to help illustrate his notes about the complex procedures for molding and casting the sculpture. But his notes were far from systematic, and none of the sketches points to the final position of the horse, with no single definitive drawing of the statue. Akamu researched multiple information sources to gain insight into the original sculptor's intentions. She studied both Leonardo's notes and drawings of the horse and those of other projects he was working on. She reviewed his thoughts on anatomy, painting, sculpture and natural phenomena. Her research expanded to include the teachers who had influenced Leonardo. Akamu also studied Iberian horse breeds, such as the Andalusian, which were favored by the Sforza stables in the late 15th century.

Two full-size casts were made of Akamu's 24-foot (7.3 meter) design. One was placed at the Hippodrome de San Siro in Milan. The other is at the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, a botanical garden and sculpture park in Grand Rapids, Michigan, paid for by billionaire Frederik Meijer.

A smaller replica (twelve feet) has been placed in downtown Allentown's Community Art Park adjacent to the Baum School of Art, in honor of Charles Dent. A bronze replica (eight feet) was installed 15 September 2001 at Piazza della Libertà in Vinci, Italy, the birth town of Leonardo.

Another 24-foot-high recreation of the Sforza horse, based on different design interpretation, was manufactured by the Opera Laboratori Fiorentini S.p.A., in collaboration with Polo Museale Fiorentino and the Institute and Museum of the History of Science in Florence, Italy. It is made of steel frame with special resin coated fibreglass, to make it look like bronze. It is made of six pieces and can be transported and re-assembled. It has been at display at various locations during exhibitions on Leonardo. Some of these are;[1]

1. "The Mind of Leonardo" at the Museum of Modern Art, Debrecen, Hungary. (16 August to 2 December 2007).
  2. "Leonardo: 500 Years into the Future" at the Tech Museum, San Jose, USA (27 September 2008 to 25 January 2009)
  3. "The Mind of Leonardo" at the Palazzo Venezia, Rome, Italy (1 May to 30 August 2009)
  4. "Leonardo da Vinci - Hand of the Genius" Sifly Piazza at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia[2], (6 October 2009 to February 6, 2010).

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!